Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

My very, very DIY tripower intake mod.

Moderator: Mod Squad

First Fox

My very, very DIY tripower intake mod.

Post #1 by First Fox » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:27 pm

OK guys as some of you may know, my turbo Fairmont is receiving some new parts and in the quest to improve the horrible fuel distribution of the log head, I am working on a tripower modification and it will also be turbocharged. To my knowledge this has yet to be done. 8)

I am building this myself with only the use of hand tools and welding equipment, in other words no machine work. I am not a huge fan of the Offy intake for our small sixes and am too cheap to pay the price for one anyway. A big issue with the Offy adapter is it would raise the carbs enough that hood clearance would become an issue and I am not going to hack up my hood just to use a ready made adapter that is mediocre at best.

Instead I am completely plagiarizing an idea from Powerband in which he made an adapter from box steel that is removable. Unlike his design though, and in order to help in my quest to keep overall height in check, I am mounting my new plenum on the SIDE of the stock log.

This new plenum will be made of scrap steel tubing and of course will be to removable if need be to swap to other carb combinations.

Just wanted to share and as always to encourage others that although it may not be the "right" way to do something, it still has a chance of working and more importantly keeps the hands and mind busy and helps us all to learn. :beer:

Pics and more info to come.
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.
1965 Fairlane. Twin turbocharged 289/4 speed.
1965 Thunderbird. 390/Auto.
1980 Fairmont. Turbocharged 200, 260 Comp cam/T5 and '93 Mustang steering/suspension.
1981 F-100. 300/4 speed OD. I use this primarily to haul my cars home after I modify them and they break.
1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. 2.3/T5. Porche designed 16 valve, twin cam cylinder head.

jdn21758

Re: My very, very DIY tripower intake mod.

Post #2 by jdn21758 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:39 pm

i can t wait,,
greetzz...JD

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by powerband » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:52 pm

FF'

I really like the idea of a Side-Mounted removable plenum for the log head . Considered removing the outside (1/2) of a stock log runner and building a bolt-on other half plenum that would bolt on to the head's half (open) runner. THis could allow for swappable carb or FI platform and plenum sizing. Glad my early effort at a simple versatile plenum for the log may contribute to a more practical configuration. Eager to see how your forced induction plenum setup evolves . GMTA' ( :roll: ) ...

more technically savvy builders discounted the idea of my home-fabbed large plenum for 'drivability' but I've found the beta-test 2X4 tubing and big 2BBl setup (NA) to be more 'streetable' than the original Offy setup and consistent at the track .

... the blueprints and machine shop:
Image. Image .Image .Image .Image . Image . Image

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:10 pm

:beer: sounds like it will be a great start to a better intake system First Fox :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #5 by ludwig » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:58 am

Powerband, I really like your setup with the square tubing. I wonder if you might shave the TOP of the log and set the plenum directly on top of it. You would have unrestricted flow along the length and especially in the outermost intakes. Of course you would on the side too. I'm thinking of how you would clamp and seal it. Top mounting would be completely flat and you could use U-bolts, similar to the Offy rig.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

First Fox

Post #6 by First Fox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:23 am

My intent is to use square tubing as well but of a smaller size to keep the plenum area down. The piece I have in my pile is 1 1/2 inch and I will weld three carb flanges to that tubing. I am basically shaving the log in half to give a flat mounting area around the circumference and cutting the side out of the square tubing. I will use several bolts and nuts through the side of the stock half-log and through the new tubing plenum using a hand made gasket sealing the outer circumference of the log.

This way, instead of the three small holes of the Offy adapter I will have the entire length of the log to feed the cylinders, but ultimately the carb bores will be the restriction I believe. If that's the case, the beauty of this design is that I can make another plenum with 4 carbs. Or 6... Or 36 model airplane carbs if I feel like it. :thumbup:
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.
1980 Fairmont. Turbocharged 200, 260 Comp cam/T5 and '93 Mustang steering/suspension.
1981 F-100. 300/4 speed OD. I use this primarily to haul my cars home after I modify them and they break.
1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. 2.3/T5. Porche designed 16 valve, twin cam cylinder head.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #7 by powerband » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:08 am

ludwig wrote:Powerband, I really like your setup with the square tubing. I wonder if you might shave the TOP of the log and set the plenum directly on top of it. You would have unrestricted flow along the length and especially in the outermost intakes. Of course you would on the side too. I'm thinking of how you would clamp and seal it. Top mounting would be completely flat and you could use U-bolts, similar to the Offy rig.

ludwig,

... another interesting idea that needs research, maybe you gave someone the motivation to make it happen, are you good with a sawzall ?

... clamping and sealing an intake manifold is a challenge but could be similar to typical bolt on intake methods with gasketed surfaces..

have fun

( btw , later intake runners aren't really flat , they are on two planes meeting at center carb port)

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #8 by ludwig » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:12 am

There was a great deal of talk several years ago on this forum of sawing the log off and leaving the intake stubs in place. This would (theoretically) allow a plenum of the type you have to be mounted directly to the intakes on the side. One fellow posted some pics of his intake manifold after he had sliced off the log with a diamond saw or something.

The problem here is the attachment of the plenum - brazing, bolting, welding, whatever. Each one has its own significant difficulty. In your situation, I could see a series of holes across the bottom of the box where it mates with the log.

Powerband: Hot Rod magazine showed how somebody built a sheet steel plenum box for a large block 8 and mounted three Stromberg-type throttle bodies on it. It was an EFI setup but the mag said it worked great. I don't see why we couldn't do that here somehow -- and you are the closest to the solution yet.

garyt120r

Post #9 by garyt120r » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:02 pm

FYI: If you want to seal an intake, look into a sealer called PRC. We use it on aircraft and there's nothing like it. I'd almost use it on a boosted intake... Within reason. It's amazing stuff.

FalconSedanDelivery

Post #10 by FalconSedanDelivery » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Everyone seems down on the old Offy setup , but NO ONE has made as much power and gone as quick as my old combo ,AND it had MUCH more in it , sorry but that square log may work great for EFI , as it only has to move air , BUT using it in a Carb setup will not work in the RPM range that works with the Log head , looks neat , but that's all , IMHO
Falcon 6's, FE's I Like them both , Sold all My 6 cyl stuff ( for now at least ) glad to pass along some tips though

First Fox

Post #11 by First Fox » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:43 pm

FalconSedanDelivery wrote:Everyone seems down on the old Offy setup , but NO ONE has made as much power and gone as quick as my old combo ,AND it had MUCH more in it , sorry but that square log may work great for EFI , as it only has to move air , BUT using it in a Carb setup will not work in the RPM range that works with the Log head , looks neat , but that's all , IMHO

For the record I am not trying to outdo the offy adapter in terms of breathing or overall performance. My only problem with it is the price as I am inherently cheap and I can hack up a head for next to nothing. Even if I ruin it, these heads are virtually free. I also like the idea of being able to experiment with different carb combination and plenum sizes and that can't be done with the Offy. I dont think either if us are going for looking neat as much as it being "workable" and "modifiable"... Tunable if you will.

Whether or not the square plenum will work well has yet to be proven, for me anyway. I have seen some very square looking wet, sheet metal intake manifolds before and far be it for me to tell the guy who owned it that it didn't work. This idea may be unorthodox and far from optimal, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Unless someone has tried this and failed miserably, I for one will press on with it and as always will report if it sucks.

There is never a shortage of people that will tell you something will never work but are amazingly absent when it does.
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #12 by wsa111 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 pm

FSD makes a good point, if just moving air fine, but a wet A/F mixture seems to work better with round or oval ports.
Prime example, the big block chevy performs better with the oval port heads rather than the rectangular port heads.
With your turbo deal any combination will be better than the naturally aspired intake.
Whatever it will be better than the stock log head. Bill
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSII dist. MSD-6al & MSD-Blaster 8252 Coil. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

FalconSedanDelivery

Post #13 by FalconSedanDelivery » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:05 pm

I will be here, and the first to acknowledge if I am wrong AND , I am not trying to tell people that it wont work at all , just that design wont work BETTER than the Offy setup , in the rpm range that suits the Log head , Trying things is what Hot Rodding is about , but I am also trying to help others save time and money , as a quote from an old movie , Just because you can doesn't mean you should , it applies here as well :beer:
Falcon 6's, FE's I Like them both , Sold all My 6 cyl stuff ( for now at least ) glad to pass along some tips though

drag-200stang

Post #14 by drag-200stang » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:00 am

Actually SD, I have gone just as fast as your offy with less. I did it using the same head that you used but I used home made adapters with 1 7/16" hole. Not the choked down small offy. I would have went larger but Ak Miller was pushing the small Holley carbs for the end carbs and that's what the throttle bore size was. I tapered the adapter to the 1 3/4" YF carbs. Picked up 3 tenths over the small Holleys. I fully agree with you. There's nothing wrong with the tripower but, I prefer full bore adapters. Screw that O ring crap. Bore it out. Gasket it with Permatex no. 2. Ninety thousandths is all I needed to seal. Position the adapter closer to cylinders 2 & 5. Forget trying to get it between the ports, its not necesary. The full bore is better.

I fully agree with Falcon Delivery. There's nothing to gain with the late manifolds by hacking the log off and nobody has gone faster by doing so. That I know for a fact.

I don't see how you will gain any more hood clearance. The farther you get away from center, the less clearance you'll have. I would save yourself a lot of grief and make up some custom low profile tripower adapters. You'll only have to make 2. I'd just lower the engine mounts.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

Hot 6t Falcon
VIP Member

My thought.

Post #15 by Hot 6t Falcon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Hello group,

I am digging through my file of old photos. I started on a project with a head that I milled the whole top of the log off. I was planning on just a piece of flat steel on the top an using two Holley/Weber two barrels. My friend with all the machinery (milling machine, lathe, ability to weld cast iron, etc) died, and the project ended.

I'll post pictures - if I can find them. The casting "Flash" in the ports was amazingly restrictive! Just to be able to grind out the casting flash would be a GREAT flow improvement - that would not be achievable with an Offy adapter or a homemade tri-power like on page 35. The Ford 6 Cylinder Performance Handbook has one picture of the casting flash on page 22.
Dennis Schjeldahl, (say Shell-doll)
Co-Author of The Ford Falcon Performance Handbook
http://www.falcon6handbook.com

Soldmy66

Post #16 by Soldmy66 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Re the casting flash, that could be taken care without opening the log - by using extrude honing -- if only you wouldn't have to go into escrow to get that done. Boy, is that ever EXPENSIVE.

First Fox

Post #17 by First Fox » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:17 pm

wsa111 wrote:...
Prime example, the big block chevy performs better with the oval port heads rather than the rectangular port heads.
With your turbo deal any combination will be better than the naturally aspired intake.

You are discussing something there that I am very familiar with and with which I have a lot of experience as well. Your comparison is apples and oranges as you are talking about the cross sectional shape and size of a port, not a plenum where velocities are relatively low. And even with that being true, it is not the port SHAPE difference between the two that makes a difference in power or more accurately airflow, it is the overall AREA of the ports. The rectangular BBC ports are much larger than the oval ports and that's where the added airflow and loss of port velocity comes from, not the shape difference between the two styles. There is also a ROUND port variant of BBC heads as well known as "peanut" ports heads, and they have even greater port velocity as the ports are VERY small. And while they make terrific low speed torque, they won't flow enough air to rev past 4000 rpm. Also, the oval port heads indeed do NOT always out perform the rectangular port heads. They are intended for medium speed engines and they excel in those application. The large rectangular port heads excel when reving to 8 or 10 thousand rpm and the peanut port heads are the way to make diesel like torque in a tow rig. Its all about application, same as with a lot of things we discuss.

The shape of the PLENUM or the log in this case isn't going to slow velocity down nearly as much as port shape. Whch is nitbbeing changed at all. A larger plenum tends to favour high speed performance at the cost of low speed torque but the shape of the plenum runner or the log itself, is not going to lower overall airflow much if at all. Booster signal and idle quality , probably, but overall airflow, I doubt it.

And as far as the hood clearance, I assure you it is an issue for me and there is very little clearance even with my homemade carb hat. The carb hat needs to be taller than it is not shorter, and if I even add an inch to the carb with an Offy adapter, I will have to make my new carb hat shorter still and that is definitely a step on the wrong direction. I can mount the new plenum lower than the stock carb location is now.

Lowering engine mounts is not an option as there is priceless little room between the pan/k-member and rack and pinion. It ain't gonna happen without some major work.

And FSD, chances are the V8 crowd probably pulled the "just because you can..." thing with you when you decided to build your six in the first place. I for one am glad you ignored them and did our own thing. Just like I am doing. :beer:

By removing the side of the log, it should allow me at least some access to cleaning up the intake ports. :beer: Extrude honing one of these heads is like putting a silk hat on a pig.
Last edited by First Fox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.

FalconSedanDelivery

Post #18 by FalconSedanDelivery » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:30 pm

It took a long time to build My 6 ,it started when I was 17 ( 1977)and had a 66 Mustang with a 200, there were Few parts back then , but when the guys at the local speed shop said you cant make one of those engines run for crap , well low 14's at 91 aint too shabby and There was low 13's left but Life ( Finances ) made me sell all the 6 stuff I had , and actually the engine now is with Powerband , Good Luck with your Project

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #19 by xctasy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 pm

FalconSedanDelivery wrote:It took a long time to build My 6 ,it started when I was 17 ( 1977)and had a 66 Mustang with a 200, there were Few parts back then , but when the guys at the local speed shop said you cant make one of those engines run for crap , well low 14's at 91 aint too shabby and There was low 13's left but Life ( Finances ) made me sell all the 6 stuff I had , and actually the engine now is with Powerband , Good Luck with your Project

Any modifyer should only be interested in what precentage boost you get with each modification.

Powerband, yeah!, FSD's engine is the best naturally asperated log head engine ever. No one else has a 220 hp flywheel 250 I6 using stock Ford parts. Thats 2.2 times the stock approx 100 hp net rating, without a turbo.

The point is that FSD got that even with the most constrained Offy intake and car throttle body size restrictions, the FalconSedanDelivery 66 Mustang set up made power. Even with very restrictive porting.

Any thing that fits underhood and improves carb port area on an beyond the stock Offy set up, will provide solid gold power increases.

First Fox, your really on the right track...Box section log intakes all the way....

As for other posters, yeah, casting flash is an issue, but how come Crosely's direct mount 500 cfm Holley 2-bbl can make 205 flywheel hp from just 200 cubic inches? Answer. Carb Port area was opened up.

Increase the size of the carb port area, and you gain performance. De-dagging the ports becomes less of an issue when you have a straight shot to ports 1 and 2, 3 and 4 and 5 and 6. Remove the 90 degree bends.

Ak Miillers weld on intaked 67 Mustang mods proved that the Ford six responds to pure carb port area increases and less bends. 1.5 times the power just there from geometry and area improvements.

The log cna be a dog for flow, but the best manifolding reduces the total hea loss. The best maniofold and carbueration is the one that produces the lowest cfm loss. If your intake ports only flow 165 cfm at 28" H20 with the log cut off, then you do the bare minimum mods to make the whole pacakge flow 165 cfm at 28" H20 from the manifold.

It classic Holman Moody Cleveland Rat roster or Smoley Y intake maniifold design.

Pure carb port area increases and Less Bends
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #20 by powerband » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:05 am

FalconSedanDelivery wrote:It took a long time to build My 6 ,.../ and actually the engine now is with Powerband , Good Luck with your Project

? ... just "for the record" - I'm not sure what FSD meant, FSD's engine was not gotten by me. My current various projects are all self-(home) built, in the pursuit of similar power achievements ...

have fun

Powerband

FalconSedanDelivery

Post #21 by FalconSedanDelivery » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:46 pm

oops My Bad , :bang: It IS someone on here that has it, I will check my records , Sorry, Ok Update its Gene 64 2dr, that bought it

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #22 by xctasy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:54 pm

FalconSedanDelivery wrote:oops My Bad , :bang: It IS someone on here that has it, I will check my records , Sorry, Ok Update its Gene 64 2dr, that bought it

Wow, cool. Great pickup Gene! Powerband and everyone else here who isn't Gene, we sure missed out on a truly great engine, and it was for sale for just 1500 bucks.

It'll always be your engine,FalconSedanDelivery. I've taken carefull stock of everything you've said about carb, ignitions, transmissions, cams and torque converters. I think I understand about 1% of it, so I'm well on the way...

Taking a quarter of an inch collectively off the 250 engine's height by decking the head and block was a master coup.

Everyone here should go over his Tuesday August 30, 2011 post on 2 and 4-bbl carb positioning and understand it.

I've looked at a few really good weld ons.

and airborne

airborne wrote:Here are pictures of my 66 Mustang with my homemade tri-power that I built with the help of the combined experience of this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93589044@N ... hotostream

and Patrick66's

Our member patrick66.

He had his machine shop do a welded C6 DE 6090 B X6 head (predrilled Thermocator without the AIR system), and they mig welded in two ports.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63673&p=487870#p487870

Page 52 of his 55 page shows the steps.
Very nice work.

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/patric ... =3&page=52

I liked Colton Andersons set up in2 inch box, so I have two Ni99 welded on intake manilfold adaptors, one (NCHO-3V) for three 1-bbls, and one (NCHO-6V) for three 2-bbls, but they feed from the top like Patrick66's welded on items, and require a Ferrair or Lamborghini air filtercleaner.

See http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3012033/1 ... ng/page-4/

and click load more posts 9 times. Patrick66 is a member here.

The Ak Miller system from Horseing around with the Mustang six is smarter concept. For any kind of Holley 2300 series down draft carb in the stock position on a 250, you have to cut the choke air horns off the carbs, and run feedback carb style cold start enrichment.

First Fox, you'll be the first to articulate a special blend of

Ak Miller's Stub welded-on-inlets to small log head 67 Mustang 200

and Lincs200's sidewinder manifolding.

Should be epic!

Gene 64 2dr

Post #23 by Gene 64 2dr » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm happy to report that yes, I have FSD 250.
It was a very long trip back late in 2013 to go and get it but well worth the trip. I can't wait to get it installed in my Falcon and get to the strip.
The problem is I still have yet to switch out my 200 with it. I had a very busy 2014 and haven't had any time to get to it.
Growing pains (all good) with a company I started, learning to fly and my son needing a lot of help putting together a 67 Galaxie. FSD also helped him with his knowledge and putting together a distributor for his built up 390.
I have a lot of work to do with the Falcon starting with replacing the rear frame rails then getting the 250 installed.

Unfortunately we will have to wait until at least late April before New England Dragway opens. 14's would sure be nice.

Gene
65 Falcon Futura hardtop, FSD’s 250, T5, 4:11’s

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #24 by xctasy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:47 am

Its all good Gene, at least its safe, and gone to a great home.

Now, we can get you to rephoto it, and blow up the pictures in huge megapixels and find out just what else FSD did to make such a normally latent engine go so darned well.

I spent all my time on FSD's facebook and FSD dragway site trying to get a picture that showed the carbs and air cleaner stub mouths, and all the drama.

Drag racers have always been a special breed, and Farron has always made it hard for us regular guys to copy all his hard work....

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #25 by wsa111 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:07 pm

First Fox wrote:
wsa111 wrote:...

You are discussing something there that I am very familiar with and with which I have a lot of experience as well. Your comparison is apples and oranges as you are talking about the cross sectional shape and size of a port, not a plenum where velocities are relatively low. And even with that being true, it is not the port SHAPE difference between the two that makes a difference in power or more accurately airflow, it is the overall AREA of the ports. The rectangular BBC ports are much larger than the oval ports and that's where the added airflow and loss of port velocity comes from, not the shape difference between the two styles. There is also a ROUND port variant of BBC heads as well known as "peanut" ports heads, and they have even greater port velocity as the ports are VERY small. And while they make terrific low speed torque, they won't flow enough air to rev past 4000 rpm. Also, the oval port heads indeed do NOT always out perform the rectangular port heads. They are intended for medium speed engines and they excel in those application. The large rectangular port heads excel when reving to 8 or 10 thousand rpm and the peanut port heads are the way to make diesel like torque in a tow rig. Its all about application, same as with a lot of things we discuss.

You are correct when the only heads available were the factory heads. For the street the oval ports worked great for a street engine.
AFR now offers some pretty stout oval port heads for the BBC.
Best of success on your project any thing you do will out perform the stock log.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSII dist. MSD-6al & MSD-Blaster 8252 Coil. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

autoX65

Post #26 by autoX65 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:06 pm

it will be very interesting to hear your results first fox. I debated going with the plenum on my most recent modified log but wanted to try the 6-1 collector under thr carb so mine is almost done. for my next one I will certainly go with a plenum design so I can compare and keep pursuing improvements on my i6. way to go first fox.

Soldmy66

Post #27 by Soldmy66 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Although I've seen the drawing on this forum several times - I am still impressed with Lincs200's sidewinder manifold idea -- it looks as of it would be a great work-around to some of the existing limitations.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #28 by xctasy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:15 pm

The topic is side mounting a plenumb., and log kit modifications or changes that allow this to take place. If you are using draft carbing, here is how it can work.

To show you what possible without even a turbocharger, but just a great cam and a nine port head nigh on over40 years ago.

The 202 cubic inch L6 Holden XU1 GTR 3300's in 1972 made 216 hp flywheel hp is race trim with this Three side draft Stromberg Zenith CDS175 carb set up. It was good enough to win a 6 hour, 500 mile road race in Bathurst Australia

from http://www.partscloner.com.au/homephotoone.jpg

The next year, the 1973 Bathurst Torana XU1 GTR 3300 used triple 2-bbl DCOE 45 carbs with half the barrels inactivated for about 230 HP flywheel net hp.

The 14 hp boost came soley from the use of those huge 40 mm chokes (bigger than 1-9/16") in the 1-3/4" throttle carbs, and reliability from special Cologne Capri V6 style solid skirt cast pistons.
Last edited by xctasy on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Fox

Post #29 by First Fox » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:34 am

Thank you guys for your response and interest in this project. I apologize for not updating but I was injured in my garage while doing some suspension work and have been unable to do anything with it or barely even type a response here. But I will finish this project and update for you guys because if there is one thing that there is already too much of in these forums is projects that are forgotten or people promising to update and then disappearing for eternity.

I will do this.
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #30 by bubba22349 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:06 am

Best wishes on a speedy recovery First Fox! :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #31 by xctasy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:45 pm

A thumbs up, and get well.

Please take some time to consider that we can't controll everything that happns to us, even when we are very safety conscoius like I know you are... things do happen. Remember that your contribution to our lives at Ford Six has been truly inspirational, and I think everyone here would share that sentiment. You are a true performance disciple, but in being a great follower, you are also an outstanding leader.

As our FSP I6 leader Jack Collins once siad it best,

"sometimes life intersects on a good plan".

As a less than as serious as to your injury adjunct,...

I have been busy working on my triple carb project, needed an extra few sensors to resolve throttle positioning to my data logger. The US now market is big enough to have helped reduce the unit price to a 10th of the OEM cost on some parts, so I've been waiting for the package to come thru. I was pretty exicited, and was elated and had a real spring in my step prior to Thursday, 12 noon, December 2014...

Sadly, everything was going well untill I had an accident with a log splitter while doing my other job wood cutting that day. The Monterey cypress is a stinker to split, so I've used a really awesome, quick gasoline power splitter, lovely machine. It doesn't suffer fools gladdly, and at hat time, I dang near took my thumb off. 30 years without an workplace accident untill that day.

Thank G-d, it's okay, despite it hangin on by 60 thou, the doc stitched it up under local, and I've been recuperating too. Got feeling, blood flow and just thankfull it wasn't even worse..

My solace is that I'm not maimed, and recovering, but its been very hard cause I work 4 jobs and was working on my XEC project full bore till that day.

My thougts, our thoughts, are with you. Good news is that my doc checked the thumb, and its ready for physio now, and Im able to drive after 3 weeks off work. We are a tyrpic naany state her In Moo Zealand, so our high tax rate pays for the entitlement to be on workers compensation till the end of the month.

But that US part arrived from LA today, and now I'm able to data log two vehciles at the same time to back to back compare my enginering work.

I'll PM you, I'm working on something thats maybee related to your plans, which may just help and inspire you thru your long recuperation ahead.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #32 by rbohm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:43 pm

First Fox wrote:Thank you guys for your response and interest in this project. I apologize for not updating but I was injured in my garage while doing some suspension work and have been unable to do anything with it or barely even type a response here. But I will finish this project and update for you guys because if there is one thing that there is already too much of in these forums is projects that are forgotten or people promising to update and then disappearing for eternity.

I will do this.

you are not supposed to hurt yourself working on the car dude. you hurt yourself sliding into turn three and hitting the wall so that both you AND the car need body work. :P :P

get well quick.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #33 by xctasy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Was reading a book today

Then I remembered.

How are you, Mr Fox?

First Fox wrote:Thank you guys for your response and interest in this project. I apologize for not updating but I was injured in my garage while doing some suspension work and have been unable to do anything with it or barely even type a response here. But I will finish this project and update for you guys because if there is one thing that there is already too much of in these forums is projects that are forgotten or people promising to update and then disappearing for eternity.

I will do this.

64 200 ranchero

Post #34 by 64 200 ranchero » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:26 pm

i have tried to improve on the offy design. when i bought my tri-power head, the offy had been cut into 3 pieces and the head did not include the linkage so i decided to make my own fully adjustable progressive linkage using heim joints, levers, a chain link from a bike chain, and a piece of round stock rod. i had the back carb port of the offy milled to match the front and matched the size of the intake holes on the offy.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=74 ... =3&theater
60 ford ranchero daily driver. 200 tri power, modified c4 trans, ds2 distributor, msd programable 6al2, weber ict's, 8" rear end with full spool, 3.40 gears, 245 tires, CI dual out header, Flowmaster, 114hp shot wet nitrous kit. JE Forged pistons, 280 110lc cam, around 11-1 compression.

First Fox

Post #35 by First Fox » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Hahaha... Nice, Dean! :beer:

Truly sorry guys. I of course was injured around Christmas and at the same time found myself unemployed for the first time in 25 years and the construction company I worked with went under and I have not been back to work since. I have not been on the forum much and have had little to offer, but I am bouncing around again now though and back in the garage full time working on some projects to help make some money to keep the lights on, including a twin turbo bent 8, 4 speed fairlane that will be Sol to some old white guy with too much disposable income. :beer:

Of all people in the world, Mr comet actually popped his head over the other day to check on me and remknded me of the forum. Thanks for your concern guys and believe me, when I am on top of my finances this will get done. I promise. :beer:

And good god man, I hope that thumb healed up! It looks awful and its got to be hard using air tools with half a thumb.
Last edited by First Fox on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #36 by rbohm » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 pm

good to hear you are getting back into the swing of things. keep it up.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #37 by xctasy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:41 pm

The fingernail has almost grown bacon, um, back on, and I'm using my tools, welder etc.

Sadly, I've got rather a lot of work if I want to Fox around...

First Fox

Post #38 by First Fox » Sun May 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Just touching base again guys. I haven't forgotten about this project and I won't leave tou guys hanging. I am doing side work to pay my bills and am keeping my head above water but I will get back to it when I am on top of things again. :beer:

Dean... What the heck happened to your car man? Are foxbodies easy to come by there? Uggghh. Sorry man.
My garage:

1962 Falcon. 170/Auto.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #39 by xctasy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am

First Fox wrote:Just touching base again guys. I haven't forgotten about this project and I won't leave tou guys hanging. I am doing side work to pay my bills and am keeping my head above water but I will get back to it when I am on top of things again. :beer:

Gene 64 2dr wrote:I'm happy to report that yes, I have FSD 250.
It was a very long trip back late in 2013 to go and get it but well worth the trip. I can't wait to get it installed in my Falcon and get to the strip.
The problem is I still have yet to switch out my 200 with it. I had a very busy 2014 and haven't had any time to get to it.
Growing pains (all good) with a company I started, learning to fly and my son needing a lot of help putting together a 67 Galaxie. FSD also helped him with his knowledge and putting together a distributor for his built up 390.
I have a lot of work to do with the Falcon starting with replacing the rear frame rails then getting the 250 installed.

Unfortunately we will have to wait until at least late April before New England Dragway opens. 14's would sure be nice.

Gene

So how you doing First Fox, 64 200 ranchero and Gene 64 2dr; the Tri Power Triad?

Care to fill us in?

P.S Got a picture of the old FSD monster last week in a FB post to 64 200 ranchero and MustangGeezer as well as others.....Faron's old beast!

Before, all I had was this

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72738&p=559154#p559154
and this

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69857&p=535710#p535710
xctasy wrote:FWIW, the log mount tri power is a very poor kit, with poor porting giving inconsistant power due to different hole sizes between the center carb and the outers. For the early ones, 1.3 center, 1.09 outer, for the later ones, 1.6875" center, 1.4375" outers. Either way, the air fuel ratios are not even through the rev range, and you have to spend an amount of dyno time to get them working well.

If done right, you can get 143 rwhp with just three 29 mm progressive ICT Weber 1-bbls on a 200 cube 61 Falcon tudor, or over 210 hp with three ' straight unison linkage' Autolite 1101 in the center and 1904 Holley's outboard on a 65 Mustang (Drag car only) 250 Six + goodies , , 14.39 so far.

For 200 dyno figures, see kevinl1058 on http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64712.

Flywheel Corrected # 177.05H.P., 204.20 lb-ft
H.P. peak at 5100 RPM. Torque Peak at 3250 RPM

Video http://vimeo.com/20044528

For 250 quarter mile figures, see FalconSedanDelivery.

#108 by FalconSedanDelivery » Tue May 10, 2011

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 31#p502631

This guy is too quiet, his set up is very creditable 200-225 flywheel hp, and most likely the most powerful triple 1-bbl around. He runs a unison linkage, high initial advance of 16 to 18 degrees, total timing to 30 degrees its all in at 2350, decked block 100 thou and head 120 thou for huge 12.3:1 C/R, and the worlds neatest tri power intake ever seen. His 14.39 @ 90.76 mph was is shifted at 5000 and 4300 at the traps, earlier runs were 5200 and 4700 rpm. He ran with 3.5:1 gears for the 14.39. Best 60 foot time 1.915 secs in a 2600+ pound car with a an estimated 165 at the rear wheels.

Finally got a close up from a 2010 August 7 photo...the 14 second machine!

And all the other photos FSD posted.

Partway thru timeslip at Beaver Springs.

FSD in action...

proper sized pics

I wasn't a Facebook user then...big mistake!

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #40 by ludwig » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:41 am

That is an awesome setup. I love the sleeper look, too. Strictly business under the hood.

What is that copper line from the fuel block on the fenderwell?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #41 by xctasy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Dunno for sure.

I'd bet on the repurposed Vac gauge. Fuel pressure gauge or a bleed back line is my guess.

It might be one of these.

All I know is he has a Vac gauge on top,

RPM at center, flanked by volts and the three others, I can't tell. Knowing FSD, he'll use all the visual tell tales and the obscured wheel won't remove any thing he needs to know. It may be from Beaver Springs, but their isn't any BS in this 65 Must Fang

As Mr Ford said as Hans

:beer:

Gene 64 2dr

Post #42 by Gene 64 2dr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Well I'll give everyone an update on Faron's six. I wish I could tell everyone that it's in the car and running but I had big problems with th 64 Falcon and it has been replaced with a 65 Futura. I have just finished all the suspension parts swap over and I am finally getting ready the start the engine install. That's going to take some time because the new car is a automatic and I'm doing the T5 swap. With a bit of luck I might make it before I have to have shoulder surgery which won't help with the swap (always something).
I will let you all know when it's in.
It will live again!

Gene
65 Falcon Futura hardtop, FSD’s 250, T5, 4:11’s

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #43 by xctasy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:26 am

:thumbup: