All Small Six Wire connection Duraspark II

This relates to all small sixes

adobejoe

Engine running much smoother, carb set well and drove around the block. Think it just needed to wake up! Running on load a matic and Autolite 1101 Thinking my remanufactured advanced distributer should be here any day. I am close to putting the gauge panel back in place but thinking I should get the wiring right on my electronic ignition harness. My ignition switch seems to have five wires coming out. Yellow, pink (or red), another pink (or red), black w/ green stripe and black. Attached is a couple pics. From what I can tell with the mustang Steve printout I have four wires (after plug connection fitted). The yellow would go to a tachometer. The red goes to + on coil, or can connect on engine side of firewall, maybe splice near firewall plug.? white goes to “S” terminal of starter relay. Brown I am at a loss as to where it goes.
I have two diagrams. The mustang Steve diagram and this that came with harness

Attachments

• EDFFA5B5-558F-4D2D-ACC7-1250EC6BF25D.jpeg
    EDFFA5B5-558F-4D2D-ACC7-1250EC6BF25D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • BD880637-5736-43DF-A071-B90357F52889.jpeg
    BD880637-5736-43DF-A071-B90357F52889.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 419F61A2-24CC-4F9C-86CC-2C4B8B9A0BE9.jpeg
    419F61A2-24CC-4F9C-86CC-2C4B8B9A0BE9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Engine running much smoother, carb set well and drove around the block. Think it just needed to wake up! Running on load a matic and Autolite 1101 Thinking my remanufactured advanced distributer should be here any day. I am close to putting the gauge panel back in place but thinking I should get the wiring right on my electronic ignition harness. My ignition switch seems to have five wires coming out. Yellow, pink (or red), another pink (or red), black w/ green stripe and black. Attached is a couple pics. From what I can tell with the mustang Steve printout I have four wires (after plug connection fitted). The yellow would go to a tachometer. The red goes to + on coil, or can connect on engine side of firewall, maybe splice near firewall plug.? white goes to “S” terminal of starter relay. Brown I am at a loss as to where it goes.
You should have checked on the forums for sale section on small six for sale.
I have several options which will be custom curved for your combo. Bill wsa111
Message me or email me at billythedistributorman@live.com

brown should go to the I terminal on the solenoid. It will supply a full 12V to the coil + terminal during cranking. If you're using a stock coil you will need to have the red/green wire from the firewall connector supplying power to the coil (but not to the Duraspark box red wire).

The MustangSteve diagram assumes you have a "high performance" coil that does not require a ballast resistor. There's a resistor wire under the dash that serves as a ballast in most of the early Fords. It lives between the +12 coming from the ignition switch and the red/green wire coming out of the firewall.

Replace the stock coil with one intended for "electronic ignition", which means it's set up to withstand full 12V power., then use a full 12V power source to it. Otherwise the benefit of hotter spark by doing the conversion is lost. For example:

I'm using this coil on a DS2 conversion on a 300. Works well.

(PS- this particular coil does not have screw-on connectors, requires fabricating or using this plug. I'm using the plug.

Replace the stock coil with one intended for "electronic ignition", which means it's set up to withstand full 12V power., then use a full 12V power source to it. Otherwise the benefit of hotter spark by doing the conversion is lost. For example:

I'm using this coil on a DS2 conversion on a 300. Works well.

(PS- this particular coil does not have screw-on connectors, requires fabricating or using this plug. I'm using the plug.
I agree with the coil recommendation but feel the need to clarify: The application note for this coil @Frank references states that it is appropriate for (among others) a 1975 Maverick/Mustang/... . Those cars came from the factory with the pink resistor wire in the coil positive supply circuit. This means that this coil does require a ballast resistor (if your vehicle does not have the pink wire in that circuit) and that it could be damaged if a full 12V is applied to the positive terminal. This, in turn, means that you still need to find a +12 source for the Duraspark box red wire.

@adobejoe - perhaps this clip from the Ford manuals may help. It has the connector info for DS-II and color references for all three types - Solid State (green grommet), Federal Emissions DS-II (blue grommet) and high-energy DS-I (red grommet). While sending your distributor out for re-curving is easier and it should be closer to optimal(y); with some effort you can do it on your engine with timing tape (degree markings), a timing light and a hand vacuum pump, if you're strapped or time-limited. Yeah, the way hot rodders used to do it for best results with your engine and your fuel in your conditions. ;)

Dura-Spark-I-II-wiring.jpg

And a layout image from Ford for reference:
Dura-Spark2-Layout.jpg

I have lots more info on the DuraSpark series if needed. Good luck! :cool:

@adobejoe - perhaps this clip from the Ford manuals may help. It has the connector info for DS-II and color references for all three types - Solid State (green grommet), Federal Emissions DS-II (blue grommet) and high-energy DS-I (red grommet). While sending your distributor out for re-curving is easier and it should be closer to optimal(y); with some effort you can do it on your engine with timing tape (degree markings), a timing light and a hand vacuum pump, if you're strapped or time-limited. Yeah, the way hot rodders used to do it for best results with your engine and your fuel in your conditions. ;)

Dura-Spark-I-II-wiring.jpg

And a layout image from Ford for reference:
Dura-Spark2-Layout.jpg

I have lots more info on the DuraSpark series if needed. Good luck! :cool:
How does the owner know what to curve his distributor?
If he does, what would take him 2 days to do, i can do it in less than several hours.
Another factor, the small six crankshaft damper if old can rotate on the hub.

Back