MAP / MAS Sensors

Bayrunner

Using an EFI setup, Do I need both of these sensors for the msii? Do they not perform the same duty? Help.

thanks in advance

Almost all electric fuel control systems use a MAP sensor. Its pretty much a manifold vacuum pressure gauge. Its primary use is to judge the load on the engine and to take an initial barometer reading. The original Holley Pro Jection systems were one of the few that did not use them. On the MS2 V3 or 3.57 the map sensor is usually built on the main board and you run a hose to it. I believe they have an optional wider range sensor available for extreme boost applications but the original sensor is still used to get a barometer (rough altitude) reading.

Mass airflow came became popular in the mid=late 80's. They go in the air inlet before the throttle body. They measure the flow of air entering the system. Systems without them basically guess what the airflow is based on temp and barometer which is fairly accurate but cant compensate for things like changes in the air filter. I believe MS2 does support them but you dont have to use one. They are somewhat expensive especially if you are looking for the larger ones.

8) the mas sensor is also known as a mass airlfow sensor, and the map sensor is amanifold air pressure sensor. you do and dnot use them together. if you are using a map sensor, you dont use the mas sensor as they will conflict with each other. on the other hand if you use a mas air system, you use the map sensor, but the line that goes to the manifold is left disconnected and thus the map sensor becomes a barometric air pressure sensor.

Back