XF Injector Rail Mods

A

Anonymous

Hello All,
I've been seriously thinking about going with a fuel injected set-up on my motor. I'm needing a couple things straightened out in my head. First off,
I've been wondering what's involved in hooking up a Ford computer. The car is a '71 Comet and currently has no electronics on it. I am running a carburated x-flow 250. So how hard is it to hook up a computer?

Originally I was just going to wait and try injecting a 2V I'm building, but I'm liking the x-flow more and more as I drive it and the injected goodies are readily available on e-bay all the time.

Something else I've been wondering about...Has anyone used the small manifold and fuel rail, minus the throttle body and runners, and doing the motorcycle throttle body mod to it?

Would the Ford computer work on this? I know a real engine management system would work better, but I am thinking economy mod$ here.

I was reading some where on the web about some of the Neon boys doing a similiar mod. They were useing the stock computer and throttle bodies from 98 and 99 Suzuki GSXR 750's.

OK, reality is setting back in. I'll probably keep considering the stock set-up for my fuel injection. I just love it when you guys go off on your "Hack Of The Day" threads.

Individual throttle body mods are so cool to me. The ones I've read about and seen look so good and apparently they are making good horsepower. The real bottle neck being a fuel and ignition management system to run them. Any thoughts on eonomy methods and pieces?

PS. On a different note. Here's a couple pics of my car. I just finished my first attempt at a paint job. The car is still being put together but it's coming along.
Dave

http://mmb.maverick.to/attachment.php?a ... 1175882528

http://mmb.maverick.to/attachment.php?a ... 1175882528

I have a few crossflow/injected XF and an EA engines/trans complete with the computers if you wanted to go the whole hog swap.. I am still visiting in Oz, but will be back home in SoCal in a couple weeks (the engines are there) if you had any questions or wanted any info on them them.

Oh man! Your just the guy I am looking for. Definately interested in the injected swap goodies. A couple other parts I am interested in would be the bell housing to fit a manual transmission to a crossflow, possibly a transmission. I also have considered using a 4 barrel inlet. The problem I have with the inlet is that it's about a half inch too wide and hits my shock tower. The one I have is a redline. I'm thinking that the one made by Cain is a lilttle bit narrower so looking for a cain intake to measure the depth. I would like to get this measurement prior to making the purchase. Short of a shock tower mod and or a BFH. I would like to get a similar measurement for the EFI set-up as well. Let me know when your back in town and we can talk. Shoot me an e-mail and I can give you my #. Thanks...
David Spann
davidspann@tx.rr.com

Cain manifolds are pretty hard to find now. John Cain is still alive, I think, but he's long retired. Ultraflow manifolds come up on occasion, but they're possibly more suited to speedway use.

If Jeff can't get a bell, try Evan from this forum. I sent him several - a toploader hydro, Aussie single rail cable, T-5 cable and Aussie three speed hydro.

Don't forget to order your lower cover and blockplate (sandwich plate) from Jeff if you need them... Also the AU series Falcon mini starters are apparently a bolt-in (not personally verified, but good source) and quite cheap.

I could have got a bunch of bellhousings here and sent them in the container I just sent a couple weeks ago, but since I have not had much interest in the engines, I truthfully did not bother trying to bring any more bits over for them. I can always send a bunch of them over in the next container around of course. I got some 265's coming again though,lol..

AU mini starters are a definite bolt-in.

If you check the Bosch catalog they only list one starter now for all 6cyl falcons from XM-AUIII. only about $130 new aswell

Those small body starters are awesome. I stuck one on the Transit and it has heaps more grunt, started the motor much better.

Hello!

Having 'been there, done that' with EFI on my crossflow, I will put in my 2 cents worth.. DON'T do ITB's unless you change the ecu. Try a megasquirt, they work well and are cheap if you diy. EFI is well worth the hassle!

If you need more help pm me, etc.

Kendall.

I see the ECU's come up on ebay all the time. I just don't know how to wire it on a non-ECU car. Is the Mega-squirt a fuel/ignition management system? What do those cost? Is there a way to make these systems mechanical? Seems I recall an old Mercedes with a mechanical fuel injection system. I've also seen the Holley Pro-jection. Anyone have any luck with those?

The megasquirt system is a fully diy job - you wire it yourself, tune it yourself, etc. DON'T touch holley projection- it is NBG. I reckon you should be able to do a megasquirt system for fuel and spark for under $1000 if you use junkyard parts and whatever! You can even go to triple ignition coils if you want - I am on my crossflow soon. Would anyone like to see pictures when I do? Have fun, that is the main thing.

Kendall.

I'm back in California now (after nearly 3 months in Oz!) if you still had any questions,etc on the crossflows I have around 8)

Back