Aluminum Head Update 5/22/06 (pics)

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
This is the first proto type casting. They will machine it this week, then box it up and send to me in just in time for the Inliners Convention. Since we don't have time to fully machine (and still get it here in time), this one is for visual purposes only. :cry:

They need to make a couple small changes before casting more. However, the next castings will be fully machined and assembled for flow testing and dyno runs. Once were sure were happy with it, we'll start the production runs. ;)

I've had a lot of guys e-mail and ask me if this was for real. I guess they are to use to being told "we are working on it", only to see nothing materialize. Well here's proof its for real.

It may not look much different than a cast head, but the ports are completely redesigned and flow considerably better. However, I don't want to release the numbers until we actually flow test the real mccoy.

If you look closely, you will notice it's taller than a cast head. This required us to order custom valves with longer stems, however SI is producing a PortFlow series valve to suit our needs. Corteco has also agreed to produce a high performance gasket suited specifically to the new head. Existing headers will work fine in most cases, but we are looking into custom headers with larger diameter primaries for engines built with more HP in mind. We will publish the exact specs and recomendations once we dyno the heads.

Holy Cow!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats gonna look nice under the hood of my car with a 4 Bbl on it 8) 8) 8)

Looking forward to the Falcon nationals so I can see it in person!!

Later,

Doug

Looking very Good! I may have to upgrade from my Aussie 2v? Do you take trade-in Aussie 2v's? :shock: Really great job, keep the products coming!

Mike, looks great so far.

Any idea what cc's combustion size yet??

I'm sure you are anxious to get this head on an engine & dyno test, with different cams & intake combinations.

More power to you, Bill

Do you think you could explain the different things that will have to be used with the aluminum head compared to a cast iron head? Things such as torque to yield bolts, valve spring cups so the springs don't dig into the head, etc. I just thought it might be a good idea to let people know what needs to be done differently when building an aluminum head compared to a cast iron head.

Damn, looks great mike.

any idea on how much one of these heads will set one back

wes

We haven't set the price yet, but plan to do so in the next month or so.

Here's a pic of the exhaust core boxes. It's difficult to tell the differences in the ports, unless you know what you are looking for. But they flow approximately 30-40 percent better than a cast log/oz head. Intakes should flow 200+ CFM, and then some. The best we could get from an Oz head, fully ported, was 192 CFM, but we sacrificed port velocity. The big differences in the aluminum head are in the fuel distribution, quench, and velocity. We still don't know the optimum valve size, but flow testing will help there.

When were ready, we will post flow comparisons between a log, oz, and FSP head. We want to flow test a head to verify the numbers, before posting, but I'm sure you will be quite please once you see the difference. I can't wait to dyno one with an M90 blower setup. It will surely be a show stopper, not to mention the performance gains. :shock:

Looks like the short side radius has been increased, for more efficient exhausting. I'd be surprised if an exhaust valve over 1.5 did much for it. Ports at the flange are all about 1¼" square-ish, by the appearance of it.

The protrusions for head bolts in #2 and #5 - what of the risk of creating hot spots in the head casting?

I'll go first. Combined with the other appropriate goodies (carb, ignition, exhaust, cam), I believe 300+hp is my number of choice.

i beleive with the right intake(ie. the M90 blower intake) with the right cam arb and igntion we could very easily reach 400hp and still have it relatively streetable(for som people maybe not so but for me i think it would be perfect)

Back