Is it worth putting HEADERS on a stock six 200 motor or not

JMB

My 1966 Mustang has the original 200 inline 6 in totally stock setup. Is it worth putting HEADERS on a stock motor or not? Is the amount of power gains worth the BIG $$$ cost of the Headers + the 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust pipe + (Flowmasters mufler) + the labor for the installation all the way to the back of the car? Thanks in advance.

Short answer: No. Not for the performance gains by themselves. As a good base for more modifications, yes. If sound is more important, yes. Depends on what you want it for.

Opening up the exhaust side does very little without opening up the intake side. Your first and biggest gain will come from an electronic ignition (Pertronix, DuraSpark, DUI). The gains with exhaust headers are largely cosmetic except if you do a less restrictive muffler.

The stock I6 muffler is mounted transversely over the rear axle with a 1-3/4 pipe. You can have a muffler shop fab up an adaptor from the 3" collectors at the header outlet and then mount a stock 2" V* exhaust pipe straight out the back with the muffler of your choice. That way you get a real cool sound. I am very happy with my Flowmaster 40.

I would say "No" as well.

First port of call for me would be a dual pattern cam, new lifters, uprated single springs and adjustable timing set. Be warned that not all mechanics are intelligent/attentive enough to get the cam dialled in correctly - even when they have the opportunity. :roll:

I say yes for all reasons.
First the performance gain will be very small, but as stated before is the foundation for future modifications.
Second is engine compartment looks & exhaust sound.
You have the very restrictive 1 1/2" exhaust manifold outlet & very small headpipe.
I would bet you would gain 5 HP if combined with a less restrictive air cleaner. Bill

No. A header would be one of the last items to upgrade as it does very little by itself other than cause exhaust leaks and engine bay heat problems.
I vote for the Pertronix (electronic ignition) upgrade. Cheap ($99), easy(20minutes), and eye opening upgrade the moment you touch the key. Next is an efficient and responsive carb set-up such as a Pony carb.

Gene Fiore had a stock 250 maverick & then added hooker headers.

Need Gene to chime in on any gain.

He runs his maverick at the track, & could give us first hand answers.

As to headers being a source of leaks, if you purchase a set of quality headers such as pacemakers or hookers & use their gaskets, you should have O leaks. Thats more than you can say about the stock cast iron manifolds, which are prone to warp & leak also.

I maybe wrong, but i bet headers provide a 2 mph gain & a 2 tenth better et in the 1/4.

By itself no, I would not install just a header. But as a basis for a additional modifications yes, by all means. With the cost and installation of a header, I would also upgrade to electonic ignition at the same time. Electronic ignition should be the first modification; it's the best bang for the buck.

I first installed a header as a basis for more performance upgrades down the road. What I got was better throttle response and sound with no real noticeble performance gains.

Best of luck,

8) installing headers on a stock six wont do much for power, but fuel economy should increase a bit, and as you make other mods, the headers will tend to magnify those effects.

The only upgrades i am planning to do on the engine is a New Autolite 1100 Vaporizer carb from Pony Carbs , a new High Flow Air Cleaner and a New DUI Distributor from Classic Inlines. Now my question is: With these 3 upgrades , is it worth the big $$$ cost of the whole HEADERS set up + all the other cost to be able to get the maximum performance out of the whole exhaust system set up? How much HP will the whole Headers set up (alone) give? Thanks again.

The header is definetly worth it if you are putting all the other stuff, simply because the exhaust manifold is so restrictive along with the rest of the exhaust.

However if you have enough money to drop on a DUI why not buy a cam as well and put that in?

My basic view on it is this, you want a good foundation that way whatever you do in the future is good. My biggest regret in my six is that I stuck with a stock cam (if only i knew back then what I know now :( ). No matter what stuff you put on it will still run out of steam around 3,500rpms maybe 4,500 if you turbo it.

You will see much better results from a cam along with the other upgrades, i would hazard to guess at least 15HP more and gobs more torque. These sixes wake up fairly well.

1.Which headers should I buy?
2.Who makes the best one?
3.What size exhaust pipe should I go with? I was thinking of going just single pipe all the way to the back .
4.Does the dual exhaust pipe give better performance over the single?
5.Which free flowing mufler is the best one with the best sound? (I don't want somthing very loud).
Thanks again.

I just did duals with a hooker dual outlet header on a stock 200. I did change to an 1980 head so I think I lost some compression but still it sounds good. I bought 2 turbo mufflers from Advance for about $20 each. They sound good without being too much. I ran 2 1/4" pipe all the way back just in case I get a bigger motor. ;)

"Should" and "best" are highly subjective terms especially when it comes to the "sound" fetish. It may take some trial and retrial to achieve your performance and "sound" goals but that is part of the fun.

wsa111":fi9widng said:
Gene Fiore had a stock 250 maverick & then added hooker headers.

Need Gene to chime in on any gain.

He runs his maverick at the track, & could give us first hand answers.
I guess some of us will just have to agree to disagree on this one. ;) The very first modification I did was to put Hooker dual out headers and a complete dual exhaust system on my Maverick. Like wsa11 said, my motor was completely STOCK...even still had the original points distributor in it. I gained 3 tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile which would equate to maybe 10 hp at the rear wheels. Now I will say that the seat of the pants feel for an extra 10 hp at the rear wheels is negligible, but it definately makes a difference. So if you didn't have any objective way to tell if adding headers made a performance difference...well then you really can't say for sure...just my 2 cents. Oh, and btw I haven't had a single exhaust leak since I installed them over 2 years ago. :D

Back