200ci 1966 Mustang 200 I6 stalling when choke is fully open

This applies only to 200ci
What psi does it make in the tank? If it is just a battery powered tire inflator, not enough volume, you would need to pump up an air tank
My tank will go up to 150psi and you can regulate it up or down for force. I will be going out today and trying this fix before I go back to work.

Alright.. I believe I have found my issue. The Autolite 1100 is suppose to have 4 check balls, 1 with a weight. I took the carb apart and blew everything out, but found a check ball missing before I used my compressor. I had extra from past kits and threw one in. The car will idle with the automatic choke completely open now. Sounds a little rough out the tail pipe, so I am going to try and take it for a drive and see if that clears things up.

I have taken the carb apart twice since I have gotten it rebuilt, I do not remember tipping it sideways at all (I am always afraid of losing check balls) so I am not sure if the ball was missing originally after the rebuild and somehow ran without it, or in the process of taking it apart before I lost the ball myself.

Sounds like now you just need to run it to clear up the plugs, maybe a little carb mixture adjustment, or a little timing adjustment.
I put my mixture screw back to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 turns out (can't remember which now) and lowered the idle screw. She runs pretty solid now, I had previously hooked a tester up to the transmission vacuum to adjust my timing, seemed to help out quite a bit. I took a trip out to the cemetery to see my father, and the ole gal runs much better now. I plan to make a few more short trips and start taking her to work again before the winter season (I bought extended antique plates). A short 15 minute drive really, but I can just go a little slower and give her time to clear up more.

It's good that your car is running better now. I'm afraid I must add a "yes, but - " to muddy the waters though. I checked my '66 factory manual and some old 1100 rebuild kit instructions to see if my memory served me right. The fourth check ball, the one kind of over the SCV, is supposedly only for the 223 and 262 engines. Three balls is correct for your application, an 1100 on a 200 with a C4. One by the accelerator pump, one by the dashpot on the other side of the carb for automatic transmission cars, and the one with a weight on top next to the carburetor throat on the accelerator pump side. Maybe the extra ball is somehow at least partially compensating for whatever unknown problem is causing your issues. I'm not sure what the function of the fourth ball is. But the fact that it's located near the SCV makes me wonder if it affects the distributor vacuum signal somehow, which would point to a timing issue for your car. That doesn't mean there couldn't be a fuel issue too. On cars this old, anything is possible...

It's good that your car is running better now. I'm afraid I must add a "yes, but - " to muddy the waters though. I checked my '66 factory manual and some old 1100 rebuild kit instructions to see if my memory served me right. The fourth check ball, the one kind of over the SCV, is supposedly only for the 223 and 262 engines. Three balls is correct for your application, an 1100 on a 200 with a C4. One by the accelerator pump, one by the dashpot on the other side of the carb for automatic transmission cars, and the one with a weight on top next to the carburetor throat on the accelerator pump side. Maybe the extra ball is somehow at least partially compensating for whatever unknown problem is causing your issues. I'm not sure what the function of the fourth ball is. But the fact that it's located near the SCV makes me wonder if it affects the distributor vacuum signal somehow, which would point to a timing issue for your car. That doesn't mean there couldn't be a fuel issue too. On cars this old, anything is possible...
Message received. I looked in my book too, same thing. But Mike's Carburetor mentioned there is one version of the 1100 that requires four check balls. He says it's the model with a dash pot like mine. I'm going to look into it some more, but the car at least runs right now and that makes me happy.

Back