Is a 223 from a 59 truck the same as a 223 from a 60 Edsel?

Lebowski

The 223 in my Edsel burns a quart of oil every 75 miles so I'm going to replace it. The only guy I could find in the Louisville area wanted $6k to rebuild it and he couldn't even start on it for 8 months so I bought a good running used 223 out of a '59 Ford pickup from a guy in PA. It has a 3 speed manual trans as does my car so I'd like to know if there will be any problems swapping them. Is the trans in the truck geared the same as the car? I see the motor mounts are different and the '59 has the element type oil filter and my car has a screw on one. Any other differences or potential problems? Also, I've never done an engine swap before so is there anyone in my area who would want to help me with the swap? (It would actually be me helping you.) I have an engine hoist that I borrowed from a neighbor and a 2 car garage to do the work in. I would post pics but I don't know how to do it on this site. Thanks....

:unsure: There are severial differences between the car engines and trucks since you also have your car engine you should be able to transfer over all the right parts. You might take a few pictures of the car engine to refer back to or make some notes. The truck trans (usually trucks have different tail housing shorter) so drive shaft lenght of car would be too short, and bell housing (side engine mounts) are much different so just use your car parts and it will bolt back together just as it was. The front motor mounts are also different use all the car mounts. The oil pan sump and oil tube pickup maybe different on the truck and so check that out carefully and change if nessisary, the front timing cover might also need to be change check that it matches to your car one. Good luck :nod:

Thanks for the tips. I wrote them down and will pass them along to the guy who is going to help me when (if?) I find someone....

Don't throw out anything from the car until the swap is completely finished! I agree 100% with the items Bubba mentioned but there may be additional small items that will make the swap a bigger deal than it has to be unless you can just swap the correct parts off your old engine.

Lou Manglass

I am the one helping with the engine swap and I found out there there is a second bypass hole in the block for the car water pump that the truck pump did not cover and how it did not leak is a mystery,it turns out the motor from the 59 truck has a C1 casting number so its a 61 and newer motor so what I need to know is there a different block for the trucks that did not have that hole or would it have been plugged for use in the truck. The other hole is less then 1/4 inch and on the drivers side of the block.

I would need to see a picture of the two blocks showing that same area to be able to answer your question accurately. But on the 223's I don't think there were two different blocks made one just for car and another for the trucks, mostly differences are in the accessories, other bolt on parts, and their mountings.

A Short history on the family of these Ford six'es: The 215 cu. in. was the first OHV six (built only two years) and was used in 1952-53 Ford's in both the cars and trucks and 1952-53 Mercury's too. The 223 was used the longest also in both Ford and Mercury cars and the Ford pickups built from 1954 to 1964 also in 1965 in some aftermarket and industrial use. The last engine in this same family is the 262 Ford six it was a truck only engine built from 1961 to 1964 also some of them were made for use in 1965 again in industrial and aftermarket uses. But the only way to know 100% if an engine is a truck or car block is by its Casting / Design numbers this IDs the original use that each block or part was designed for.

As you already know the C1 decodes as the decade and year or 1961, the next two letters will I'd the Enginering Department that Ford cast and made the part for, and followed by number ID for the part itself. Plus the remaining letters and numbers will tell if there was a running Design change or more then one made to the later engine blocks. To better help you what are the compleate engine Block Casting / Design numbers of the two engines? Some pictures would be very helpful too. Good luck :nod:

Edited you can add pictures by using the image tab just above were you type or edit your posts or you can add pictures using a free photo hosing site all the info on this is in the below link.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48863

Back