ignition wire upgrade?

FairmontAddict

this seemed like such an easy Q so I did a couple of searches but found nothing but links to the $100 live wires CI sells..

is there anything cheaper?? heck on my 408W in my last ford I ran Ford racing wires with a full MSD setup and the same thing in my old 347 v8.... and those only cost me 40bux!!!

should I just buy another set and not use the 7 and 8 wires? I mean they are under 50 bux and the purty blue color I like too lol!

someone please point me in the right direction, surely this has been discussed millions of times in the past and I am just missing something.

That's a good question (for me). I have converted a '69 system to a DS II -
I've had a set since the '80s that still runs fine (it seems). Do you need to match to different ignitions?
There are so many alternatives, sizes, composite varieties, spiral wound, etc...

Any one seen a sticky in the search?

chad":o03z4emq said:
I've had a set since the '80s that still runs fine (it seems). Do you need to match to different ignitions?
There are so many alternatives, sizes, composite varieties, spiral wound, etc...

I stopped looking when I got back to 2010.... figured it was time for an update if there was nothing. I would REALLY prefer a non universal setup and would like something other than black. I would prefer blue. the live wires would be perfect but I cant justify paying twice as much just for a set that is already cut when I can get something universal that is just as good for half the price. I need to get this resolved by the next week too!

:unsure: If you want to make your own plug wires,the Belden(R) brand was always a good brand to use.It is or was available in bulk,and you bought what you needed along with the terminal ends.
If you go this route,get a decent terminal installer and you can`t go wrong.Or if you know someone that has one see if you can borrow it.NAPA used to carry Belden(R) products.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

X2 a set of the NAPA Belden 7 MM wires is more then enough for a stock engine and is also good for a performance type street car. I like and use their good Caps and Rotors (Brass Contacts) about as good as it gets. A good stock Ford coil or a good replacement like a Belden and then add a set of the Autolite copper plugs and you have a solid ignition system. Make sure your Vacuum advance system is working and that the Mechanical advance is also operating correctly and your good to go. :nod:

OK, nice full answer u guys, thanks!
I remember "Belden"...

Howdy All:

I haven't bought a set of spark plug wires in many years so I don't know what's current in the retail market, so, in general, shop for a wire that has the words "Spiro Core" on the box. Spiro Core refers to a wire wrap around the graphite center conductor. I also prefer a custom set, rather than a universal, cut to fit set, because the boots and connectors fit tighter and are sealed better. Lastly, the quality of the insulation may be slightly better on the custom sets. You will want a minimum of 8mm thickness insulation. You may pay a little more for a custom set, but how often will you be buying wires. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

chad":1stcc41h said:

You really only have two options (that matter) and it has to do with the dizzy end. You have HEI and non HEI. The rest is what angle you prefer. With 6IL's I like to have 90 at the dizzy and straight at the plug

Back