Turbo 200ci

67chrrybucket

I am building up a 200ci out of a 64 comet for my 67 comet I plan to do a turbo build with a autolite 480 cfm carb i called pony carbs for suggestions on carb/jets and he told me if i was doing a turbo build i should build a box for the carb to go around the whole carb my question was has any body done this, any suggestions and if you block off the carb how do you hook up vac hoses and throttle linkages? if any body has any pics or helpful info i would appreciate it.

63stl_comet":pzbtbfjd said:
Just get you one of these and go from there. I have never heard of boxing in the entire carb for a blow through turbo set up. When I do the turbo setup for my 250 I will be using one of these carb hats.
http://www.classicinlines.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WEB-200-ACH&cat=124

I think boxing the whole carb is to avoid having to prep the carb for boost. I've heard of people spraying gas and boost out of their carb bodies if they aren't set up for it.

Before about 1978 carbs vented outside housing which created a air leak so you had to enclose the whole carb in a box like Studebaker did and Shelby did on some of the GT-350's with a supercharger.

But about 1977-1978 in order to meet EPA emissions carbs were redesigned to vent internally so hydrocarbons didn't just vent to atmosphere.

This mean that pressure stays in the carb and pressure is equalized. That is why you can now see guys running blow through carbs with turbo hats and no box.

Now if you are running a older car with original carb made before about 1978 you would have to run a box.

You can find a carb made in the 80's but it has to be in good shape, if the plastic bushing around the shafts are too worn you will leak pressure. You also need to convert carb to a different style float that does not collapse from the pressure. Most commonly used are Nitrophyl floats.

A good choice would be a Holley 2300 series 350cfm 2bbl due to all the parts available and ease of finding nitrophyl floats.

You also have to have a way for fuel pump to reference boost pressure so that fuel pressure stays at same rate above boost pressure. I am still setting my system up and have not gotten to fuel pump yet but someone can chime in with the correct info.

Here is a link that gives pics and step byt step on how to modify for blow through: http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html

An autolite 480 is too large for a turbo application 200, IMO. You are much better off running a smaller two barrel autolite such as the 1.08 (286 cfm) or the 1.21 (351 cfm). It will be difficult to tune with a larger carb. The downside of the autolite carbs is the lack of selection of jets you will require to properly tune. I drilled mine out in steps starting with a .0625", and ran a holley 3.5 powervalve, and drilled the pvcr out to .078" running 93 octane. I had a wideband which without I don't believe I could have been successful. The autolites come equipped with nitrophil floates. All I did was mill and block off all the choke tower and components and any unused vacuum ports, but the bowl needs to vent to the carb hat not atmosphere(see boost). The classic inlines carb hat did not fit very well, as over 10 psi and it would blow the gasket out the side on the autolites, I hear a better gasket is available if you go with a holley carb. As for the fuel pump reference, I epoxied a brass barb into the base of the carb top plate under the hat, and added a vacuum port to the diaphram side of my mechanical fuel pump. I followed the write up on here to modify a carter bbc superstrip and boost reference it. the stock fuel pump will not keep up, you will go lean and empty the bowl. The carter does not like boost over 10 psi, or you will rupture the diaphram and again go lean, but does work great as a simple fuel system upgrade for a turbo six, just run a bigger fuel filter and 3/8" lines to the carb. Hope some of this helps, have fun with your six!

thanks for the tip 351 I checked your profile thats an impressive machine i see all the time you put into yours so any advice is very helpful forgive my ignorance but what is drilling out the pvcr? and i am rebuliding my 200 I would like 350hp and 400lb tq is that realistic the way you built your using a 2 barrel and stock exhaust i wanted to use a header and a dui dist with a 5 spd man trans what cam are you running if you dont mind i might have a lot of questions fro you.

Maybe I think on the low side, but my set up was at most 250 whp, which I am fine with for what I had in it. I feel you could get your 200 over 250whp/300tq. on a simple set up like mine without a lot of money in bottom end and headwork. For the number you are shooting for, you will want to look to does 10s in the earlier stages of Kelly's car as an example to learn from. They are a great resource!

Back