'65 200 engine

Cornholio

Hey all! I have a chance to buy a complete running 200 from a 65 Mustang, and I was wondering if the engine is worth turning into a performance engine? I mean one that has more pep in its step, not a 1/4 mile rod. I also wondered if the dizzy from my 250 will fit it since I have electronic ignition already.
No idea about internal condition yet, I just know he says it was running when pulled.
Thanks all!
1965 200.jpg

Why not. A compression test would tell you what you something. Pull the valve cover and see if the valve train is all sludged up. Ask if it's ever been over bored to his knowledge. Smell the oil fill etc. The 250 dizzy is the same.

Hi, it doesn't look like a complete running engine. I wouldn't pay to much for it.
I would keep the 250. Why are you swapping it out?
Good luck

X2 and remember that the 200 isn't a direct swap for a 250. Good luck (y) :nod: (y)

"...Why are you swapping it out?..."
rev v tq?
Still a 66 or 68 + 200 would B the 1 to look 4...

Well, I was thinking of either using the head for a tri power, or using the entire engine for a runner. All parts are there apparently
My issue is that I need my car on the road, yet I want to rebuild an engine for more performance. For the life of me I can't seem to find a 250 anywhere around me. I'd rather the 250 being rebuilt.

Sorry for the confusion... the pic is the engine I was thinking of getting. I need a running car so I'm looking for an engine or a head to rebuild to accept the Holley conversion or a tri-power, and then do a quick swap for minimal down time.

Cornholio":2jhbx9dn said:
Well, I was thinking of either using the head for a tri power

That will be the small log head.

Why is the motor taken apart?

I don't know where you are located but last year I pulled my 250 at a JY (non runner) but there were two runners in central MO one auto and one manual, can't say they are still there but I used one of the parts locators online and found them.

See Ya,
Mike

Hey Mike, I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.... not too many made it out here. This is the first inline 6 besides a 300 that I've seen. I don't care about the small log if I go the route of chopping it off and putting a different intake on.

Oh, and I have no idea why the motor is apart. I was \going to look at it in a day or so. I wanted some information before I went in case I was going to waste my time.

Cornholio":3cimgaa6 said:
Hey Mike, I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.... not too many made it out here. This is the first inline 6 besides a 300 that I've seen. I don't care about the small log if I go the route of chopping it off and putting a different intake on.

Oh, and I have no idea why the motor is apart. I was \going to look at it in a day or so. I wanted some information before I went in case I was going to waste my time.
The large log i believe will also have larger runners and is set up for larger valves... so you can utilize your 2V or 3x1 setup a lot better. And it is easier to machine for either setup too.
It's also great for hacking off the log as well if you wish to go that route.

I don't mean to screw myself here, but if you want a large head, Horseshoe Auto Wrecking in Belfair, WA has a large log head, a 74 i believe or a 69M, i can't remember, but its definitely a flat top. I was kinda planning on grabbing it in the future, but I do already have a 1980 large log 2V converted head.

My best friend will be visiting here in a few weeks from VA, and we plan to be driving all over the place b/c he loves the scenery. If you want that head, I'd be willing to pick it up and get it further north if you want to get it. We might go as far north as the top of Widbey Island, or Port Angeles if you wanted to meet there to get it. Then just pay me back and a little extra. PM me if you're interested in going that route.

Ryan

Back