250 pushrod/rocker q's

m in sc

I tried to search but coulndt find an answer.

So, i have a 250 in my 75 maverick, have a 'new' us spec log head thats been decked .070, going to run a comp cam, nothing teribly special.

however, i always like the idea of an adjustable rocker. i have the stock rocker setup on the 250 (its dead bone stock as i got it), but i also have a set of adjustable rockers from an early 144. my question is: is there any benefit to going adjustable to comensate for the milled head height difference, and if so, will non oiling ball and cup pushrods work ok with a hyd lifter in this motor? or should i use the stock 250 setup? Its going to be a steet driven semi daily driver, and i dont want to go full roller adjustable yet.

and.. if i DO decide to go with the adjustables out of th e144, where the hell can i get pushrods? thanks.

I have a 250 with the aluminum head. Also wanted adjustable rockers, but did want to spend the $600 on the full roller rocker set.

Picked up a set of adjustable stamped steel rockers from CI, I expect they are functionally equivalent to the 170 adjustable rockers. CI has some ball and cup pushrods on their site; I ordered some of these, but they were too long. Ended up measuring carefully (with an adjustable pushrod), then ordering a set of custom pushrods from Smith Brothers. Not only were they the correct length, but the cup fits the ball on the end of the rocker arm adjuster more closely. The Smith Brothers pushrods were a bit pricey though - about $150 as I remember.

Thanks
Bob

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71383&p=549672#p549672
62Ranchero200":1irkr5tg said:
xctasy":1irkr5tg said:
xctasy":1irkr5tg said:
Did you use the 8.920" pushrods?

What rod length did you use.

I ended up ordering 8 13/16" (8.8125") pushrods from Smith Brothers. These are 1/2" shorter than "stock length" pushrods. I think I could have made slightly longer pushrods work, maybe up to 9".

The "stock length" CI cup and ball pushrods were 9 5/16", and the -1/8" CI cup and ball pushrods would have been 9 3/16" (3/8" longer than the Smith Brothers pushrods), definitely too long for the style of adjustable rocker arm that I have. Haven't finished adjusting valves because my battery died and I have to replace it so that I can bump the engine over ... can't get to the harmonic balancer bolt now that the fan is installed.

Thanks
Bob

The pushrod on the left is the Smith Brothers, on the right is the CI pushrod.
CIVsSmithBrosPushrod-CupEnd-Smaller_zpse1902a96.jpg

Howdy Back:

I bought my 250 ball and cup pushrods from Clifford Performance. I'm guessing they are still in business. About $50 as I recall.

Adios, David

Back