I spoke with John from Pony Carbs this week

I've got a bone stock (except Ignitor II/Blaster coil) 200 I6, C4, 2.83 gears, 24.7" diameter tires and get 25mpg highway at an average speed of 70 mph on a 500 mile round trip. 8)

One of these days I'll get the T5 and a fuel injection setup, and hopefully see closer to 30mpg.

LaGrasta":17hvahyr said:
After all the back-and-forth about John's claim "nobody gets that kind of fuel economy", I started to wonder if I put words in his mouth.
I went back and listened to the conversation and he did say exactly those word's, "nobody gets that kind of fuel economy".

Wait a second... you RECORD your phone conversations? :shock:

I refuse to buy anything from Pony Carbs because of the way I was treated when I called requesting a Autolite 2 barrel carb for my I6.

Granted this was before he dyno'ed Mike's car but it doesn't sound like his attitude has changed much.

I was treated like I was dumber than dirt for even thinking of putting a two barrel carb on an I6 and he didn't want to hear what anyone else thought or had done.

Closed minded thinking is bad enough but being verbally abusive to his customers is too much.

I hope AzCoupe can utilize his knowledge of carbs to bring an outstanding product to the Ford Six community but I won't be using one of his products.

I don't think he can substantiate his claims of increased power and fuel economy anyway.

Bob

i didn't record our conversation. he had left a very detailed message for me here at work. I was able to go into our phone center to listen again.

Obviously John is sorely mistaken about us getting 20+ mph. In spite of that, I have the feeling, "his" carb would result in better mpg. So much so, he'd even be surprised. The dyno data was very, very surprisingly. It far exceeded what anyone had calculated or even guessed. If the hp results were that drastically better, I'd have to think John's claim of 10% better mpg, more than likely, is conservative.

Like addo said, my Excel calculator can clearly show how soon until the mod pays for itself. I drive roughly 300 miles per week. At over 10k a year and even only 2 mpg more, the pay-off is about a year. And all the while a better running, more hp car? I may make the jump to Pony Carbs sometime in the future. I have start and finish my C4 swap in the next month or two. I'll then record my new mpg with the C4 and then consider the carb swap.

LaGrasta":10i3mldk said:
i didn't record our conversation. he had left a very detailed message for me here at work. I was able to go into our phone center to listen again.

Obviously John is sorely mistaken about us getting 20+ mph. In spite of that, I have the feeling, "his" carb would result in better mpg. So much so, he'd even be surprised. The dyno data was very, very surprisingly. It far exceeded what anyone had calculated or even guessed. If the hp results were that drastically better, I'd have to think John's claim of 10% better mpg, more than likely, is conservative.

Like addo said, my Excel calculator can clearly show how soon until the mod pays for itself. I drive roughly 300 miles per week. At over 10k a year and even only 2 mpg more, the pay-off is about a year. And all the while a better running, more hp car? I may make the jump to Pony Carbs sometime in the future. I have start and finish my C4 swap in the next month or two. I'll then record my new mpg with the C4 and then consider the carb swap.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of that swap when you are able to compile and post them.

One thing that will be important if not critical, of course, is to make sure the carb is optimally configured and tuned for the engine. Out of curiousity, what do you have or have access to in the way of facilities or tools for achieving that?

SixFoFalcon":2kwbf28j said:
LaGrasta":2kwbf28j said:
After all the back-and-forth about John's claim "nobody gets that kind of fuel economy", I started to wonder if I put words in his mouth.
I went back and listened to the conversation and he did say exactly those word's, "nobody gets that kind of fuel economy".

Wait a second... you RECORD your phone conversations? :shock:

Why? You could just contact NSA or ATT for a tape backup of the convo :p ONLY kidding :)

I last got 210 miles/8 gallons= 26.25 Highway, with a rich running, stock jetted 1100 and DP dizzy. Can't wait to see what the T-5 and better tuned carb can do.

I got 19.5 with my F150 "brick" (see signature) with 80+ city miles and a 70 mph trip of over 200 miles total on winter gas...not a particularly good test...and he says you folks can't get 20 mpg?

But what kind of driving habits are we talking about here?

You know the old man in the funny hat puttering along like he's gonna live forever? Drive just like that guy!

It takes some mental re-training to drive for mileage, but once you are there, it's kind of fun. Then you can be a bit smug, and make fun of Prius drivers for dropping a fortune on their trendy disposables, while you get close to the same actual mileage.
I don't drive for mileage in the Corvair, there is a some space between idle and WOT, but it rarely sees that area, just too much fun.

The 1946 is a very nice 1bbl carb. 5200 a very nice 2bbl carb.
The 1946 was designed to sit on a 200, and extract the best mileage possible, at the time. There isn't that much that needs adjusting on one out of the box.
A 5200 will need some tuning, experimenting, and probably some jets, but I can't see that one or the other, once -properly- set up, would be more efficient.
The "problem" with a 5200 is that is has more headroom. You are far more likely to stomp on it if you know it will do more than just change the way the engine sounds...
Rick(wrench)

One of the items that will help gas mileage, and reduce fatigue on long trips, is a Cruise Control. Costs about $110 and is an easy one afternoon installation. Platinum Plugs and Synthetic Oil were worth about 1 1/2 MPG. When my 200/C4 was running the 1100 with Pertronix I, I would get 25-26 MPG @ 60-65 MPH with the top up. It would drop to 21-22 with the top down @ 80 MPH.

I can't wait to go on a road trip with the HW 5200 and DS II setup.

Repayment at our present fuel prices, would occur in 18 months. That, to me, represents an investment.

I accept the claim of Pony Carbs, based on the caveat of an engine/driveline in optimal health and standard condition with normal driving conditions. No low compression, poor timing, slipping trans or flat tyres.

rickwrench":1kppcion said:
The "problem" with a 5200 is that is has more headroom. You are far more likely to stomp on it if you know it will do more than just change the way the engine sounds...
Rick(wrench)

harte3":1kppcion said:
A vacuum guage is a real revealer of driving habits...stay out of the power valve.

You guys are killing me. Listening to the secondary howl is 99% of the fun! Especially since I got the headers installed!

I gave it a try on the way to work today, and you're both right of course. The needle barely dipped by the time I made it home, and normally I can burn through a lot more than that. It's not a long trip either.

I'm guessing the offy boys have a similar conundrum - even when you know that your mileage drops precipitously every time to decide to play speed demon, it's REAL hard to resist the urge to just open 'er up and cut loose.

LaGrasta,

I hope that you keep & post a detailed account of that swap :) I want to do one myself once I get the C4 rebuilt.

I have a lot of items for the swap to TBI on the 170 but I don't want to stop driving it long enough to actually do it. If a new carb will get me into the mid to high 20s in MPG for around $400 then does anybody want some EFI components for a good price ;)

Back