302 vs. Stock Valve Springs

sarnett346

Hello all,
Is there an easy way to tell if you've got 302 valve springs or stock just by looking at them? Outside diameter perhaps? I'm asking this as my 200 has been rebuilt at some point and I'm trying to figure out what has been done to it.
Thanks!

Howdy Back Sarnett:

Not that I am aware off. All have a 2" free height. I've never measured coil diameter or counted the number of coils but, from memory, there is no visual difference between stock type springs. Valve springs had various color markings from the factory. We have never found any references to decode the colors.

Spring pressure varies. A stock early 144/170 spring, measured at the open valve height of 1.22" at 114 lbs. A late model 200 spring, valve open, measures 150 lbs. A '73 - '74 302 exhaust valve spring measured at 1.22" measures 200 lbs.

What is the engine you are working on? More details may help us to help you.

Adios, David

It is a 200 block with a 1976 250 head. The previous owner did some work to the engine, I'm just not sure if he/she upgraded to 302 valve springs when the head was mated to the block.

I would replace any springs with aftermarket springs. Schneider Cams, Clay Smith & so on. The reason all have dampers inside the spring.

Back