Is it worth putting HEADERS on a stock six 200 motor or not

Reduction in backpressure by running dual out K-code style pipes verses one small single will be about 3 psi at wide open throttle, a 4 hp gain at 3500 rpm if your car is putting out 85 net flywheel hp. 4.7% for doing 5/8 ths of nothing.

A header is worth 25% when the carb and exhast are optimised to suit. [From GM 3.3 and Ford 4.1 tests (Wheels, Modern Motor)]

The carb is not a restriction to that gain unless its a very low 150 cfm item. When the performance gain is not used, each % gain in power yields half that as a fuel economy win at 60 mph. So a 25% power gain, 12.5% fuel economy gain on a back to back basis. Just like raising compression 25%, there is a 12.5% fuel economy gain at 60mph.

I've put them on a stock 200 with basic exhaust, and there was no perceptible gain whatsoever (car wasn't a performance vehicle, but subject to daily driving). If anything, the exhaust got quieter!

It's hard for a cynical mind to rule out placebo type results in the cited timeslips, unless the previous system was somewhat constricted.

OTOH, fitting an electronic distributor was an instantly noticeable gain to around-town "pep".

:unsure:: How true is the comparison when one pull is in one gear and the next pull in another? Would pulls in say third gear be as valid as pulls in fourth gear (4-speed M/T) with the same results?

Even though some people here don't like the C word (Clifford), I do have their dual outlet header. When I used to have the Sanden air conditioning compressor, it cleared everything fine. There is around 1/8" clearance between the header and the alternator. The alternator is moved upwards with the A/C install.
I didn't notice performance increases, even when using the port divider. I did not test it however, so I cannot be sure.
Sound wise, the Clifford header with produces a more "powerful six" sound, whereas a Hooker header produces a "small V-8" sound.

Sorry to disagree folks but you Nay Sayers are wrong.

It's simple restriction v~s less restriction.

Pushing 200 into 1.25 exhaust is much harder that pushing 200 into 2.5 and 6 individual pipes. This frees up a LOT of top end power that was previously restricted, 5 HP is a LOT when you max out at 120!

The 200 is a 1,500 to 4,500 rpm torque monster in normal configuration. The less restrictive your exhaust the more top end you pick up.

If you didn't notice it then something was wrong. If you noticed MORE increase with the distributor change than hedders, then you're not adjusting your ignition system properly. I run Points and it fires exquisitely well.

Falconaround

So the difference is mostly noticeable only at WOT? Or perhaps when you floor it?
At $400-$500 or more I would consider headers a luxury mod, for when you have lots of money and nothing else to spend it on, or you race very seriously.

I agree Jack, hedders on a 120 HP motor are really a luxury, but every freed bit of resistance is more power to the wheels, period, end of story.

Didn't that article "horsing around with the ford-six" attribute something like 35 hp to the addition of headers?

Sorry to post in an older thread, but I may need to replace my muffler soon.

Can any I6 sound like these in this thread and youtube? Or has there been performance mods also made? If I can make my Falcon sound as good as my sister in law's Mustang 289, I'd be very impressed!

But I haven't done anything to the engine except rebuild the 1100 that was on it. And I'm not sure a 4door should sound like a 'racer' if it can't really perform on the street; but man I really love that sound!!!

I think I may need to go all the way to the manifold, or possibly even replace the manifold as there is a slight gap. Not sure if it can just be adjusted/fixed, or replaced.

DSC_2217800x600-1.jpg

I don't know about the sound you're talking about but headers on your car will make it sound very different, and a little quieter unless you're on it.

FALCONAROUND":vf4lpwz7 said:
I don't know about the sound you're talking about but headers on your car will make it sound very different, and a little quieter unless you're on it.

really, i thought because it's dual that it would increase the sound... hmm that gives me a different perspective on them...

so far from this post i have come to the conclusion that headers will:

1. decrease sound (unless punched)
2. increase HP
3. increase torque
4. increase rpm range
5. increase gas mileage
6. increase the cool factor...
7. increase the increase of future/past mods

on the other hand...

1. alone not worth it
2. costly to only gain a small increase
3. heat increases near the starter, alt, and a/c compressor (meaning you might have to replace them sooner)
4. room to work on that side of the engine goes down...

with my signature WOULD i increase ALOT in mpg or alittle.... 21.6 mpg is the best i've gotten so i could be looking at 23-24mpg with just the headers??

Did i miss anything?

-Richard

You're mistaken on a couple points in MY opinion...

Hedders on a 200 do NOT do anything a LOT. They neither give a big increase in MPG nor Power nor Torque... They WILL allow better breathing for the engine, decrease the overall amount of noise out the pipe unless hogging on the throttle, and Hedders will NEVER increase an engine's RPM range, that is purely cam, intake and hardware. Finally your MPG, I don't know if more than 1-1.5 MPG is going to happen, I never drive my car's with a care about MPG......

You are right on the cool factor, right about the working on that side of the engine (not that there's anything there to work on...)... That's about all I got for ya.

falcon, i guess i forgot you were talking about the cam... when i say increase i didn't mean as in double.. but increase slightly.... like some one mentioned "no change in the feeling at the seat"
and the word "alot" was the wrong word to use...

for the sound/exhaust, what's the most quiet flowmaster out there... is there a difference on any of them as in performance? i know i would want the most least restrictive but doesn't that increase sound? so the most restrictive would give a quiet sound and counter act the idea of a dual exhuast system... would like some insight on this. when i go down the highway or rev the engine i don't want to be drowned out by the sound of my car...

thanks
-Richard

Back