Which Rocker Assembly to Use

rae61

I have both the adjustable rocker assembly from my 65 falcon head and a non adjustable one from a 78 Fairmont. I will be using the head from the 78 but what are the pros and cons of the two types of rocker assembly's? Which one is the best to go with?

IMHO go with the non-adjustable set, unless you like fiddling with valve lash.
The nons are better suited to modern hydraulic lifters.

Howdy Rae:

The advantage to the adjustible is two fold. 1st, they can be used to compensate for tolerance variation, even from the factory, as well as from parts swapping and machining. 2nd, by adjusting the hydraulic lifter pre-load, using the rocker arm adjustment screw, you can get the most out of whatever cam you have.

I'd go adjustible every time. I would recommend that whatever assembly you use, be sure to clean all the insides and oiling holes in the shaft and the rocker arms- two holes in each arm. Also inspect the shaft for excessive wear and gauling on the bottom side were the load is.
The shafts are interchangeable.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

I do plan to have the head milled to keep the compression ratio so that is a consideration, I have read that the hydraulic lifters take up the difference, is that true?

As far as cleaning goes is it best to disassemble the rocker assembly, clean it and reassemble, is there anything that I should be aware of or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks.

Back