new exhaust side pipe

canvaspaul

Here is my creation of the new exhaust.
its 2.5 inch pipe with only a cherry bomb and it end just behind the drivers door.
we tested it and it's sound nice but is a little to loud, if I want to make it more silence and not influence the sound what is the best way.
make the inlet in the beginning smaller ore can I weld in a restriction at the end of the pipe.

exhaust_zps04dcc244.jpg

Gr Paul

Years ago, I had a 1200cc VW Beetle equipped with a header and glasspack muffler. It, too, was loud! I fabricated a restrictor plate for the outlet and experimented with drilling holes in the plate. It was amazing that with just a little bit of restriction [many holes drilled], the sound level was lowered nicely!

If it's actually Cherry Bomb brand, almost any other glass pack will be quieter. Cherry Bombs use a "pin cushion" perforation on the inner tube, where most others use some type of louvered tube. Fortunately, glass packs are cheap, and our sixes usually only need one.

Cherry Bombs are definitely the loudest glass packs around. I put a pair on my '68 AMX a couple of years ago - they were so loud and harsh I almost tossed them the first day out. I ended up adding an H-pipe between the two exhaust pipes, but that's not an option on a single exhaust. That helped, and although loud, it's a little more refined. Now I love the sound, and almost everyone else does too. You may end up liking your set-up after you get over the initial change.

I've always said that exhaust systems are the biggest crap-shoot in the whole car hobby. There is no real science to it, and there are literally dozens of factors which affect the sound. You don't know what you have until it's all installed and you drive it. Testimonials and sound clips from other cars are meaningless unless you have IDENTICAL set-ups.

In the end, it's all personal taste. Good luck.
-Stu

What Stu said. I've run glasspacks on a number of turbo four cylinders and real Cherry Bombs are the loudest. Best sound I got was from a Blue somethingorither. I don't think Blue Streak, but maybe!

If it the the loudness you object to, look for a muffler with similar dimensions to the glasspack and swap it out. If, on the other hand, it is droning, you might consider adding a helmholtz resonator to the existing system to eliminate low frequency noises. A helmholtz resonator differs from a traditional resonator.

helmholtz resonator :

... droning is multi-frequency and varies with RPM , tough for tuning resonant peak resonator .

to me: generic 'glas-paks' are typically drone-prone on the inline, generic 'turbo' mufflers sound mellower but are tuned for the Tuner rasp under throttle, some name-brands have distinct sound characteristics different / better? than the generics.

some sound ideas :roll: :
. . . .

... for loud but minimal drone, the "Smithy" (sp?) silencers are my current choice.

have fun k

Back