200 Industrial questions

I have a 200 in our old swather that runs great, but the swather itself is worn out. I am curious about the difference between the Industrial engines and a normal car engine. Will a regular transmission bolt up to it?

I am not exactly sure what I would put it in right now, but I have some ideas. All I know is that I love a straight six! I am in the process of swapping a 300 into my 79 Bronco right now. ;)

"...a regular transmission bolt up..."
I think it depends on which yr for an automotive transmission and the yr 200. It seemed 2 have several bell options. Can U get some ID numbers offa the block - should B on the side near the exhaust down tube /or/ looking from the frnt, the left side - opposite side from the dizzy & below the freeze plugs (IIRC). Nother difference was low vs high starter but they're rarer. An 'ex - spirt' should B along shortly w/mo' info...

I will have to take a look at the one at Dad's house, it is a Power Unit (unsure of origin). The motor looks like a normal 200 but the bellhousing is just a cast unit with a huge pulley (4 groove) sticking out of its rear. I am 99.1% certain that it is a normal 200 that is only regulated by the date it was built

pre'66 is hit or miss with the 'small' bellhousing pattern.
'65 or '66 was a transition year to the 'dual' bellhousing pattern
I don't know how long the dual bell housing pattern ran...
in '81 (or so) they started the BIG bellhousing pattern that is 2/3rds of a small block ford pattern.

Best way to find out is going to be taking it apart and doing some measureing, or if you have an extra small 6 bellhousing laying around you could just try to fit it on.

You don't see much talk on here about swather motors... where y'from?

-ron

Born and raised in Western ND, and we have had this swather for as long as I can remember. That little 200 has a few hours on it, to say the least. ;)

I don't have a picture of ours, but google turned this up, and it is pretty close, but not exact. Just so people can put a picture in their heads:

51e3dab8.jpg

f06d8b3e.jpg

We had a Lincoln welder with a 200 has d5 head on it. Would the industrial engines have hardend seats? Had an air compreser with a 200 too.

stu in wichita":8kdvmf7x said:
The Ford Six found its way into a lot of interesting products. The company I work for used an industrial 200 in this train back in the early 80's:
http://www.chancerides.com/peoplemovers/cphuntington_train.html

It was a good, simple, trouble-free power plant, but EPA regs changed all that. We still build the train, but it's now powered by a high tech Continental 4-cylinder engine. We've built a total of 371 of them.

-Stu
I want one of those Locomotives with steerable front wheels and rubber tires, so I can drive it on the street.

nobodyspecial":2bkeawch said:
I don't have a picture of ours, but google turned this up, and it is pretty close, but not exact. Just so people can put a picture in their heads:

51e3dab8.jpg

f06d8b3e.jpg

Sweet! :nod:
My neighbor has a New Holland swather of about the same vintage, it also has the Ford 200 Industrial powerplant. It too has a great many working hours on it, but it still runs just fine. The "flywheel" is totally exposed, and there is no clutch on the flywheel, just a mount welded on for a universal joint to attach for the drive shaft. The drive shaft sends power to two variable-type pulleys that are controlled by the hand levers. Fairly primitive, but quite effective and durable.

Just find out what year/model the block is, and the appropriate bell housing will bolt right up.
Joe

Back