EFI possibilities

shmoozo

Famous Member
For folks who have really tight clearance problems, don't despair. If you are willing to run an individual runner style EFI system there's a company that makes some really short throttle bodies that should mount to the triple side draft Weber intakes. I'll post some useful links below.

Here's a few images:

TS_m.jpg

That critter is just 30mm long (!!!), which is less than 1.25 inches.

============

TH_m.jpg

This one is 91mm long, which I'm pretty sure is still a bit shorter than a regular DCOE carb. It might be just the ticket for guys who need just a little more clearance.

============

TBcB_m.jpg

TBcR_m.jpg

These two which are finished in "crackle black" and red are 118mm long, which I think is the same as a regular DCOE carb.

============

A link to the web page which lists their throttle bodies:

JENVEY FUEL INJECTION THROTTLE BODIES

And a link to their home page:

Jenvey Dynamics Ltd

Yeah, they are in England, but you might be able to get them to ship to the United States, and if they won't maybe somebody else could make arrangements to have products like these sold here.

These aren't especially cheap, of course, but I don't think they are much more costly than other similar products, and the shorter lengths allow them to be used in places you couldn't use some other kinds of throttle body injection units.

They make them in a variety of bore sizes from about 40mm up to about 50mm

Just a thought.

shmoozo":128vhfry said:
[Yeah, they are in England, but you might be able to get them to ship to the United States, and if they won't maybe somebody else could make arrangements to have products like these sold here.

Classic Inlines has already set up an account with them and will be selling the TBIs on our website, once the intake manifolds are ready. We've already did a test fit on the new aluminum heads, and Will is using them the ICE motor.
AH027w_jpg.jpg

We will also be stocking Extrudabody TBIs.
ExtrudTBI.jpg

Mike,

How much do you reckon an Extrudabody setup similar to what was shown would be selling for?

Price for the complete set up as pictured above, will be between $1400-1600. The same set up using Jenvey TBI's will be $1300-1500. I'm not sure as we are still working on the price structure with both companies. Much depends on the quantities purchased and at what level of buy-in I agree to.

I really like the looks of the Extrudabody's and that you can add extensions to tune the system length, as they can be add before or after the butterflies.
Extensions_md_thumb.jpg

However the 30MM Jenveys are great when clearance is a main concern. Both companies make a plenum, but only the one from Extrudabody can be boosted. Jenvey's is ABS, I think?

We're working on the intakes new, and I hope to have the prototype in a week or two. As soon as we get the intake, I'll order a setup and do a mock up on one of my motors. I may put them on my black 66 coupe, and have the TBIs powder coated in black, to match a valve cover, then go with a polished intake. Hence the color scheme would be black, red anodized, and polished/chrome. I think it would look awesome.

extrudabody1.jpg

extrudabody2.jpg

350kmileford":bee9nimt said:
Mabe a stupid question, but with an intake box setup such as that, would the throttle body furthest from the intake opening get as much air as the other cylinders(which are closer to the air source)?

I don't think it would in a boosted application. Now, while you are not into boost it could, but its affects would be minimal/unnoticeable.

Kirk
ps. Mike that last pic is the cat's meow. What I have been looking for all my inline six owned life...blow-thru side-drafts!

350kmileford":1lm4b8ma said:
Mabe a stupid question, but with an intake box setup such as that, would the throttle body furthest from the intake opening get as much air as the other cylinders(which are closer to the air source)?

you might notice it @ 8,000 rpm. :LOL:

that is a beautiful piece of work 8)

Thanks for the answers.

I also noticed that the injectors are in the head. If one were to have them mounted in the throttle bodies, I imagine it would be less efficient? How much less efficient would it be? I am asking cause it seems like you went out of your way to put them directly in the head.

To Classic Inlines:

Have you thought of a single throttle body setup such as in some modern inline sixes? I was thinking something like Nissans RB26 for example.

rb26complete.jpg

I would think it would be a more cost friendly alternative. I plan on someday getting your aluminum head and if nothing is out like this, I'll fab one up. It would be a cool idea if you just made the actual intake manifold and fuel rail then leave the throttle body selection up to the buyer since depending on their applications/needs the could use stock TB's from some car for dirt cheap.

Just a little something I've been playing around with.

On injector location -

Mitsubishi has moved there injector location about 2" away from the head on there newer engines. The new location adds power and MPG.

Mike, I plan on using your setup when it's available. It would be great for the 2009 season.

Thanks again for all your effort and vision, Ric.

to stagen:
It seems like you could use the extrudabody extenders without the throttle bodies, bolted to the weber-style intake manifold and with the plenum shown. Then weld a flange for the throttle body of your choice to that plenum. Mount the injectors directly in the head using the provided bosses. That way you'd have the single TB injection using off-the-shelf parts.

At least that would be good for the fabrication-challenged among us (like myself). An several hundred cheaper than having to buy six extrudabody units or three jenvey, and a much simpler throttle linkage.

We are having a pattern made (casting), similar to that one, which will use a single throttle body. Extrudabody will be setting up the cylinder heads (injectors and fuel rails), so we can supply a complete kit, with or without the TB. We'll also offer a multiple TB kit. Or we can do them like this?
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... 1217868223

Lots of possibilities. Hope to have them done by Christmas, but it depends on available funds. To many projects, not enough cash.

That GM setup looks mighty practical. I got one on ebay for $35 delivered with 1-3/4" butterflies. That flows a lot of air. That was s complete unit with injectors. Come to think of it, the full TBI might be an interesting setup for a turbo car: injectors in the head or manifold runners, and a couple more in the tbi for when you are runiing nitrous at full boost. :eek: :eek: :eek:

stagen":kxwq4481 said:
To Classic Inlines:

Have you thought of a single throttle body setup such as in some modern inline sixes? I was thinking something like Nissans RB26 for example.

rb26complete.jpg

I would think it would be a more cost friendly alternative. I plan on someday getting your aluminum head and if nothing is out like this, I'll fab one up. It would be a cool idea if you just made the actual intake manifold and fuel rail then leave the throttle body selection up to the buyer since depending on their applications/needs the could use stock TB's from some car for dirt cheap.

Just a little something I've been playing around with.

That is a beautiful nissan, a mono tb is easy to tune no sync to worry about, And by the way nothing is cheap. :!:

Back