Check this out.....

Some bad news friends, I spun #6 rod bearing and took out the crank, the good news is I have always had a rattle til oil pressure picks up upon starting and it has concerned me, now I know what that was, more good news is I am blessed to take care of this easily and it was not that big of a surprise since we had major issues at start up of this engines with getting it to run correctly at break in, I was just about to do an article on this build and this had to happen, oh well, I have it almost out, it will just return stronger and better, my good friend and machinest who will take care of the crank for me had hip surgery and it may be a few days before I talk to him about finding a crank and having the rotating assembly balanced again, its just an engine, all is well.

Small update, had a conference call with crank guy and my machinest and we all decided to put an extra .001 thousands of clearance on the crank, clifford is sendind me a new super treated rod at no cost for # 6, also we found the wrist pins somewhat tight on the pistons, so I have ordered new pistons and rings, pro plasma from MIKE, we are going to drill an oiling hole in the piston wrist pin area and we are also going to put a very slight cross hatch in the wrist pin bore on the piston for lubrication, the reason for new pistons is I don't want any defection from pressing out the wrist pin on the piston, they will most likely be fine, but I chose to go new, also I forgot the terminology, but the guy grinding the crank is going to use a method that makes the crank stronger in the way its ground or machined if you will, I am having a learning curve here and I like it, I am also going back with the original valve cover off the 170, mostly because I believe you will always have a little extra blowby when you are boosted no matter how hard you try with intellect or dollars to seal it up and the original cover has baffles over the PVC and Breather and I thought I was always getting a little more oil back to the intake side than I liked, though it never was a problem, might have even been good for the blower a slight bit of oil always going through it. Even with these issues, I still love my M90, its always singing to me.

She's back, she's hot and she's ah running great, fired her up today and drove around some, didn't have to put a wrench on her except the distributor for timing, now all I have to do is get you folks some picks and info as promised.

Back