Twincharge?

bookworm007

so my friend told me about this race car set up he saw with a super charger and a turbo. So i researched this a little i guess they call it twincharging. the idea is that with a super charger and a turbo u would have more power through more RPMS. Has anyone heard about this tried it maybe??? I'm attempting to find out how exactly u would size the turbo and supercharger. Also do you guys thing a small or big six would benfit more from a set up like this? Thanks

I think that a properly sized turbo will make as much peak power, 90% of low-end power, and be a simple enough system that you could do it at home. Unlike a twincharging system.

There's a reason that nobody outside of a couple people on the show car scene have done this. Twice the complication and weight, less reliability, more work for marginal improvements.

Probably not. It could be fun for a show car or something, but I couldn't see it for everyday use. Or even used for occasional cruising. Too much to go wrong.

8) this concept has been experimented with over the years. the idea is to use the roots type blower to build low rpm torque, and the turbo to build high rpm power. and while a properly engineered system does work as advertised, it is quite complex and not worth the effort except perhaps on high end race engines. another idea that has found use on race engines, and now some street engines, is the compound turbo system where one turbo feeds a second to really build boost pressure quickly.

Or the twin turbo system Mazda used on the 3rd generation RX-7. Very complicated, used a smaller turbo in the lower rpm range than switched over to a larger turbo at higher rpms. Very complicated system, and most guys would toss it in favor of a single turbo to build more power.

Bach before the NHRA outlawed innovation in Top Fuel, there was a fueler(Called the Golden Dragon IIRC) which used twin turbos plus a Roots blower. The idea was for it to come off the line with the Roots and when the turbos built boost, the Roots would de-couple to eliminate the HP draw. It was blindingly quick when everything went right and a stone when everything didn't, which was most of the time. Just too complex.

69Falcon":xttkm98p said:
Or the twin turbo system Mazda used on the 3rd generation RX-7. Very complicated, used a smaller turbo in the lower rpm range than switched over to a larger turbo at higher rpms. Very complicated system, and most guys would toss it in favor of a single turbo to build more power.

Yep, those cars came right before the ability to make really efficient compressor and turbine wheels came along.

The most common use of staged compressors is in the tractor pullers.
You can see some wild setups that work well. However, I have always liked simplicity. I have seen what can be done with one properly sized turbo. It is obvious that you can exceed the structural limitations of the stock blocks with one turbo.

If you want to explore the possibilities I would enjoy reading the results. For me, it would be like killing flies with a shotgun. :LOL: Very effective, but not very usable in most circumstances. Like when the fly lands on someone. :LOL:

Lancia had a supercharger / turbo combo in the 1980s. Think was called the Delta S4, was one of the Group B Rally cars.

Fast as stink, IIRC but a pure race car.

VW also has this on Euro-only Golfs and Passats - Volkswagen 1.4 TSI. Looks interesting - something like 170hp on 1.4L.

This also is used in some of the larger 2-stroke diesel locomotive engines, but that may be only to drive the belt drive of a turbocharger at low speeds. Don't know much about that, though.

StrangeRanger":2mnf4no1 said:
Bach before the NHRA outlawed innovation in Top Fuel, there was a fueler(Called the Golden Dragon IIRC) which used twin turbos plus a Roots blower. The idea was for it to come off the line with the Roots and when the turbos built boost, the Roots would de-couple to eliminate the HP draw. It was blindingly quick when everything went right and a stone when everything didn't, which was most of the time. Just too complex.

I worked with the guy that had that car. his name is Chase Knight and the cars name was the golden gator. He was a product manager at crane when I worked there. Chase is a real real smart guy.

Back