215 Six off-idle bog

Rustynail

Hey,
My 1953 Ford 215 cubic inch six is running very well. The only complaint I have with the motor now is a bog as the engine revs off idle. My guess is that the motor is not getting enough gas right off idle. The carb and distributor have both been rebuilt and the motor runs fine, except for the bog. Any ideas? Are there any adjustments I can make to the accelerator pump, such as a different spring? Any help would be appreciated.
Rusty Nail

If you have the Holley 1904 you will have to fig. if its a stumble from too soon a shot or too late. :banghead: You can change position on throttle arm if there is another hole. If not you could bend the pump rod a little to make it react a little sooner or a little later. :unsure:

With the air cleaner off and the car running, look down the carb from the top. When you "rev" it a little off idle, you should be able to see the pump shoot a nice mist of gas into the carb ...sort of like a squirt pistol....this is the Accelerator pump doing its job. If it doesnt "shoot" or spray and only dribbles down the side, you may have a worn out accelerator pump seal or a vacuum leak in the pump that is keeping it from squirting- cant remember on this carb, but I know that sometimes on Rochesters a warped carb top can be the problem. Also, sometimes if the car has the idle adjusted out too far, it may be using up all or part of the "shot", so that when you rev it, it doesnt have much left, so maybe check that as well. Make sure to be careful when looking down the carb in case of backfires! Good luck !

Which carburetor and distributor do you have? If you have the 1904 "glassbowl" the accelerator discharge is adjustable. Loosen the screw and aim the discharge. It is also easy to have too big a main jet in the 215. When I first rebuilt mine it had the #64 main from a mid-50s 223 and you could watch the gasoline drip from the discharge. I installed the manual called for #62 and the engine was happier.

Back