Mini-starter on 200

revherbel

So, I have a Comet that had come with a 170 but previous owner replaced it with a 200. Now it has headers from Clifford and at that time, the 9406 mini-starter from Summit was recommended due to clearance issues. That was all installed last fall. This May, now, I have grinding. Checked voltage and that's all good. Looked at ring gear teeth behind the access plate and there's some shiny wear. So, has anyone else had this problem? I don't know the state of the ring gear prior, of course, but is this because the 200 doesn't have 184 teeth like an FE would? It is a 1968 200 (from casting numbers) with a C4.

revherbel":2gkjpbra said:
So, I have a Comet that had come with a 170 but previous owner replaced it with a 200. Now it has headers from Clifford and at that time, the 9406 mini-starter from Summit was recommended due to clearance issues. That was all installed last fall. This May, now, I have grinding. Checked voltage and that's all good. Looked at ring gear teeth behind the access plate and there's some shiny wear. So, has anyone else had this problem? I don't know the state of the ring gear prior, of course, but is this because the 200 doesn't have 184 teeth like an FE would? It is a 1968 200 (from casting numbers) with a C4.

The tooth pitch or spacing is the same ,that is why the 184 is larger, that is not your problem. Sorry.

The ring gear may be lined up with the starter on a worn section of teeth. Perhaps try and turn the engine manually at the crank to move the flywheel to a different position and then see if it grabs.

Yeah, at autozone yesterday, I learned the spacing on the teeth is the same despite tooth count difference. I didn't realize how different the diameter differed. The problem does seem to be the ring gear. Thanks for the feedback. I'll let everyone know how it all turns out.

The ring gear may be removable/replaceable.

If so, you can pull the ring gear off by heating it with a torch to expand it. Often you can flip it over and reuse the unworn opposite side. Heat it back up to expand, drop it back on, and tap it back into place.

That's a nifty trick. Is it keyed on there somehow? Seems like it would slip under the torque of starting otherwise, alot of surface area there though

Back