Early Distributor Rotor 'Clip" ?

powerband

2K+
VIP
... helping a friend has a mostly original '63 Falcon with '66 Mustang 200 - occasionally quitting or no-start and once warmed up would cut out. After a few hours of research found skipping ignition puses at low speed. The OEM '66 distributor was missing the notched shaft spring clip which keeps rotor stable and was wobbling all over timing. Owner had tried rebuild carb, a Pertronix conversion, new coil and one wire alt. which confused the issue for me.

I didn't have that style (mid-years?) distrib' so swapped a points dist. from a (DSII swapped) 250, appears to have cured odd running condition .

What's the little spring clip called ?, anyone run into similar condition? - probably wont re-use dist' anyway ...

thanx

Hi, on my 66 Bronco, 170, load o matic distributor, I could never find the correct rotor.
The new rotors would fit the shaft, but the keyway in the rotor was too small for the key way on the shaft, and the rotor could twist if you twisted it. All I needed to do was silicone the rotor in place and it worked fine. Good luck

thanks B RON CO ' for the info

... the '66 engine would run OK until warmed then would stumble and shut down. Probably the phenolic rotor would be fairly stable until warm. Wonder how often a 'backyard' mechanic miss this, was chasing my #%^ for while ... 8)

Subbd' spare 74 Maverick 250 'Points' distributor works fine and has centrifugal advance eliminating LOM - vac only advance setup. All later dist's - points and DSI used different rotor.

have fun

:unsure: yeah those retainers usally stay right on the Distribitor shaft, without it the rotor would have a lot of play. :nod:

Back