What's this from??

It is mine! :eek:
Is that bolt pattern the same as a holley? Kinda looks like it. I have a mod-log head setup for weber, so I'm hoping I can find an off-the-shelf adapter for this. Already going to be a heap of work running new fuel lines and building an MS. I'll probably buy the relay board, too. So if I can avoid any fabrication beyond that (e.g. making an adapter plate), that would be cool.

A note on CFI and Megasquirt

Note, there are a few Fords from this era have some components that are a bit tricky. Some of the mid-'80s engines outfitted with CFI (central fuel injection) use a DC servo idle air control valve that does not work with Megasquirt. If you find one of these, you can simply adjust the idle speed screw to keep the car from stalling in cold weather and run without idle control.
http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... dapter.htm

And some general data
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ction.html

And some technical papers but it looks like you have to order them.
http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/790742

Thanks, good data there. It's funny that I can't find any more of these things on Ebay even though it appears that they where used on a variety of models, but there are tons of GM TBI units. What gives?

I seem to remember the CFI not being very popular.

The Ford CFI flows about 350cfm while a stock GM TBI flows about 480cfm and modified ones flow about 570cfm.

Ford only used CFI on some models for like 2-3 years and then went multiport. The first GM TBI was 1980 the last was 1995. That also included every GM truck and suv from 1987-1995 so thats why you still see a lot of them around.

Well, I have two of them on the way now. The mystery one and one from a 3.8 mustang. I think the close spacing of the barrels will make for an easier conversion from WEber than with the GM unit. I have one of those, too, and the barrels are so far apart that I'd need to make a funnel adapter even for my mod-log head. I also have a tempo unit, but I think the single injector will be taxed at full power, plus the single barrel limits CFM. The true reason for considering CFI, though, is that it seems like 2 smaller injectors will give me more tuning flexibility than one big one.

More injectors does give you more flexibility. Its usually idle that is the problem. Big injectors cant open and close fast enough to get the little fuel that is needed at idle.

falcon fanatic":32vcty0f said:
Well, I have two of them on the way now. The mystery one and one from a 3.8 mustang. I think the close spacing of the barrels will make for an easier conversion from WEber than with the GM unit. I have one of those, too, and the barrels are so far apart that I'd need to make a funnel adapter even for my mod-log head. I also have a tempo unit, but I think the single injector will be taxed at full power, plus the single barrel limits CFM. The true reason for considering CFI, though, is that it seems like 2 smaller injectors will give me more tuning flexibility than one big one.

Would you be willing to sell the Tempo unit?

So I received my first CFI unit and it looks like a winner. The holes are close together enough that I can set it on a Weber adapter and open them fully with no interference. Also, they are 39mm, so just a hair bigger than my 38/38 and without venturis capable of more airflow than said carb. Thus, it looks like I've found an excellent TBI upgrade for those individuals setup for weber carbs. No more stalling on hard turns! Yay! Plus, no more 14mpg... :roll:

falcon fanatic":3ju47r0r said:
So I received my first CFI unit and it looks like a winner. The holes are close together enough that I can set it on a Weber adapter and open them fully with no interference. Also, they are 39mm, so just a hair bigger than my 38/38 and without venturis capable of more airflow than said carb. Thus, it looks like I've found an excellent TBI upgrade for those individuals setup for weber carbs. No more stalling on hard turns! Yay! Plus, no more 14mpg... :roll:

Cool!

Let us know how the swap turns out, okay? And be sure to take a lot of pictures.

:)

Don't hold your breath! I'm about to blow major funds on a cam swap, so it'll take me a while to collect all the bits necessary to complete the FI conversion. Still, pictures and comments will follow.

I had my MS2 built and tested sitting on the coffee table for almost a year before I even got around to putting it in a car. I was getting it running fairly well when the new oil pump sized in the motor and I have not had time to fix it.

I thought it was the same because the whole point was for more precise fuel and air control so it could mount on the stock 5.0L 2bbl manifold and use stock aircleaner.

Back