Q's about 223 rings/bearings etc.

A

Anonymous

I just tore apart my 223 from my 56F100 as it hasn't been turned over in 10+ years. Number three cylinder was very tight in the bore and it turns out the wrist pin in the piston is very tight. Not seized but not free moving either. The motor is still in the truck but I have removed all pistons. Crank spins freely now that pistons are out. All other cylinders were not in bad shape. Number three was a real chore getting it out! Turns out cylinders are already 0.060 bored over and rod bearings are 0.010 undersized. My question relates to the following: I wanted to do the least amount possible to make this engine run until it can be replaced. It won't be a daily driver. Would anyone bother putting in new rings and rod bearings or just replace the engine as it's already bored over and the crank has been turned?? If new rings and bearings are worth it should I also replace main bearings??

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Kevin

I would have that piston/rod assy from No3 cylinder looked @ first off. A lot of times when wrist pins are tight like that it could be a sign of possible galling of the wristpin/ wristpin bore. But as far as a rebuild is concerned,I would re-pepper the old engine and run it!! I love the old 215/223/262 Ford sixes;they were the "bread and butter"engines till the 240/300 came along;good luck!

Back