Frankenstein's hurt hometowns.

A

Anonymous

Been cruising like a champ for days and days and then...Franky's hurt hometowns!

My first instinct and sound was that it was the rocker arms. I pull the cover and the entire valve train looks emaculate. I was on a mission and took it too far. The tach only reads up to 6 grand and it was maxed out! And when I looked at it with the pedal all the way down and the engine sounding too crazy, I finally let go wondering if I went past 6. I must have because something gave. Some friends wanted to hear it and me like a fool do it with the engine and transmission in park!....I figured the clacking noise was from the valve train, possibly lifters. So after looking at the valve train with my brothers help began to use a rubber watering hose to listen for where the noise was coming from. We listened to the lifters and no deal. We started to think that it was a piston or rod or whatever we were all thinking. But the deal is, there was no vibration whatsoever. Just a clacking noise which in the end we figured was coming from transmission/engine mating area. It almost sounded like a problem I had many moons ago on a trip I took and the flywheel gave making a similar noise to the one it has now. But the flywheel looks like supafly!

Well, I'm taking it to a shop soon because Summer is here and there is much work to be done around the crib.

Any help greatly appreciated hometowns...

CTOWN

ps We did notice the next day that as the engine warmed up to idle which takes about 2-3 minutes, the clacking noise became more quieter.

Maybe a busted piston skirt? You say it isn't the valvetrain, and quietens down with a few minutes running.

Do a compression test to eliminate the top end as a cause. Hey, what about a rev limiter? ;)

CT, you party animal. Where you been brother? We've missed you!

Sounds like gMrs 250's lifted a skirt, like addo says. Check Mustangaroos post on his sons Mustang Six. He has some neat photos.

Drop the sump, check each piston for cracks, and lift any offending item via removal of head. You need a Mag Lite or something intense, and then you can drop the rod cap and remove the head to check for damage.

If there is nothing there, check the cam bearings, and then the mains.

Don't worry, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Been around hometown! Been super buisy round the crib/work/art. And now it's time to fix that engine! That compression test is next. Then I'll go from there.

Thanks for the response hometowns. Greatly appreciated.

CT

What up compadres...been fixing up the crib going on 3 years...man, it's a disease!

Well, it was way more severe than I thought. I finally got around to it the other day cuz I felt like turning a wrench and I was moving the crank manually with the rockers/lifters off and damn, I could feel a "cla-clunk" comiing from #6. It feels like the piston rod only has one cap bolt.

Something big happened in the crank assembly. Better stop cruising Biggy Franks into town for concrete :roll:

I'm moving on up hometowns. Going with a big block 292 with the same tricks but just a torque cam. I bought a engine stand a few years ago and now I'm going to put it together with me new Milwaukee Impace Wrench. :wrench:

BTW compadre, that 6 with the blower...now that's where we needs to be!

CHEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kgairhorn.jpg
kgairhorn.jpg
kgairhorn.jpg
kgairhorn.jpg
kgairhorn.jpg
kgairhorn.jpg

Hairy X mas!

Don't sweat it Steven, Me and me hometown go back a long way homes. Mucho respect for that vato.

As for Frankie, let's hope the money I was going to use to build a 292 might have found the ax. Yesterday me and me bro started to take apart the engine. As I was Taking off the bolts that hold the flywheel to the Torque Converter to pull the engine I noticed that as I was loosening the bolts the flywheel was lifting. I thought that was odd because of the 5 huge bolts that hold it to the Crank. Well, when I took off all three the flywheel was ratling big time with bigtime movement from side to side. Hopefully that is all that is wrong and not the #6 piston or extra damage that was done. If it is just a broken flywheel, then the money I was planning on using for the 292 will be used to buy a Novi 1000 homeslice!

You folks going to jump Busch? :stick:

C T

Alright homeslicers...it was the flywheel. 3/5 bolts were loose. I can't believe it never cracked...

After almost a year of laziness, it's finally done.

Man, it felt great crusing the Frankster!

C-TOWN.

Oh no, hombre, your not from Topanga, California, where the rock lives???

The rock lives!

Since a rolling stone gathers no fungus, your 250 will be just fine.

Sup? Listen in ya'll, everything be cool so far. Been rocking like the champ Biggy Franks is.

I opted to wait on the sc cuz I was enjoyin crusing the Frankster. Not EVEN ready to lay 'em down again, lightning or not :eek:

I have some 'ol bizness I haves to take care of. Ran a 10.93 or so at Irwindale's 1/8. Only did it once. But now with the disc brakes, I'm ready to drop that # where it should be! :checks:

I'm going back soon and get a consistent # so when Bigs puts on his other running shoe, he'll show what he really got!

I'm taking a dyno number too(rear wheels). $300 bones just to find out but lets do it!

Then someday...that blown stuff man cuz Frankyz alright but he sure could use a puff :mrgreen:

I'm tuning off with this comercial from Chevytown with Johnny Boy doing his thing in a small town...

Shoot, I can't spell for frijoles!

Yo, X, thas right! Topanga, The Rock, aka "I kid you not when I tell you it's the home of the C10! See 'em cruzing all the time up and down the canyon.

Happy Halloween ya'll. :beer:

Back