96 mass air harness

mostly_broncos

I have a truck that im parting out and it has mass air injection. I had planned to sell the brain and the whole harness along with the MAF sensor and air box hoses and everything that would be needed to convert an older truck to mass air.

Being mostly a 351w guy I was surprised to see that it has a crank sensor and a special pulley/damper that goes with it as well as a special front cover where the sensor mounts. If I'm going to sell it as a kit then I think the front cover and damper need to go with it

I'd heard that 96's were OBD-II which makes it less desirable I think as a swap donor but I can't find an OBD-II connector. If it is OBD-II shouldnt they have a connector under the steering wheel? or were they located somewhere else in 96.

The part number on the computer is an F6TF-12A650-ED and it has a lot more pins than what you'd expect from an EEC-IV processor .

The OBD-II connector is under the right hand edge of the ash tray.
That's not a crank sensor on the damper, it's a misfire sensor.

Ok I see the connector Thanks. :D

I thought it would be a nice setup for someone to put in an older truck but the OBD seems like more than most people would want to screw with.

The problem with OBD-II is that it's designed to detect "tampering" and set off error codes when it does. The 96 has an early version of OBD-II which won't rat you out like some of the later versions but it is not as modification friendly as the OBD-I mass air systems used in Foxstangs.

If it detects "Tampering" does it just throw a code and go about its business or does go into some sort of reduced functionality mode?

If the crank sensor is only for misfires then its not involved in triggering spark in any way?

Some failures put it in limp mode but i cannot tell you which ones
The misfire sensor has nothing to do with spark timing; that is handled by the PIP in the dizzy.

Do you still have this mass air harness and associated parts? im interested in doing a mass air swap on my 90 for the tuneability without having to go full megasquirt, since i have an e4od and dont want to go aftermarket BE Controls, and possibly ruin my freshly rebuilt transmission. If you do still have it shoot me a pm, im relatively new on the forum (this is my first post) but i am serious about getting it. the junk yards around here dont have what i need. they have everything but what i want. If you could let me know a price and whatnot i would appreciate it. thanks.

Your 90 E4OD has different pinouts from the 96. You need to get pinout diagrams of both transmissions and determine if the functions are all the same and that a conversion of the harness is even possible.

Back