Adding some modern zip to a 200

thin castings require painstaking procedures: preheat oven, controlled cool down. Weld in 1/8 in increments, than peen, with SMAW.
Probably higher success with TIG process. Cast iron intakes can be brazed relatively easy.

I get that, and yes, you can weld iron, but to then put it through the extreme heat cycling of an exhaust manifold is asking a lot, and looking at the manifold in the pic, I would not trust it, especially for that price...

RichCreations":jbdevtx0 said:
thin castings require painstaking procedures: preheat oven, controlled cool down. Weld in 1/8 in increments, than peen, with SMAW.
Probably higher success with TIG process. Cast iron intakes can be brazed relatively easy.

I get that, and yes, you can weld iron, but to then put it through the extreme heat cycling of an exhaust manifold is asking a lot, and looking at the manifold in the pic, I would not trust it, especially for that price...

I tend to agree. These small six exhaust manifolds are thin. Many Ford cast iron exhausts from V8's weld easier and are more durable, flange warpage is more their issue, overtime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272146466335?ul_noapp=true
looks like some 1 had fun w/a hack saw, some old prts and a welder
It looks like 3 oe exh manifolds were combined. Let me know what you all think ~

thanks ALL. I should have started another thread, starting to get a lill confusing.

End of Exhaust Man. topic.

Carb upgrades weren't part of KISSArmy's brief, but hey, you asked.

CZLN6":2z2fao95 said:
To All interested:

.....IF you are capable of navigating the labyrinth of support structures for a 1946, ....., have a go at it.

Hey Kissangle, have we scared you away? Overwhelmed you? Let us know how you are doing.

Adios, David

So I started another post with the 65 photos required to explain how the 1946C Holley 1-bbl works. Its emission system may have 85 basic part numbers, but two really great people on the Fox forum have had a go explaining the parts from my show and tell. Its okay, its easier than Mosaic Law...you can use pictures instead of five meaty books and a Talmadic cross reference. And I'll give it to you for ANickel...if you follow this link...
TheGoldenAN.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74561

hotroady":2z2fao95 said:
"The problem is the 1940 part number has two different kinds of carb,

one is a small 1100 replacement,
the other a larger 1101 replacement.

The venturi increase on Ak Millers development six allowed a 50% boost at the rear wheels. Thats 50 hp potential with the bigger 1101 1.29" ventur carb. "

The fact is:

I think you ought to read the article again. Ak Miller only claimed about a 5hp increase from going from the Autolite 1100, to the Autolite 1101[/quote]

Reread it as requested. I was wrong. Should have put 61% increase "allowed" by the Autolite1101.

http://www.classicinlines.com/HA3.asp
http://www.classicinlines.com/HA4.asp
http://www.classicinlines.com/HA5.asp
http://www.classicinlines.com/HA6.asp

The behavior of the car at this point was every bit as good as it was in its stock form. We had increased horsepower from 65 to 100 at the rear wheels, yet had lost none of the economy or smoothness of operation inherent in this particular car. In fact, the first comment by people driving it is. "It just has to be an eight-it's too smooth." With a 0-60 time that will give its big brother a hard row to hoe, one can only say that changing of the car's personality had been well worth the expense and effort. After all, getting the gas mileage this little bear gets, we can save money we spent on the performance goodies in short order.

Then Ak added the 260 degree 408 thou lift cam for 105 hp, another b5 hp boost still allowed with the use of the trsty 240 big Six Autolite 1101. So it allowed a 61% peformance boost via a 40% increase in air flow. It did 0-60 in 10.2 seconds with the 100 rwhp, and 0-60 in 9.1 seconds with 115 rwhp from the 260 cam and two 245 cfm (490 cfm) HD6 Jag 3.4 carbs.

An engine is a package. It started off with 65 rear wheel horspower with the Autolite 1100, which in California, only had a a 150 cfm carb with a 1.10" venturi and just a 1.4375" throttle. then, still with the stock 1.3" log head hole with it adaptor radiused to clear the 1.6875" throttle, the 1.29" Autolite 1101 flowing 210 cfm, an extra 40%.

That "allowed" 100 horsepower to flow through it and to the resr wheels. In flywheel terms, 65 rwhp is 82 hp, 100 or 105 rwhp is 126 to 133 hp. In net hp increase at the flywheel, thats 44 to 51 hp.

Of course, when I posted that, I checked my data. Falcon sixes are practically my life, but I do make mistakes. Like anyone who strains out flees and still ends up swallowing the cammel.

Oh brother ! You didn't attribute power gains to anything other than a bigger carb in your prior post. No, its gain was do to a combination of changes. Ak claimed only 4 hp increase due to Autolite 1101.

I put some gas in my tank....this "allowed" a thousand percent increase to power at the rear wheels. Ak claimed 100hp at the rear wheels with all the listed mods. 4hp due to rejetted 1101, That's 4 percent net increase, due to carb swap.

" The venturi increase on Ak Millers development six allowed a 50% boost at the rear wheels. Thats 50 hp potential with the bigger 1101 1.29" ventur carb." is what you claimed.

Its a balanced combination.
Late model large log head with larger valves & exhaust divider. The head intake converted to a two barrel carb. as mine is a Holley 4412 with my own modifications, cause the carb out of the box is too rich. The carb needs metering block modifications to correct the rich idle & rich transition mixture which i perform.
The next is get the compression ratio close to 9.5-1.
Install a short duration camshaft like an Isky 262, Clay Smith 264 or a Schneider camshaft.
The next mod is a decent exhaust header long tube to increase torque leading to an X pipe to decrease exhaust drone.
The next mod it a distributor curved to match this combo. I also do this. I have 2 distributors for sale right now on the small six for sale part of the forum.
The result is 139 RWHP on a dynojet chassis dyno.
I would like to strip test this comb, but the closest 1/4 mile is miles away.
Street performance is great. Zero to sixty is in the low eights or high seven second area.
Performance is very close to a 289 two barrel carb. engine.

wsa111,
Your set up is much like I intend to do. Low end torque, where it is most useful for street driving, extending rpm limit to perhaps 4800rpm. 140 rhp is my target goal. Tractable and practical. I want my car quiet, also.

wsa111,
That is a classic example of a high performance inline and a good illustration to the op of what any one could do today. He sounds as if he is looking for just a mild performance increase though.
The 1.65 rockers may not be immediately available but probably available soon.
0-60 in the high 7 low 8's is pretty impressive. That must be fun to drive.

bmbm40":tiog4251 said:
" … a good illustration to the op of what any one could do today. He sounds as if he is looking for just a mild performance increase though..".
Feb 12th is awhile -
he may B gone by now?

U still around KISSArmy?
Get what U were lookin 4?

Back