Valve job for 200 6

A reply to my post on the Jeep forum. PO=prior owner.

www.virtualjeepclub.com":odvsms1x said:
The PO of my Willys Wagon repowered it with a 1950s 223-6 Ford engine. It kind of looks like the one you posted.

The air cleaner is a 'space saver style' that was used in some Ford cars of that period.

The PO was very creative in getting this engine to fit in a 1954 Willys Station Wagon.

engine.jpg

The oil filler looks like it's in the valve cover. The one I looked at had the oil filler on the rt side with no holes in the valve cover. Still a mystery. Smitty

According to the pictures on edwin's site the starter is on the wrong side, and I don't recall seeing any old Ford starters with a solenoid attached to them.

Anybody on here a cornbinder fan? I'm having troubles finding a picture of an International 220 i6 (used from the 50's-60's I think). Dad's got a couple early trucks sitting in the pasture (holding the dirt down) and this could be one of those motors.

-ron

For what it's worth, I forgot to mention on this forum that the "FORD" script was stamped on the alternator bracket. It may just be a Ford alternator bracket on a different make engine. I'm hoping that if enough people see these posts - someone will have a definite answer.

Here is the definitive answer I got from the jeep forum:

"Its a 58-65 AMC 195.6 came in ramblers and such.

First off is the valve cover with the screws that hold it down, second is the fuel pump at the rear of the engine, third thing I noticed is the exhaust manifold has three branches with paired exhaust runners, The last thing is it has an AMC style distributor. I could tell its not a ford since the carb and exhaust are on the drivers side, I think fords are always passanger side (not sure though).

Vin man I am pretty sure the later AMC 6cyls can be swapped in place of the 195.6 wih a change of the motor mounts. If I remeber the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same, Dont take my word though, you might want to research it a little more. If I remeber right the 195.6 requires head retorquing every 8-10,000 miles"

Back