Autolite 1100 carburetor

jimlj66

I have been dealing with a fuel leak on my Autolite 1100 carburetor off and on for years now and I have about decided to throw in the towel and replace the carburetor. The leak is where the fuel filter screws into the carburetor. Nothing I have done seems to work for a long term fix. I have replaced the filter several times as the threads look bad on the old one. No amount of Teflon tape on the threads will stop the leak. I don't dare tighten it anymore for fear of stripping the threads in the carburetor. A couple years ago I thought I had solved the problem when I JB welded a brass fitting into the carburetor, then screwed the filter into the fitting. That lasted a few trips before it started leaking again. I can't seem to find or make a gasket that will stop the leak.

I think the 52 plus year old threads on the old autolite have had it, and I have certainly had it with the leak. Any suggestions of a way to stop the leak? What about a replacement carburetor? I don't really want to spend $300 plus dollars on a "re-built" Autolite that may or may not solve the problem. I can't seem to find one without a SCV, and built for an automatic transmission. What would I be getting into if I purchased one of the many Carter clones built for the 240 and 300?

just gota post frm Seth (econoline) abt his same leak. He was fearing a fire as the leak trickled into danger. Make sure it's not on the seam (way these 'last' filters in the system R manafactured) as that's where he saw his. (It's a 2 prt brass case).

Do U have a copy of 'the Handbook' ? There R several carbs listed there. Many can B DIY w/the carb's 'choke pull off' for an autom transm.
What do U drive? Nothing in sig...

I need the RBS (215flow) as my hood is so low & the 1100 is just as low (2 lowest).
Some 'big6' carbs R too high for my hood.

3 wraps of teflon tape will stop any thread leak - I ssume it's what Seth wuz talkin bout.

Like Chad said, my leak was in the filter assy not at the carb threads. Maybe you could find a descent "core" 1100 and swap the top over to your carb.

I think (at least this time, we'll see how long it lasts) I have the leak at the threads stopped. I ended up taking a piece of fuel line about 1/4" long that fit snuggly over the threads of the filter, and made a band from some 1/2" electrical conduit about 1/8" long that fit snuggly over the fuel line to keep it from bulging out when I tightened up the filter. I think the same thing could have been done with a fat O ring. This made a good rubber seal at the filter and carburetor that won't pop out when tightened.

Chad, I do have the book, thanks for the reminder.

Econoline, definetly not the filter seam leaking. I'm on at least the third one since I've been chasing this leak. It's always been weeping or dripping at the threads. I'll keep on the hunt for a good 1100 bowl cover.

Back