Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Anyone here successfully running an aftermarket EFI System, Megasquirt, Holley Hp, Sniper, Atomic, FITech?

Moderator: Mod Squad

clintonvillian

Anyone here successfully running an aftermarket EFI System, Megasquirt, Holley Hp, Sniper, Atomic, FITech?

Post #1 by clintonvillian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 am

Just curious if anyone is running any of the above.

I can't imagine that someone hasn't put one of the new self learning systems on a six, but I am not seeing anything.

maxtrux
Location: Home is in OK, but currently working in Sacramento, CA

Re: Anyone here successfully running an aftermarket EFI System, Megasquirt, Holley Hp, Sniper, Atomic, FITech?

Post #2 by maxtrux » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:51 pm

I was planning on running a 4 bbl but have been rethinking the idea. I am contemplating using a FiTech system. I spoke with a guy that successfully ran one on a 2.3 Liter Pinto motor. Before I do that, I will be conferring with Bruce and Paul to get their input. It will cost more, but I'd really like this to be nice when I get finished. If anyone is wanting to stay on a tight budget, then obviously the carb is the way to go.
68 F100 300 auto; '78 T'bird 28K original miles; '86 F350 5.9 Cummins; '93 Lightning Turbo coming soon; '94 Mark VIII w/nitrous; '98 Ram V6 43K My dad's last truck; '99 Navigator; 2000 Excursion V10; 2011 F350 6.7; 2017 F350 6.7
Reckon my next one should be from the 50s but I do love the early 60s falcon

67Straightsix

Re: Anyone here successfully running an aftermarket EFI System, Megasquirt, Holley Hp, Sniper, Atomic, FITech?

Post #3 by 67Straightsix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm using Holley HP. Once I got the fuel map dialed in the car starts right up,and runs smooth. I Don't have very many miles on it, but so far I'm happy with it.

ahawks9er

Post #4 by ahawks9er » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm

There are quite a few threads of folks on here successfully running megasquirt and other systems. Some w/turbos, distributorless ign, etc.

Project92

Post #5 by Project92 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm running FiTech 4bbl on my 300. I've only test ran it on the engine for an hour or two but once everything was wired and setup correctly it ran pretty decent. I'm pretty impressed so far by it. I'm curious to see someone run the 2bbl version.

clintonvillian

Post #6 by clintonvillian » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:28 pm

What are you running for a distributor?

Are you letting the Snipe control timing?

AbandonedBronco

Post #7 by AbandonedBronco » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Yes, I have a Holley Sniper 850-550 on my 300.

I'd had a 4bbl carb on it for years, so I wavered back and forth between going with the 4bbl Sniper or the 2bbl Sniper, but was then advised by both forum members, and Holley, to go with the 2bbl setup since it's rated for 350hp (which is plenty for me) and flows 580cfm. Unlike a carb, it doesn't depend on air speed through the venturi to get crisp throttle response like a carb does, so a "big" 2bbl design works just great.

I very much like it. It fired right up from the first turn of the key, and has been a joy to drive since. I've never had such crisp throttle response. Plus, the cold weather options and drivability leaves the carb to shame.

I also love all the data I can read and pull up on the handheld. Engine vacuum/pressure, AFR, coolant temp, air temp, RPM, throttle %, fuel flow rate, battery voltage, just to name a few, as well as the data-logging to view and look over later.

For the fuel system, I used the system from a '85 302v8 since it was fuel injected, and in my body style / era.
1985 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. 300 I6. 9.1:1 CR, roller rockers, EFI manifolds and 2.5" exhaust. DUI ignition. 3.55 final drive, 5 speed ZF5. Holley Sniper EFI w/Offenhauser C Intake. 32" BFG KO2 A/Ts.

Twinturbor

Post #8 by Twinturbor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm using ms2 extra on my turbo 300. Pretty easy to use and very easy to wire up

clintonvillian

Post #9 by clintonvillian » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Twinturbor wrote:I'm using ms2 extra on my turbo 300. Pretty easy to use and very easy to wire up

How far along are you?

jimmyv65

Post #10 by jimmyv65 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm

I am running Megasquirt on a 250 I6. I documented the install FI Install
1966 Bronco-'78 250-Meagsquirted TBI, DUI, Header, Cam, Hydroboost & Front Disc, Uncut, 1" body lift, 2.0" suspension lift

Twinturbor

Post #11 by Twinturbor » Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 pm

My ms2 has been running for over a year on my project. As far as how well its working..... I had to have a custom clutch made from ram clutches to support all the torque I'm making. The ceramic clutch I had let go after 12psi of boost. It made it 3 days at 18psi. It only took one day to get everything tuned out on my engine

Ffkohler

Post #12 by Ffkohler » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:52 pm

AbandonedBronco wrote:Yes, I have a Holley Sniper 850-550 on my 300.

I'd had a 4bbl carb on it for years, so I wavered back and forth between going with the 4bbl Sniper or the 2bbl Sniper, but was then advised by both forum members, and Holley, to go with the 2bbl setup since it's rated for 350hp (which is plenty for me) and flows 580cfm. Unlike a carb, it doesn't depend on air speed through the venturi to get crisp throttle response like a carb does, so a "big" 2bbl design works just great.

I very much like it. It fired right up from the first turn of the key, and has been a joy to drive since. I've never had such crisp throttle response. Plus, the cold weather options and drivability leaves the carb to shame.

I also love all the data I can read and pull up on the handheld. Engine vacuum/pressure, AFR, coolant temp, air temp, RPM, throttle %, fuel flow rate, battery voltage, just to name a few, as well as the data-logging to view and look over later.

For the fuel system, I used the system from a '85 302v8 since it was fuel injected, and in my body style / era.

Do you have any more pictures of the install?

jdlaugh430

Post #13 by jdlaugh430 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 am

I'm using MegaSquirt on my build. Been operational for a few months now. Somewhat steep learning curve but doable.

I removed the original carb, intake and exhaust and hand-built my own intake and fuel injection system to fit inside the engine compartment of my Econoline pickup. Runs great! Here is a Short video of the engine running. Plus a couple pictures:

Last edited by jdlaugh430 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
James, Tulsa, OK
1965 Econoline "Heavy Duty" Pickup
"A Work in Progress"

clintonvillian

Post #14 by clintonvillian » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 pm

jdlaugh430 wrote:I'm using MegaSquirt on my build. Been operational for a few months now. Somewhat steep learning curve but doable.

I removed the original carb, intake and exhaust and hand-built my own intake and fuel injection system to fit inside the engine compartment of my Econoline pickup. Runs great!

Short video of the engine running.

Nice, are you okay with the TFI, or will you convert it to something else someday???

jdlaugh430

Post #15 by jdlaugh430 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm using the TFI module, coil and distributor from an early '90s F150 with the 4.9. So far so good. The distributor was a direct drop-in for my 240 engine, despite the 30-year difference in age. The key step was getting MS to recognize the signal from the distributor's internal Hall Effect sensor, that way there's no need for EDIS or a 36-1 wheel. Everything was pretty simple from there. This system would work on any 240, 300 or 4.9 engine.

Long as it's working, I will stick with this system. My only real concern is how the TFI module stands up to the heat inside the tight Econoline engine compartment, which can get pretty toasty.
Last edited by jdlaugh430 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James, Tulsa, OK
1965 Econoline "Heavy Duty" Pickup
"A Work in Progress"

motorsickle1130

Post #16 by motorsickle1130 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:47 pm

My apologies, as this doesn't exactly apply to your question, but I picked up a 4bbl sniper system, and in-tank fuel pump for use on a barely started 300 turbo build.
It's still in the box...
I'm not sure what the other systems require, but Holley strongly advises running 60lbs on your fuel system, as well as a return line back to the tank. I decided it was a good opportunity to upgrade everything, so I picked up a drop in 38 gallon tank from LMC (they don't package very well. flanges are bent. will need pressure testing), new 3/8 hardline, inline fuel filter, drop in pump, and all associated fittings.
I'm at about $2000 for everything (mostly from Summit), and so far no gain :| .... new baby currently prevents me from spending all of my Saturdays in the shop.

AbandonedBronco

Post #17 by AbandonedBronco » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Ffkohler wrote:Do you have any more pictures of the install?

I do. Lots more.
Here's some of the highlights.

I found a coolant return inlet that was threaded for the ported vacuum switch, which had the same thread pattern as the coolant temp sensor.

AN-6 Fuel lines

Fuel pressure test. :D

Wiring...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7qH_dvZnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah7alvyiYT0
1985 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. 300 I6. 9.1:1 CR, roller rockers, EFI manifolds and 2.5" exhaust. DUI ignition. 3.55 final drive, 5 speed ZF5. Holley Sniper EFI w/Offenhauser C Intake. 32" BFG KO2 A/Ts.

clintonvillian

Post #18 by clintonvillian » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 pm

How hard are the fuel tables to setup?

Anyone running a TFI distributor with the "kits" (Atomic, Holley Sniper, FAST, ETC)?

AbandonedBronco

Post #19 by AbandonedBronco » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm

On the Sniper, the fuel table is already set up.

You enter in your engine's specs, and it'll create a fuel map that's "close" and will at least get you driving.

Then, there's the AFR map. This is a basic map that tells the computer what Air/Fuel ratio you want it to shoot for at a specific cylinder pressure vs. RPM. It, again, has a basic one set up for you.

Then, as you drive, it reconfigures the fuel map to hit the AFR values you have set.

You can tweak/tune the AFR map for smoother transitions, etc, which really helps. Then, if necessary, you can go in and manually tweak the fuel tables.

But, all of that is optional. It'll run as-is, and be pretty good for most people.

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Post #20 by 65coupei6 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:26 pm

The FiTech is the same as the Sniper. I just drove from San Francisco to Reno, NV and back. About 500 miles round trip. From sea level to 7,200 feet over the Sierra Mountains. No problems. The FI performed great.

I am just running a DS-II. On the smaller FiTech you can not do timing control. On the more expensive units you can lock out the dizzy.
...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. VI (CI) Aluminum Head, Holley 350, Schneider 264/274 cam,
Headers, DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

Build That Six With Parts From VintageInlines.com

E1ghtTrack

Post #21 by E1ghtTrack » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 pm

I am running a Holley sniper 2300 on my 200 3.3L inline in my 65 Mustang and works great. I have seen the biggest improvements in overall performance since installing. Starting is easier, idle is smoother, throttle response/acceleration is better, and gas mileage went up about 5 miles to the gallon. With my Weber setups ( they like to run rich ) I was getting 12-14 miles to the gallon and now with my Holley Sniper setup I am getting 17-20 miles to the gallon, depending how much I run A/C and the weight of my foot. I drive about 60 miles a day to and from work and the difference in the performance has made my drive to and from work a lot more fun.

Here is a link to my recent block swap - You can see my Holley Sniper setup in the last few pics.

EightTrack's recent Block Swap
65 mustang 200, C4 trans, headers, borla exhaust, HEI Distributor, large log modified with CI adapter, Holley Sniper EFI 2300 2BBL , Comp Cam, cold air induction with engine dress up from Classic Inlines.

Pathines

Post #22 by Pathines » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 pm

MagaSquirt interests me for a number of reasons. Tunable with a lap top, uses a MAP system, and other reasons. I'm very likely to add this to my engine. It's a great system.
'93 F-150, 4.9L, 5-speed, stock, lots of miles

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #23 by jamyers » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Not on a FordSix, but we just got a Holley Sniper going on a Ch*vy 350.

Thoughts:
* The truck runs as well or better than it ever did with a Q-jet, and we're nowhere near done getting it dialed in.
* EFI is not a solution for a poorly-running engine - EFI will highlight and exaggerate any weaknesses, and drive you to drinking.
* Make SURE the ignition is 100%!!! ANY misfire is seen as a lean mixture, leads to more fuel, fouling plugs for more misfires, etc, etc, etc.
* FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION WIRING INSTRUCTIONS - poor connections, poor grounds, not hooking straight to the battery, running wires along spark plug wires, etc will all lead you to pull your hair out. Do it right the first time!
* EFI ain't cheap - the most budget-conscious way I can see is still over $1000, more if you don't have a GOOD fuel system already, and more yet if you want it to control your ignition.
* The amount of data you can capture, and the accuracy you can tune, is astounding - but with any system, there's a learning curve when you look at datalogs and try to figure out what the heck it all means.
* The Holley Sniper forums and tech phone people are a wealth of information - which is why we went with Holley (fwiw, I *hate* Holley 4-bbl carbs)
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.