crack in intake manifold/head I6 200 what should I do?

Well, it looks like the weld has failed to hold. The crack appears not to be leaking exhaust, but marginally weeping (perhaps fuel when the motor is stopped hot, or gasket sealant). Or - possibly even oil from prior to painting.

Brazing might fix it.

If you are able to ascertain no exhaust gases, no vacuum loss - I'd keep an eye on it but not lose any sleep.

Regards, Adam.

If my head was cracked like that, it'd drive me nuts.

I'd check where the crack starts and ends, drill a small hole at the end(s) to keep it from getting worse, open up the crack with the dremel and braze it shut.

turbo_fairlane_200":162hepua said:
you could grind a shallow V with a dremel (1/16" or so) and just epoxy over it.

Oh yes, thank God for jb weld! I have gone through at least six packets of the stuff on this project of mine, and love it.

Kirk

very useful when welding up oil pans and you keep getting pinholes in the welds from the oily metal....also useful when you put the wrong oilpump drive in (one off a 2.3 OHC) that is WAY short and the oil in the pump is holding it in place to firmly to lift it out with a magnet....

if it is a simple garage rebuild I would just JB it for now as welding it will prob slightly warp the head and seats a little to where a full remachine would be needed (at least for insurance)

found that there is a very small vac leak and will keep an eye on it.

Sincerely,
Deb

I have exactly the same problem with my rebuilt head. In noticed the crack in the exhaust flange already when installing the head, and soon after I saw the growth in freshly painted intake :(
I took the other one to workshop to have spare if the crack starts to grow.
This time I also asked them to do crack test/check for it, not loose another 250$

Back