Starting! not so much, I could use some help

Nick1966

I'm not a mechanic.

Here is the issue:
Key in the ignition and turned to accessory and you have power. Radio works, horn works. Turn the key to start and nothing. I think I hear a bump from the starter

Here is what i've done so far:
- replaced started this year
- replaced solenoid a week or so ago
- replaced the distributer cap a few months ago
- charged the battery
- cleaned off battery terminals
- made sure contact to starter was tight and clean

It is not making the blown solenoid click. Any advice would help greatly appreciated!!

you might have a bad ignition switch. also make sure the battery has enough power to turn the starter, just because you can run the lights and play the radio on the battery doesnt mean it has power to turn the engine over.

that list looks good, it's in the order of "stuff done".
Did it run after the cap (last thing) was replaced?

Before you change any other parts, jump it at the solenoid and see if it turns right over.

You mentioned cleaning and checking battery terminals but didn't mention the ground at the block, or chassis.

If you jump the solonoid and it still doesn't crank there is a problem in the primary battery cables or connections. And since you checked the battery terminals and the starter lead, it is likely the ground. If the cable is not grounded to the engine, install a ground cable between the engine and chassis. You can never have too many grounds. :beer:

Thank you all for the continued information. I will try them all before purchasing a new ignition coil

Nick1966":33xlkroc said:
Thank you all for the continued information. I will try them all before purchasing a new ignition coil

you can test to see if you have a bad coil, what you are looking for is voltage through the coil. you should be able to disconnect the ground wire to the coil, and with the ignition switch on, connect a voltmeter or a test light between the coil negative terminal, and the ground wire. if you get a reading, then the coil is good. if not then reconnect the ground wire, and check to see if you are getting voltage to the coil. if so the coil is bad, if not the coil is likely not your problem, or if it is, it is being masked by another problem, either a bad wire, or a bad ignition switch.

- I checked the battery it had 12v
- I checked across the solenoid, 12v
- I checked the grounds, all good

It ended up being a frozen starter. Even after smacking it with a hammer it didn't budge. I got it replaced under warranty and started right up. HOWEVER, There is a spring that goes from the (not sure if this is the real name) throttle linkage right below the carb and is attached to the exhaust manifold at the other end. It snapped, where can I get another one?

ALSO, In the engine bay there is a bar attached to the gas petal, there is a bar hanging down from it which I thought had a link attached to it running somewhere under the car (maybe to the trans?) I don't see that line anymore. Anyone know what it is?

As always, thank you for the help

What you have is a universal throttle return spring going to the exhaust man., you can usually find them at most any good Auto parts store. That missing linkage may have been for the passing gear kick down for a C4 auto trans, would need to see a picture to verify, but also if you are using a stick (man.) trans you would not need it. Good luck :nod:

You would do well to get a stock replacement throttle spring from one of the parts houses. In my experience, the springs from generic auto parts stores are too heavy for a good feel on the gas pedal. That is to say, you your foot will quickly become fatigued. The stock Mustang/Falcon throttle return spring is much lighter than any of those you can buy in a blister pack. The reason yours broke is because it is fatigued from the heat of the exhaust manifold and from age. They are high carbon metal and get brittle over time.

Thanks Ludwig / Bubba2239!

it's an automatic (woman), on the by

Side note, i'm going to switch it to a manual later on this year or early next, just need to research

actually statistics show more men than woman have the automatic. - interesting -
What side of the river ("outside Philly") are you on?

"... get a stock replacement throttle spring..."
price compare, if you got the spare cash use the Help (usually green, red, & yellow or white card of the blister pack). Don't like it? go to Ford...

"...It is not making the blown solenoid click..."
sometimes the click can be heard (repeatedly) when energizing the gear (ele power sent by turning ign. key) but it does not jump to the fly wheel nor turn it (to turn over/start the engine). This is not a case of being broken ("blown" mechanical failure) but a situation of poor ground, low battery, etc, etc (ele deficiency).

I'm happy with the throttle spring I picked up at pepboys for now.

I live south of Philadelphia in PA

I've had some trouble finding information on this "Passing Gear Kickdown" wire, could someone point me in the right direction? I assume it drops the gear when you stop the gas. Is it really needed to safe driving? (I don't pass anyone aggressively like that)

It is a cable that hooks to a lever on top of your trans. Pulls it forward about 1//2" and it drops in 2nd up to about 50 or so when you stand on the pedal to the floor. You can put it in 2nd manually if you need the oomph but after 50, its not recommended.

Back