Turbo header 200ci

67chrrybucket

Does anybody make a header for the 200ci with one outlet thats high quality I am doing a turbo setup just gona do a u pipe up to the turbo and i would like the ease of only 1 outlet? thanks :D

In short, no.

Classic Inlines has talked about doing one for several years but nothing has come of it.

Several people on here have talked about building one but nothing has ever come of it.

I have talked to Bob40 over at TurboFord.com and he said he could do one but Bob has had some severe health problems as of late and has only recently started getting around again. Bob is currently working on back orders.

Right now I have a header flange that I am trying to clean up and get it to to where I can take it to a water jet cutting place and get it scanned so I can get multiple flanges cut.

Once you have the header flange it is possible to find people to weld up a turbo header. I can find all the tubing and adapters for T3 or T4 turbo. The header flange is the hard part to find.

Best economic option is thick walled mandrel bend J tube to a new repro or New Old Stock x-shell manifold. The thick pipe is important for longeivity, and new manifolds are less likely to crack than one thats seen 29 to 51 years of heating and cooling cycles

The stock foot ball pallet cat style S-shell/Fox exhast manifold on an earlier X-shell would be the best if the converter was removed and a good thick iron plate fixed on to allow a good turbo to sit between the spring tower and the exhast mainfold.

Linc's 200 used a stock early header and just used Factory Ford Explorer 3.0/4.0 100 thou mandrel bent exhast pipe to make a J tube to hold his Turbo on.

Other better options are to dredge up knock offs of Ak Millars ductile iron turbo headers for propane 200, 250 and 300 I6's. This nested the turbo aft of the stock manifold outlet, and where the starter would normally be on a 200 engine.

See old posts http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 97&start=0

http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/Manifold1.JPG. The 300 ci 4.9 litre six with Ak Millar turbo
http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/Manifold2.JPG

There was another type which mounted the turbo forward where the A/C would sit on some 200 engines. See 2000Scooby for how the Ak Millar kits were done for early Pintos http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruceflinn ... 825918035/
also http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruceflinn ... otostream/

A few of Ak Millars earlier I-6 exhast manifolds are being found by collectors. His later brace of i-4 Pinto 2.0, Lima 2.3 and V-8 255 Windsor propane conversions done for Ford back in 1983 have resulted in a few sub 10 second Fox and Bobcat bodied Mustang and Pintos hitting the drags

Judge Smails 1995 phots ofa T03 turbo 250 Mav from the Maverick/Comet forum

I was thinking of making mine from .080" or so sheet and some banding.it will make for alot of welding but no fitting tubes (very time consuming)

there was my old 200 "header" made from a length of 1.5" square tube and some plate. was done on the cheap as a college student....

I would think the stock manifold would work just fine for a J pipe setup.

I am pretty much done with my weld el header for my aussie motor. was a TON of work. But I do only have about $300 in materials in it (all 304 SS)

Your square tube was more toward where I was going with mine. I still have the pics somewhere for reference. Only thing I wanted to do was add in a plate between flange and square tube to space turbo a little farther out.

Been over my old CD'S and saw your RHS turbo exhast. Great wallthickness, and likely to succeed.

Also saw an AME 400 kit, a TC-1 boost controller and T3 turbo kit for a 250.
Had a simple plate on the single outlet.

Anlushac11":ln3l9h2t said:
Your square tube was more toward where I was going with mine. I still have the pics somewhere for reference. Only thing I wanted to do was add in a plate between flange and square tube to space turbo a little farther out.

I can give some lessons learned on that one.

1. avoid putting the flange directly on the tube. when you weld the one side of the tube it will pull pretty bad. Maybe making it in three piece would help (a center at 3/4, and then either end)

2. I had to use 12pt heade bolts to get enough clearance to get them in (still very tight) use some tube or a torch to dimple the thickwall around the bolts.

3. I would also stick an external gate mount on the rear of the header or inverted under the 3/4 area.

I think some heavy sheet (.080" or thicker) would work out well too. and have it formed up. if doing weld els you really need to make a tool to square up the ends (with J bends a piece of round bar and a hammer works) you might be able to use a vice/press and smash them down.

Take a look at my new header in my aussie motor build thread :
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66225

a log header made from two J bends would work good. use one 90 on 1 and 6 and the other one you point out at 3 and 4 (similare you how my center section is built)

Back on topic....I think using a single outlet "shorty" header off teh shelf is going to make packaging pretty tough. the outlet will be too low and will require lots of extra piping to make it work. a simple fabricated "elbow" adaptor on the stock manifold outlet to alloy a turbo to be bolted out will be much easier and quick to do.

Back