Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

mild rebuild of 200 - cam, lifters, piston questions

Moderator: Mod Squad

timson

Re: mild rebuild of 200 - cam, lifters, piston questions

Post #51 by timson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:02 pm

Sounds great, Cometman! Just what I´m looking for! Thanks for the tip!

Meanwhile, was I wise to decide to repaint the engine bay in the middle of winter? Now my project has slowed considerably while I wait for warmer conditions for painting before putting everything back in! I´ve still got to size up a new driveshaft and work out the rear support mod. for the C4.

Oh well, a good time to look into other items (seatbelts, stereo, etc.).

Cheers,
Tim

62Cometman

Post #52 by 62Cometman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am

I painted mine in the back half of winter, it was early march, the lack of humidity allowed the paint to level properly and it came out looking fantastic and glossy, i would choose a decently warm day though, probably in the mid 40s at least. As for the cross member MAC's and AutoKrafter's both offer a bolt in c4 conversion cross member for these cars if you dont feel like making it yourself.
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, Dagenham Trans, 2.83:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

timson

Post #53 by timson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks again, Cometman.

The weather is slowly getting close to being a better temp, so I´m happy to attend to other things in the meantime.

That may include temporarily putting the engine/tranny combo back in to get measurements for the driveshaft and support and get those in the pipeline so once painted, it´s all just plug n play!

Regarding the support you mention, I´ll double check, but I believe it only works on cars made in late '61 forward, that had a lateral piece that curves up into the trans tunnel to which it bolts. Early roundbodies like mine, lack that piece and therefore have nothing to bolt it to. There is only one relatively flat support going straight across, under the trans, from one side of the chassis structure to the other. The trans was supported by two cylindrical rubber pads that bolt between it and the top of the support.

I´m hoping to modify this piece to use with the C4, particularly because it includes the e-brake lever. Preliminary measurements indicate the C4 needing support about 1" further back than the Cometdrive, and possibly a bit lower to maintain the proper angle.

I´m going to try to attach some pics. It would be nice to have more heads than mine brainstorming a simple, strong fix!

Cheers,
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.