250 double roller timing chain kit supply and demand

69stang_250

VIP
So I want to know the following and please answer each question with your reply.

Would you like a 250 inline 6 double roller timing set?

Would you mind if it involved machining your crank?

would you rather a bolt on kit?

What is a fair price you would pay for the kit?

Keep in mind this will be for a US 250.

the best set up would be a bolt in kit, with a price of about $100. if you set it up with a multi key way crank sprocket, say 0-2-4-6 degrees advance and retard, so much the better.

the reason i recommend a bolt in kit is because not many people are going to want to take a fresh 250 already in the car and running out and apart to machine the crank snout. a bolt in kit greatly expands your customer base.

I just want to see what the demand is for theses and what people are willing to pay for them. The demand has to be there to make them. I plan on figuring this out over the next few weeks.

Machining the gears is more precision than you may think it is even to just bore the crank gear to a larger size, and most timing sets are matched with the precise pitch on both gears and the chain as a complete unit. The center to center dimension is held to a very tight +/- dimension, so you may want to explore to see if you can produce one to these exacting tolerances before you find out you can't do it.

I am looking at getting them made before going that rout, but if the demand is not there, I doubt I can get a ready to install set to sell for $100 or less.

:unsure: The qickest way to a double roller timing chain set to fit a 250 block might be in using and modding the SBF V8 gears (289, 302, 5.0) with a modded or custom lenght chain. At least some on this site have went this route like Does 10's the first to custom engineer a working set and later also Mike1157 see the below links. Good luck :nod:

Dose 10's Double Roller Timing Chain Set

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 4&p=447439

Mike1157 Double Roller Timing Chain Set,

/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71635

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=71986

Differences in the two stock Ford 250 Timing Chain Sets.
1. The early narrow set 1969 to 1972 has cam timing straight up is suitable for a stock to mild engine build.
2. The 1973 and later the chain is wider and the cam gear is retarded 4 degrees this is also suitable for a stock to mild engine build

See pictures in this old Post by Econoline
I know this has been discussed and I have read through all the various topics posted regarding the timing set for the 250 but I am still a little confused. I want to replace my timing set so I've been looking into it. My 250 is a '70 and I understand I want a pre '73 chain.

There has been a lot of discussion that the available sets are all late era retarded. But when I look for a set I find 2 different sets available from at least 2 companies and probably sealed power as well(with a couple of hitches ;)). First are the ones available @ Autozone and Advanced Auto and maybe elsewhere, the "SA Gear" #73083 @ $38 for '69-'72 250 & #73016 for '73 on. Next is Cloyes, while no set is available for '69-'72, parts can be bought to make a set those being #C363 chain, #S415 crank, and #S414 cam @ ~$70. The '73 on is available in set #C3016 with the only part difference being the cam sprocket #S442 vs S414 for the early version.

To complicate things further, I present these 3 pictures, notice the "SA" in the casting.

Cloyes S414:
bh33.jpg

"SA" late:
juf7.jpg

"SA" early:
wdmj.jpg

On the "SA" late set, if you look close, you can see S442 on the cam sprocket as well as "SA" and so on and S415 on the crank sprocket showing that this "SA" set is in fact Cloyes, the difference may* be in the chain which may* be a Cloyes C354 which is a cheaper chain than the C363. If you look at the "SA" early set it has the S415 sprocket but the Cam sprocket is completely different, and not the S414 :banghead:

Any light any one can shed would be great. At this point I think I'll just peice meal an all Cloyes set together with the C636, S414, and S415

I feel like Mike Myers :LOL: welcome to schprokets :)

And one Last 250 timing chain set info that might be adaptable to work for a 250 block see below link for some more posts by Xstascy.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69097&p=547594&hilit=250+timing+chain+set#p529459

I have read both of those a few times and I do think those are the fastest ways to get one. what I am doing is trying to see how much I can get a set made for and how much bulk sets would cost.
I have the chain figured out, but the gears are whats holding me up.

It makes you wonder why Classic Inlines couldn't pull it off with these companies he spent large sums of money with and had his buying power. He surely had the market and niche for this part, and im sure he tried to twist their arms to make these timing sets for him, so why couldn't he get it done? I mean, this was the business he was in. Making parts for these engines where there was none. Why couldn't he do it?

That is one of the things I am wondering myself.
I am not sure if the sprocket for the 200 is the same as any other engines, but maybe the parts are similar to others they sell?
I know with the 250 that the crank sprocket is larger than the 200 and SBF ones.

I,d say a quality setup is going to be in the $200.00 range. avoiding import parts is going to be real tough. also $100.00 isn't reality nowdays just dreaming. I need a set if this becomes reality so keep me in mind. on the does10 setup what scares me is taking a "link" out of the chain and keeping it reliable. billet sprocket setups -multi keyways is going to be $250.00 + up I feel. remember this is 2016. another thing to consider is a gear drive like the 250 chevy uses. jmo
bob

Yes I am going to agree, but one thing I am thinking that will lower the cost is using the Toyota chain.
The thing that may stop me is having the sprockets made. I got to looking at a few companies and most have a $1,000 minimum. I am not sure I am willing to put up that kinda money for something that has not been ran and tested. One company I am looking into is about 20 minutes from my house in Louisiana. They have a very good reputation in the tug boat fleets and they make some components for eurocopter, so I am thinks no they may be a good one to talk to.
Guess we will see what they say tomorrow when I talk to them.

bubba22349":jrc3opwa said:
:unsure: The qickest way to a double roller timing chain set to fit a 250 block might be in using and modding the SBF V8 gears (289, 302, 5.0) with a modded or custom lenght chain. At least some on this site have went this route like Does 10's the first to custom engineer a working set and later also Mike1157 see the below links. Good luck :nod:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... r%29/page6
Mike1157;1648728 said:
......Now there had already been another guy that had done this before, but he took the SBF chain that came in the kit, and removed one link, and then put it back together. I decided to try and find one already complete. After spending a few days, and about a dozen phone calls working on it, I found one.
According to the source, this is the stock chain for a 78 Toyota somethin-or-other. It is made in India, and is suppposed to be as good as the DiDo chain that came in the kit I bought from Summit.
Fortunately, it only cost 15 bucks.

But,.....I had no idea if it was gonna fit.

The next thing I did was place the crank. ( So I could see if the damn chain was gonna work)

So did it work?

Like a champeen! Not too tight, and only barely enough slack to allow me to get the damn thing on.

Like it was made for it.

Well, actually it was. That crank gear had to be cut .300, and the snout of the crank turned down an additional .050.
A keen eye here will notice a full length crank keyway that goes completely under that crank gear to the front of the journal.

Keep in mind that the biggest reason for failure on the high harmonics 250 is the small pin ,in the nose and not the face of the journal like a v8, and they sometimes add one more. Be best to plan for a fix .

what about the space in the back ppl have talked about (when using Will's method) is that avoided here? Nothing is machined down (to 200 ci size) with this method - so no space loosing motor oil?
Thanks ~

So the cam pin is prone to failing?
If that is the case, I think to fix that problem would be both a new timing set along with a new cam with an extra pin or a through pin.

Back