can studs be used to install main bearing caps?

timdog

1966 Mustang with a 1978 200ci

I'm into my engine for the first time - to fix a leaky front and main rear seal. When I took the oil pan off, it appears the number 5 main bearing cap has a stud installed? All the other bearings have bolts, and the number 5 has one bolt and one stud(?). Or, is it a home-job with some threaded rod and a nut?

10283545826_bb864dbeee.jpg

10283245904_3ae4aa85aa.jpg

I should also add I'm skeptical about the quality of work by the previous owner - the front main seal was installed backwards and he had a 1.5" dia carb on a head with a 1.75" dia carb bore (although this technically WAS the correct carb for the car year). And, the engine was changed from a rear sump to a front sump, but he left the dipstick at the rear location - where it would constantly hit the crank unless it was left out about 3".

I'm in there anyway, so I'm considering changing it anyway - IF I can get it out. I haven't tried yet, but will double-nut it and see if it will budge. And, where would I get a SINGLE bolt for the bearing anyway? I don't want to buy a whole set for one bolt...

Thoughts?

8) i dont think that is a stud, though you never know what POs will do. that looks more like a bolt with a stud built in for a hold down location for probably the oil pump pick up. they may have used a bolt from another engine because they broke the old one, an they had that one.

Most all Fords, even V8's have at least one main bolt like that to support the oil tube. Its really a bolt with a studded extension on the top side.

That is a bolt with an attachment point for the oil pickup tube on the later rear sump engines. Fairmont/fox body mustangs. I would leave it alone.. always a risk changing main/rod bolts without resizeing or lineboring is what I have been told....if you can't pull the tube out drive it out from the inside while the pan is off. There is probably a small plug in the front dipstick tube hole ....just drive it out from the inside and reuse it to plug the rear dipstick location.

Gene Fiore":2rlehl1u said:
But to answer the original question...yes, studs can be used to install the main bearing caps.
His question in the thread didn't match the title heading. He obviously was meaning something else, as the description in the body of text indicates.

Back