Odometer ABCs

A

Anonymous

Just got back at my pony and the odometer works again. It reads "330008". Is it 330,008 or 33,000 miles? If its the latter then what does "8" stands for? If I go ORE than 100,000 miles then what will happen next? How will I know if the pony's odometer is correct and wasn't tampered?

I'm still working on my horrible vacuum leak.

On my 66 the first 5 digits are miles...and the last represents a 10th of a mile. So mine reads 225478...thats 22,547 miles and 8 tenths

More than likely that is not a correct reading on the odometer.

Most of these cars (unless original owner and paper cars) have had gauges replaced. Many have rolled over (which is what happens when the gauge reaches 100,000 it rolls over to 0).

So it is likely you have either....

133,000 miles or 233,000 miles on the car. If it had only 33,000 original miles that would be very easy to see by checking the car mechanically. I have only personally seen two cars that have had that low of a mileage and could prove it.

I have installed a new gauge with a 0 reading for the new engine. I had 176,000 miles apporx. on the old odometer. I say approx. because the Speedo was off by 25 mph too fast in the old tranny, so no idea how long the car was reading too many miles per revolution.

Hope this helps.

Yup...

Mine is either 122,xxx or 222, xxx either way..it is paid. Jimbo, did you get your speedo gear yet..if so..where did you get it and how did you calc the ratio....Jim

Your speedo gear is determined by your tire size and your rear end ratio. I got mine at a local Mustang shop,"Mustangs & More" for about $8.00. They had a chart to match it up. I would assume that any good parts house could do the same.

Back