200 blocks, again...

A

Anonymous

Has anyone had a major problem with 200 blocks cracking at the front, between the right-front cyl head bolt hole and the water pump opening? I'm on my second.

The first was cracked from the water pump opening at about 9:30 and didn't seem to be terminal, until I torqued the head in place and the corner of the block fell off.

The second is clearly cracked from the bolt hole on the deck around the corner the water pump opening.

Has anyone had luck repairing a block in this situation???

p.s. I did verify the head bolt length and chased all the threads before the final cleaning.

My experience with cracking in the front right is only based on the tall deck Aussie 250 cross flows, not shallow deck US 200 cubers.

I do know that the head bolt is supposed to be thread sealed on the Aussie cross flows, and that the front cylinder gets very cold compared to the others. Number one always is way cooler than the others, its one of the only major faults with these engines.

Does any one out there know if thermal stress causes cracking in the front right above the water pump with US 200 cube engines?

Back