Can I run electric fan only?

ford_jake

Wondering if I can ditch the fan and run an electric only, just think it cleans up the engine compartment? Any thoughts, stock 200 6cyl

Thats my current setup, though when I have the money I'm ditching the electric and going back to an engine driven one-
Nick
P.S. Hit me up if you want some pics with the electric fan

Atm just a stock 6 with the 1100, going back because I want to be as stock as possible (until i can find a 250 head that is haha)

It appears that electric fans certainly can work, most factory cars have been this way since the 90's, the transverse ones since the 80's. What you need to ask yourself is how hot does it get where you figure you are usually going to be operating? Do you have AC or plan to add it? How much of your typical driving is going to be highway vs city? What are the chances you could get stuck in traffic on one of those hot days? Then you have to ask how much are you willing to spend? A $50 aftermarket electric fan with a switch under the dash is not going to do it unless you are in a cooler climate with no AC or traffic. If you are willing and able to do some fab work it seems that there are a few easy to find in the junkyard cars that have pretty decent and adaptable fan setups.

ford_jake":2sy0h936 said:
Wondering if I can ditch the fan and run an electric only, just think it cleans up the engine compartment? Any thoughts, stock 200 6cyl

Additional cooling in hot environment can be helped with electric in addition to WP fan. Using just elec. fan requires high CFM of big fan or multiples with thermostat sensor. A big advantage is the same maximum CFM at any speed regardless of engine RPM - even idling in traffic.

250 conversions in early cars can run out of any fan/radiator clearance with the longer snout 250.

Permacool high Cfm fan with adjustable sensor in thermostat neck in pusher config:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,]
th_100_7821.jpg
[/url]

powerband said:
ford_jake said:

Additional cooling in hot environment can be helped with electric in addition to WP fan. Using just elec. fan requires high CFM of big fan or multiples with thermostat sensor. A big advantage is the same maximum CFM at any speed regardless of engine RPM - even idling in traffic.

250 conversions in early cars can run out of any fan/radiator clearance with the longer snout 250.

The OP said he is going with a 250 head not 250 conversion. So the block/engine length would be the same as any 200 out there....

Back