Turbo 200 Oiling System Custom vs Stock

one70six

Hey guys I'm building a turbo 200 slowly but surely and was wondering about the oiling system. Is the stock oil pan and a Melling pump adequate for this type of build or would a custom pan setup be worth the money? I know that more oil is cooler oil and that I will have to run an oil return line to the stock pan from the turbo, meaning I will have to mod the stock setup anyway. Just wondering if any of you have an opinion on this or maybe some trial and error in this area? Thanks!

I just drilled a hole thru the pan with a hole saw and brazed in a 1 inch pipe fitting. I didn't even take the pan off just loaded the hole saw with magnets. For the oil pump I teed into the oil pressure sending unit works fine. I been running 15-20psi on stock engine, and now with CAM and bigger valves. Just ran a new mustang with the 4.0 v6 and some bolt-ons and beat him 3 times with my full weight truck. :beer:

I did almost the exact same as JonL on my 300. After I hole sawed the pan I ran a magnet around inside until it came back clean. I welded a 1" pipe fitting in the hole rather than brazing. I've been thinking of adding an oil cooler to my setup because if I run boost long enough when things are all warmed up I can see a drop in oil pressure. I've only run 8-11 psi on my stock engine so far. My truck has been on hold due to work lately though.

Oil coolers!

i use a big B&M flat fin type cooler. it came off my dodge cummins, i used it for the transmission on that truck its something like 12 x 10 inches.
i believe that you can never get the oil too cool in a 300 that is in a truck. just the way oil is routed and takes so long to get back to the pan means there is too much heat build up.
i used a Ford 460 oil filter mount with oil cooler lines and fittings.
if you go this way make sure you get the threaded adapter that will stay in the donor block of the 460 when you unbolt the filter housing, you will need it for the conversion, otherwise everything just bolts up.
it works slick, takes the load off of the coolant system and i never have oil heat issues. i can also clock my filter so it stays full of oil for the next start up. it is no longer horizontal but at the 5 o'clock position now and no mess on changing.

For a conservative build, you could almost certainly get away with an oil:water sandwich plate, like Ford used on the 2.3l turbos. These types of coolers don't boost capacity (much), but are pretty efficient for oil temps anywhere near normal. Pretty sure they will thread right onto a 200 as Ford used the same filters for many, many years.

Back