All Small Six It's a Very Happy Time with my 200

This relates to all small sixes

78_200_C4

Famous Member
I am happier than hell.
My 200 is running and sounding great.
I installed an eBay header that interfered with the starter and the alternator.
A Jones stamped 2 to 1, 2" 3 way adapter fit the eBay header perfect.
A 2-1/4" ID exhaust pipe fit over the Jones 2" inside adapter after I expanded the pipe with a Harbor Freight pipe expander.
The 2-1/4" exhaust pipe goes to a CJ Pony parts Mustang 2-1/4" over the rear end tail pipe. The muffler adapted to the 2-1/4"pipe is a 2-1/2 " in and out turbo.
It sounds great. It's quiet at lower rpm. No drone.
Around 3,500 rpm the exhaust get louder starts crackling + sounds like a 6 cylinder race car.
It revs way quicker.
I can go up this one steep I-80 on ramp and shift out 2nd at 5,000 rpm (75 MPH) into 2nd over.

I like to rev it with very little throttle to 5,000 rpm then shift to 1st over. The rpm only drops to 4,000 . Then I rev it to 5000 then shift to 2nd.
The sound effect is awesome.
Imagine an old Falcon wagon that sounds like a European 6 cylinder race car.

Hi 78_200_C4, Congratulations I am glad to hear about all of your great improvements. Any plans to take it to the Track and lay down some pass'es? Sure would be interested to see some timed runs with the regular C4 3 Speed gearing versus the 6 Six Speed version, it sure looks so fast now in your video's.

Hi 78_200_C4, Congratulations I am glad to hear about all of your great improvements. Any plans to take it to the Track a lay down some pass'es? Sure would like to see some timed runs with the regular C4 3 Speed versus the 6 Six Speed version, it sure looks so fast now in your video's.
The last time I went to a track it was an hour + away and had a very long line of cars waiting to run.
That was 30 some years ago.
By having have the rpm only drop a 1,000 from 5,000 to 4,000 when shifting makes a great performance improvement.
It really helps when accelerating on uphill I-80 on ramps in my area.

Where can I find your videos?
Here are two:

Last edited:
The videos are with a 68 cast iron manifold. With a header it runs and sounds much better.
It will now wind to 5,000 in 2nd over which is about 90 mph. The Jones stamped 2" inside Y-pipe fit the eBay header great.
A Harbor Freight exhaust pipe expander easily expanded a 2-1/4" exhaust pipe to fit over the Jones Y-pipe 2" inside outlet.
This old wagon is alot of fun every time I drive it.

Last edited:
I took my 63 4 door wagon 200 out today to test a camcorder external microphone location. It's on a magnetic mount. The last 3 parts of the video are part throttle which is the most fun. WOT is for getting on the I-80 on ramps that are uphill in my area. I never got past 2nd over which is about 90 mph. I wanted to test the microphone before I made an I-80 video.

Today I jacked my 63 Falcon wagon up and retightened all the header bolts again.
I didn't use the bolts, nuts + springs that came with the header to attach the 2 pipes.
After reading reports of Ford small six header exhaust gasket failure and the cost $40.00+ cost of a gasket that does not fail I decided not to use a gasket.
No gasket, no gasket failure.
I put orange high temp RTV on the head exhaust surfaces, then Installed the header and tightened the header.
All is fine no leaks.
Just a few weeks ago I was dreaming installing or building a 200 with a higher lift cam and or rocker arm assembly.
This 200 runs great. It easily winds to 5,000 rpm at 75 mph with a C4 in 2nd with 3.25 gears. It will do 90 mph in second over.
Acceleration at 60 MPH+ with the single 2-1/4' exhaust + has increased to a big smile.

Last edited:
Back