Make a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
If you would like to contribute via check, cash, etc, please PM 1966Mustang

Problem with the USMW water pump

Moderator: Mod Squad

1971_F250

Problem with the USMW water pump

Post #1 by 1971_F250 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:22 am

Hi all,

I replaced the water pump with a new USMW water pump on my 1971 F250 w/ 240ci canadian. I had to enlarge the water pump pulley for it to fit on the water pump (is it usual??) and the belt just doesn't seem right!?!?
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford Pickups work like a truck, drives like a car :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ford, Gives you better ideas :cool: :cool:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Problem with the USMW water pump

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 am

:hmmm: I don't think that's normal, haven't ever had to enlarge a pulley hole to fit. Yes you need to fix that pulley alignment with that much misalignment the pulley wobble will knock out the water pumps front bearing quickly. Did you make the center hole big enough so that it will side onto the pumps shaft easily? Does the water pumps front flange look like its pressed on straight? i.e. 90 degrees to front of engine. If pumps flange is straight then it looks like it wasn't pressed on far enough so that pulleys will line up correctly compare its height to your old water pump, then maybe you should have them get you another pump that correctly built. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

1971_F250

Post #3 by 1971_F250 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

bubba22349 wrote::hmmm: I don't think that's normal, haven't ever had to enlarge a pulley hole to fit. Yes you need to fix that pulley alignment with that much misalignment the pulley wobble will knock out the water pumps front bearing quickly. Did you make the center hole big enough so that it will side onto the pumps shaft easily? Does the water pumps front flange look like its pressed on straight? i.e. 90 degrees to front of engine. If pumps flange is straight then it looks like it wasn't pressed on far enough so that pulleys will line up correctly compare its height to your old water pump, then maybe you should have them get you another pump that correctly built. Good luck :nod:

Yes i enlarged the pulley big enough to fit it all the way in. I even double checked to make sure it's all the way home (i knew that something wasn't right :x :x ). This is the pump i bought and it says on ebay that it's going to fit the 240ci of the F and D series. Can you still get a new pulley and the fan spacer(the alloy bit that goes between the fan and the pulley) if i ever need to get a new pump? Image
Ford Pickups work like a truck, drives like a car :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ford, Gives you better ideas :cool: :cool:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 pm

1971_F250 wrote:
bubba22349 wrote::hmmm: I don't think that's normal, haven't ever had to enlarge a pulley hole to fit. Yes you need to fix that pulley alignment with that much misalignment the pulley wobble will knock out the water pumps front bearing quickly. Did you make the center hole big enough so that it will side onto the pumps shaft easily? Does the water pumps front flange look like its pressed on straight? i.e. 90 degrees to front of engine. If pumps flange is straight then it looks like it wasn't pressed on far enough so that pulleys will line up correctly compare its height to your old water pump, then maybe you should have them get you another pump that correctly built. Good luck :nod:

Yes i enlarged the pulley big enough to fit it all the way in. I even double checked to make sure it's all the way home (i knew that something wasn't right :x :x ). This is the pump i bought and it says on ebay that it's going to fit the 240ci of the F and D series. Can you still get a new pulley and the fan spacer(the alloy bit that goes between the fan and the pulley) if i ever need to get a new pump? Image

I haven't seen that brand before but the years that its suppose to fit maybe the right ones. The last water pumps I have been using are the GMB brand seam to be very good quality for their price. There are about 4 different water pumps used on these engines throughout all the years they were made. 1st version is for the years 1965 to 1977 it fits all 240 car and truck engines and also the 300 truck engine too. Second version is 1978 to 1982 or might even be up to 86 but both these first two water pumps would use a V belt pulley drive. Later two water pumps are serpentine belt drives (reverse rotation) water pumps.

:hmmm: I am wondering if that pump was just assembled wrong or if it's the wrong year for your engine combo? You could take it apart, then you can have the pulley flange pressed back on the shaft enough so the belt is lined up straight. Did you happen to check the engine block numbers (Design / Casting Code & Date Code) to see it's year of manufacture?

I doubt that you can buy a new ford factory pulley, the except is if you are able to find a NOS (new old stock) pulley somewhere. There are new aftermarket fan spacers made though. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.