Blow by?

Do a hot cranking compression test.
You can do a leak down test, but i believe its time for a visit to your machine shop.

Well, here's the current state of affairs:

Here you can see the brass t as suggested, installed. (btw I give up on the linkage... I suck as a MechEng, I'm gonna try n gerry rig a cable setup off amazon, this only gives ~60% throttle)
psgr-side-small.jpg

Here is the other side view showing the PCV out and crappy Mr gasket breather
drv-side-small.jpg

And yes Chad
chad":s1lwadpf said:
yeah, way back (another thread? this thread?) I musta advocated a 'closed pcv system'. The 32/36 won't allow it, U still may have ring trouble by the sounda da smoke. Let's C wasss up when U got this prt dwn.
This is all ur fault =) ... you have me tryin to get the PCV kept in!!

So, given all this, is the recommendation to put a double KN filter and call it a day? Will I smell it (or better said, the wifey complain)?

I'll run a hot compression test this weekend. Fingers crossed!

DrC

I can't C enuff but do U have a bent8 rod linage throttle? (after yrs/OP swapin etc?). Is there a bracket on the fire wall w/a U shaped rod hinge? May B go w/an i6 one...try cable link later?

"Mr Gasket" is all right, may B do some hand wrk/bench wrk & remove the 'stand pipe'? Put a baffle in the back VC opening to get a pcv in? (or as said by others a newer VC entirely. Lotta futzin but that's the "hobby".

Lets C abt the compression...
Sorry bout the closed pcv, didn't know which carb.
("Yeah, yeah, sure Chad")

Thnx for da pic, I lub me some pic!
:eek:

that's fine for the frnt, ifa crankcase fill is possible, just worry about the back opening, routing it correctly, having a correct pcvalve hi enuff to not draw in oily vapors (vapor is OK). A VC baffel or raising the pcv valve hier will help.

I think ur priority is to ck the valves/rings w/the compression test as the exh smoke indicates issues.
If the rings R bad, valve guides need replacement, or other - the blow by will improve w/a change there...
PCV VC caps etc low priority...

I hear ya. That said, I'm hoping that the engine is fine, as I get no smoke if the PCV is not hooked up. I would expect that if I had rings or valve issues, I'd see smoke with and without the PCV hooked up. I don't. With the stock carb setup it ran clean as a whistle.

"...clean as a whistle...."
U told me grey smoke out the tail pipe, OK, then. That;s the 32/36 being "too rich"
which can B 'tuned out'.

I C U ran nother thread on nother topic. Good on ya mate. Much beddah dat way
then cont on here.

Yeah, I know. I have too many threads about similar things. So, I have blue smoke but only with the PCV hooked up. If I dont hook it up, no smoke.
Before Weber Carb, no smoke.

And I am rich... I can smell it. I'm getting a wideband O2 sensor welded into a new exhaust pipe tomorrow. Then I'll have AFR for tuning. Plus a tach and a vac gauge (radio delete). So the tune should be pretty data driven.

Then with my dizzy hooked up proper, I'll tune in the advance and hopefully the vac advance too. Then the heavens will open, angels will sing and I'll be able to peel out!

Ok, maybe not that last one on a 2.83... but the heavens better damn open!

What is the condition of your valve seals? Brittle, missing pcs, pushed up to far?

I have yet to crack the seal on the valve cover.

Update:

I pulled the plugs and did a hot compression test. Plugs looked great (600ish miles on them), albeit a little on the white side.
Dry PSI was: 150 - 155 - 150 - 155 - 140 - 140.
I dropped in 1mL of oil into 1 and 2 and got 155 and 155 PSI respectively, so I didn't do the rest.

I installed the Wideband O2 sensor and hooked up the riggamaroe to tune the Carb (on the bench, not in the dash). I was way rich. Less than 10 AFR. Dialed in the mixture screw and left it at 13. Sticks to 13ish all the way up to 4k RPM on the bench.
Took it for spin on the highway. Ticking stopped, no buzz @WOT and no smoke at idle.
:beer: :nod:

And the heavens opened! :LOL: :D

Thanks again to all for the AWESOMENESS that is this forum.

A closed PCV system was used in the 1972 to 1974 US , 1972 Canadian and 1976-1982 Australian Pinto OHC 2000 engined cars. With a 5200 Holley Weber or Weber 32/36 DGAV. The float, air correctors and emulsion or well tubes cope 100 % with s closed PCV. The Sweedish adopted the US 1972 emmissions in 1983, and all Sierras and 2000 Pinto engined imports got the closed PCV.

now he tells us, :roll:
how come it won't work on this one?

The words "closed PCV system": means the kind that follows the Fox and 1975 Granada/Maverick/small till 1977 Early Bronco. The specifics of that system is the rocker cover baffle and the rear filler and front under carb PCV tee. It does a similar job to the Pinto closed PCV system with its spring loadef crankcase baffle.

This Baffles a lot of people....

The 32/36 carb upper port isnt for a PCV. Its a bowl vent for vapor; not ever for rocker cover hoses, filler or one or two or three peg PCV to 3/8 gromet. Those last holes are to balance blowby, which can be as much as 3cfm at wide open throttle.

"...The specifics of that system is the rocker cover baffle and the rear filler and front under carb PCV tee. It does a similar job to the Pinto closed PCV system with its spring loadef crankcase baffle...."
any diagrams?

I thought the 32/36 "could not B a closed system" due to emulsion tubes or sompin
sure I'm over baffled.

I see pic of all sorta stuff, would believe a closed system, easy frnt VC hole access for crankcase top off and a fine running mo`chine R all compatible. Back v front would seem to B interchangeable (except for 1st stretch to AC housing and 2nd, 'below butterfly). The 'open plenum' of the VC would seem to have more draw of all the atmosphere in there to the line connected thru the pvc valve & 'manaf. vacuum'). This is the 1st I've heard of some sorta springed apperadis for the vc baffle. That sounds like 1 in which oily vapors are more actively directed. May B just for the 32/36?

All 32/36 and Fords with the 5200 or feedback 6200 HW had a spring loaded baffel in the block mounted vapor canister.

There were calibration differences in the float, well tube, and in European Pinto Cortina/Capri engines, they had a Jeep Wrangler style bleedback to the fuel tank.

All of this has been shown and told on previous posts linked.

One guy here had the same white smoke issues with six pages of posts; another, Falconaround...excessive richness, bad acceleration and fuel consumption from this

xctasy":2ytuo3ru said:
32_36DGAV_Emmissions.jpg

It's blocked here at the carb. Not the ABC part but the part you have the PCV hose hooked to. See....Its blocked!

search

See

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... -3-project

The poster mark hagen had the same issue.

He used an AE Wagner balanced PCV valve.

The Webers have them blanked off in all stock Ford 2-bbls. When the emisdions systems came in 1969 to 1980, Ford worldwide spent a motza on specific Vacuum Emissions Connection Instruction VECI diagrams which depict how things are arranged, but no log head six in line came with the 2bbl Weber, so you have to copy the AMC and European Ford set ups.

The under carb system as per the stock 1-bbl and 2-bbl Ford in liners is very different in detail to the 4 bbl V8 systems.

Hi Xtasy,
Thanks for sharing your expertise. So, from your posts (especially this one quoted) you suggest I should go ahead and install the triple tee with pressure control from the image you linked above, correct?

I currently have the crankcase linked via the standard PCV valve from my year to a brass tee on the manifold. If I understand you correctly, the difference will be that the PCV vacuum will be limited by the pressure sensitive tee, correct? From what I gather there is a spring and ball mechanism in the tee that controls the venting of the crankcase to intake. Correct?

This would control even further the vacuum leak that is the PCV system over a wider range of RPMs?[

No, they were just quick examples above. Don't get target fixation. What is said and read is more important than what is seen in this instance.

Here's the rundown.

An Australian 76-82 or Sweedish market 1983 Pinto 2000 engine for the Granada, Sierra Cortina, Tanuas, Capri, P-100 had the IIRC, 1973 USA emissions pacakge.

Like this

IMG_0023.jpg

It uses the US Ford Fairmont water heating tube and there is a port for two trees, a vacuum tree, or a port for vacuum (brakes / ac / heater/ etc). The Blue / green tee's are in a water port so they move vacuum from 1 port to another when the coolant heats up.

TreeforH20_1980-1983_200_250.jpg

1.twin bowl lines,
-one an inbound feed,
-one an outbound Bleed back line to the tank,

Very much like the Jeep six cylinder gas filter to the carb, but designed to drop the fuel and vapor pressure to below 3.5 psi without using a regulator. Fords Australian Falcons from 1982 to 1992 used this system too, all European Ford 2000 Pintos after 1972, and all 2300/2800 V6's with the Solex 34 or 38, the DGAS 38, the 1972-1981 Essex 3000, and 3300 and 4100 in line cross flow sixes with the Weber 34/34 ADM had it too.
2. Water heated auto choke, and waterheated intake.

The point of this picture

32_36DGAV_Emmissions.jpg

was ONLY to show you that the PCV was not, nor ever should be fitted to the bowl vapor vent.

The proper way is to have a junction into a spot below the carb (BLUE) , and an altogether different one lower for the PCV (RED).

vacuum.jpg

If not fitted, drill a hole, and insert the 1980-1983 Aluminum flutted pipe from a 3.3 B or X vin code Fox body in line six.

Just like I did on my 1981 Mustang with its 1963 200 head.

IMG_7148.jpg

The carb on the US Pinto was not a 32/36 DGAV, but a 100% US made Holley Weber version of the Italian 32/36 DFV,

Pintocarb.jpg

Choke on other side, and various linkage changes.

it is essentially a reverse image version of the European carb, with primary and secondary barrels swapped.

Use the search function and get pictures.

Any time someone discusses removing Clean Air Act stuff, they make it hard for themseives, not easy. This stuff has been around since 1962, with BIG spikes in new emissions plumbing 1969, 1973, 1975, and 1980. The huge advances in EFi has removed a large chunk of it, but any PCV device won't hurt you none...UNLESS YOU DON'T SCHOOL UP AND FIGURE OUT HOW IT WORKS.

Noe of it is a performance reduction on a car....cleaning it up will make your car run worse then leaving it on. It was compression ratio drop, cam timing, and timing gear retard that pulled performance out of cars from 1962 to 1983, and then, suddenly, Detriot got wise and decided to push the envelope again with really good control systems. Compression ratios rose, cam timing crept up, timing gears lost retard, igntion timing got means tested, and Fords EEC systems controlled and reduced the total amoutn of emissions stuff.

On a carb engine, you just gotta look at how the system can be run properly. Its different between small in lines, Big Sixes, and even V6's and V8's because of the carb type. Hardest is the Weber, because everyone loves to do Frontal Lobe Removal of any kinda darn pipe anywhere, and call it progress.

See this search.php?keywords=ME+wagner+PCV+&terms=all&author=xctasy&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Search found 11 matches: ae wagner PCV
Searched query: ME wagner pcv

ignored: ME

Enjoy the ride. What you think may be
Just aint exactly so with a small engine carb swap to a big engined Ford.

You have to have separtion between Spark, PCV, Ported and Manifold vacuum.

Back