Turbo'd 250 with milled off intake

fast64ranchero

OK guys it's been a while, just an update, my CP pistons came in Friday (they look good) and just got word from the head porter my head is done! so I now have most of my parts, so I now need to order a cam, and lower end bearings, I'll get some pictures coming and post flow numbers from the head when I get it back, man this has taken a long time! :D

OK I got my head back today, the combustion chamber is totally different from what a factory chamber looks like, the porter worked hard to make it have a good quench and swirl, I even have flow numbers, not all that great, but I will tell you it flows better then any STOCK 289/302 head including the famous HP 289 head! I'm going to try and get pictures of my crank rods and pistons tomorrow at the mechine shop, and scan the flow sheet from the head, stay tuned for pics, now I can order a cam :eek:

fast64ranchero":3ri2e667 said:
I even have flow numbers, not all that great, but I will tell you it flows better then any STOCK 289/302 head including the famous HP 289 head!

Was that head flowed on a 3.68" bore??????????

A 289 has a 4" bore, that makes about DOUBLE the flow potential.

If that head was placed over a 3.68" ID cylinder and then flowed better than a 289 head I would be REALLY surprised and impressed. If it was flowed over a 4" bore then i could see it easily. If it was flowed over no cylinder at all I wouldn't put too much faith in the flow numbers.

The head was flowed over a 4" cylinder, as would be expected, I would not expect them to pay the cost of ordering or having a 3.72 bore made as my bore is now 3.72, the flow numbers would be increased with the bigger cylinder, and I did say that they are not that great max intake 167 max exh. 128 the head flow starts to level off at about .55 lift but never falls off, it had really good low lift numbers, @ 28" does anyone know what a stock log head and a stock auzzie head flows? as for HP numbers I would be happy with 350 at the crank, but I'm hoping I can get 350 to the wheels, and as for my earlier statement about flowing better then any stock 289 or 302 I forgot about the Boss 302 that head flows about 290 in take and high 190's exh. don't worrie Linc you'll still have the fastest 6 powered stang, as this id going into a Fairmont (and an ugly one at that) If it runs real hard I might put it into my 64 Ranchero here a link if you want to look at it http://www.tffn.net/mags/july/walth.html

fast64ranchero":3ebk85xw said:
The head was flowed over a 4" cylinder,....max intake 167 max exh. 128 the head flow starts to level off at about .55 lift

Nothing wrong with those numbers!!

fast64ranchero":3ebk85xw said:
as for HP numbers I would be happy with 350 at the crank, but I'm hoping I can get 350 to the wheels,

Do you mean WITH boost or no? (I can assume boosted)

It shouldn't be a problem but you will have to work for it. I think I was only about 300 FWHP or so.

there's no way it could make those numbers N/A maybe 200hp or so, (everything is being chosen for a boosted app.) those numbers I'm hoping for are with boost,
Link question for you, you said you have ran your car with 26 psi boost, any head gasket problems at that level? and where are you ref. your boost number from, is it a true intake boost number or are you ref. from the top of the carb? just wondering how much boost four head studs can take without having gasket problems, I don't think I'll have any det. problems as my fuel and ing. systems are handled already Monday I plan on bringing my dig. cam to the shop to take pics, and also talk to some cam companies about grinding a cam

I had two guages, one in the bonnet (3") and smaller 2" vac/boost reading from the manifold. They were always within a few psi of each other, so figure 24 at a worst case scenario when reading 26 at the hat.

Never had any head gasket problems with stock "steel shim" and stock bolts. Blew the crap out of a bunch of ring lands when I detonated bad but never hurt the gasket.

I switched to ARP studs and a composition gasket when I swapped pistons and it still held just fine. Watch the farthest forward pass side stud, it will hit the water pump impeller (on a 200) if you thread it down all the way.

DSCN0899.jpg
[/img]
DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

well there's some pictures, the dish in the piston seems big and deep but that's what I needed for 8 to 1 comp. the rods are overkill but needed those to get the stroke, the crank ended up at 4.125 stroke, the pistons are 3.718 if I remember right, ordering the cam will have to wait till Wed. as all the cam comp. are closed today, I do have a pic of the crank but it just looks like a clean reground crank, and by the way everyone have a great 4th and remember why we have that holiday, 230 years tomorrow

Tell your Machinist he does pretty work. It would have been nice if you could have gotten a D shaped dish in those pistons.

Looks nice. 8)

fast64ranchero,

Looks nice! Can't wait to see engine up and running. I bought CP pistons just like yours with a shallower dish and shorter compression distance for my new 200 turbo. Just to ease your mind about the D-dish - some builders think that too much quench-squish on a turbocharged engine creates too much turbulence under boost. On my old turbo engine I ran .140 deck height. Power was unbelieveable. Upon tear down, 4 cylinders, piston rings looked perfect. Two were scuffed. So the excessive deck height could not have anything to do with it as they were all the same. I've also heard that on some heads the exact cylinder size used for flow testing can increase flow because of the way the ports direct the air flow. Just something to think about...

fast64ranchero":2taq2vk6 said:
the crank ended up at 4.125 stroke, the pistons are 3.718 if I remember right,

269 cubes!! That thing's gonna torque!

Thanks for the info, the only part that I'm worried about on this engine is the Rod ratio, it's tight/short but I went on Manley and CP's advise and made more stroke, personely I think if I did it again I would use a longer rod and keep the rod ratio up, motors last longer, and in my opinion make more power but we'll see, I also bought the turbo Turbonitics req. which I also think is going to be to small, so that might be for sale at a good price if anyone is interested, anyone in here broke a stock crank? just wondering how much HP that will take, ya never know I might even throw some N2O at it.. Have a great 4th!!!!!

Drag-Stang200 what kind of times/mph does your Turbo 200 run? weight of car? just wondering, I am doing this whole thing just because I think it would be really neat to have a street everyday driver that I hope can run in the 11's one more thing, what turbo size would you req for my app. Thanks Walt

fast64ranchero":8bo0gp68 said:
I also bought the turbo Turbonitics req. which I also think is going to be to small, so that might be for sale at a good price if anyone is interested,

What does that mean? :unsure::

fast64ranchero":8bo0gp68 said:
Drag-Stang200 what kind of times/mph does your Turbo 200 run?

450 hp/best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139

9.85 @139 all I can say is wow, and that is from a Ford 200 inch six?!?!
Link it is the same Turbo as yours is except a Super S wheel, what head does Drag-Stang have?

Back