144 head on 200, comp ratio?

inline300

Famous Member
Guy tells me he's put a 144 head from a 62 falcon, on a 200 from a maverick.
I did a lil research and from what ive gathered, this will bump the compression ratio considerably but still remain, low grade pump gas friendly, correct?
also curious what thd valve lash on the 144 rockers should be set at?
thanks

Stock, it takes the later post 1966 200 six compression up a whole point, as the 144, 170 and early 200 heads were 52 cc, the later ones were 60 cc. If the head gasket is the common modern replacement at 50 thou instead of 22 thou as it was in the early days, then that's more than 4.8 cc back down, making the head chamber about 56.8 cc.

Appreciate the confirmation on comp ratios.

I believe the 200 shortblocks from maverick were hydraulic lifters, so ill set accordingly, was thinking solid lifters 144 cylinder head but it has the 200 short block now.

Ill confirm it visually first, I have no clue personally whats been done, I just know it ran like chit and I was asked to make it right, was told 144 head on 200 maverick shortblock, covering the basics first....

the small increase in power from compression is way cancelled out by the small valves in the 144 head on a 200 cube engine. The increase would be at least a point in compression, 144 is 1.46 intake and 1.26 exhaust vs 1.75 intake and 1.38 exhaust for the 74 and up 200/250 also the 144 has the smallest intake volume of 850 CC. vs the 200 which were 1,100 CC. in 65 up to 1,420 CC. in 77. the head will work and may not be noticeable at lower rpm but would most likely start to choke the 200 by 3,000 rpm. to add the carb on the mid 69 and earlier heads are smaller 1 1/2" vs 1 3/4" on the later models. all of the 200, are hydraulic lifters.

64falconsix has nailed it. He really doesn't want those little valves on a 200 not to mention the tiny intake log. He'd be better off shaving the original head and getting a valve job done if he still has it and it's a viable head. Otherwise, if going through the trouble anyway of pulling the head, find a 69' or later large log and shave it to get the compression he's after.

I agree with you both, but this is more of a, just needs to run reliably, situation, performance aspect is not even a second thought.
The owner was happy with the 144, till it developed internal issues. The 144 head was recently redone, still looked good, he found a cheap 200 shortblock, that allegedly had no issues, he has his guy put them together.
Then in steps me, he wonders why his engine sounds like crap, tells me the situation, wants me to make it right.
I wanted to first verify the comp ratio was acceptable for low grade pump gas, cause I know he will use that regardless, with the smaller head. Seems stock the comp ratio was really low on the maverick 200, and with the 144 head, it should still be <9xxish?
my next step was to research lifter type, so I can verify the rockers are adjusted correctly, 200 should be hydrauic, ill visually verify, then timing, if it still runs bad, check cylinder compression psi and vacuum. Owner claims the new combo pulls the car better than the 144, but at idle, its clear somethings not right.
personally, the car is so straight I wanted to drop an efi v8 in there for him, especially when he quoted me the prices of a 144 rebuild kit, but his money is tight, and hes just happy if the engine runs and gets him from point A to B. I hope the basics will make it right and the previous mechanic wasnt paying attention. :LOL:

Back