DSII vs DUI

DUI + optimized ignition curve, integrated assembly, simplified wiring, performance electronics, consistent hot sparks throughout the rev range.

Keep in mind that the DSII is an "emissions control device" designed to provide a consistent spark for 50,000 miles, not a performance distributor. To optimize it for higher performance you need to do more than just take it out of the box. It is far better than points, however.

Can you make a DSII work as well? Sure, but you need to spend a good bit of time figuring out how to recurve the thing properly, add a decent ignition box, find a good coil....

Ok this May insult , but here goes, first a bit of history , I recurve Dist and anyone here can Google me ( Faron Rhoads ) most of the Dist's I work on are in engines that make more power at Idle than most of the combos on here , Now with that said, A Recurve means nothing on a dyno ,and Everything on the Street on a Dyno the pulls usually start at 3000 , and by then the curve is all in ,( or should be , the only exception to having your dist curved for a Dyno pulls sake ) and I suspect THAT"S where the extra pony's came from , I like this site, BUT everything sold through CI , is NOT , the must have part , many of them are fantastic , The DUI isn't one , its an overpriced Chevy Dist, that dosen't even have an adjustable Vac adv? , mated to Ford six base, if you bought one fine, it will work since most of the sixes on here never see the 5000, if you didn't get a Duraspark ,a 68 and up Dist have it Curved correctly, and a good coil, good Wires . and an MSD 6al, ( if you really plan on above 5500rpms) , less money looks like its for a Ford ( because it is )and will power past 7500 ( although that's obviously an extreme case build ) Most of the stuff on here would be better off with a pertronix conversion and a 68 or later Dist , When even a points dist is New it will be splitting straws to find extra HP in an electronic system , its a week later , that they start to and continue shine. A DUI is a GM Dist designed in 74 , no better than the Ford or Chrysler Dist of the time, or NOW again , NASCAR , or any other endurance style Racing does NOT use them. many Street machines and Hot Rods do , ( of course the ones for a GM are 79.95 ), ok this is my last post on DUI's Spend your money were you wish. In the end its usually that.

The link worked fine for me. It gives a good, step by step procedure for re-curving the DS2.

Bear in mind that there is no such thing as any one "perfect" curve, and the ideal timing will vary from day to day and season by season, even a different tank of gas will change things. This is why modern fuel injection has such an advantage; by using knock sensors, MAP sensors, O2 sensors, etc. they can constantly adjust the timing and fuel curves on the fly, something which we simply cannot achieve with "dumb" centrifugal advance mechanisms. If you could see the actual timing curve on most EFI engines it looks more like a sawtooth than a smooth curve.
Joe

Bottom line, DSII versus DUI is about three things. Cost, Appearance, and parts availability.

Performance can be made the same. I went with DSII after my pertronix failed (no fault of the pertronix) one night and I limped home on 3 cylinders firing for 20 miles. I wanted over the counter available parts since I drive my car to and from work during the summers. DSII fit the bill. I do have an MSD ignition box, which greatly improves the performance of the ignition system. Coupled with a Flamethrower 40kV coil, I don't think I can improve much beyond that other than a tailored ignition curve for low RPM performance or to go with a modern ignition system.

My project for this summer is to set up a Mega-jolt (or I may start using MS) to run with a ford EDIS system. I've been extremely impressed with the long term performance of this system on my 1991 explorer. 325k miles on the original distribution pack.

I do admit the DUI looks nice, but for me it isn't worth the extra money and I don't see how I would gain any power over my current DSII set up.

64 200 ranchero":1ckj23qt said:
dsII with msd 6al, now my car feels ilke i can take a v8

Yeah, so does mine, first and second gear keep up, theres the small matter of when those damn 289's reach their power band. Now honds, shoot i can take a civic uphill and with the five speed swap on flat ground for a while till they hit 7,000 rpms :p.

In all seriousness, my falcons exhaust smells less then most of my friends late 80s early 90s cars and it has no emissions equipment (its a 65) ever since i put the msd in. Thats with it running rich with the two barrel, but the damn thing works so well :). Only thing i would caution against is that apparantly some of the early models on the adapters used the reverse wiring pattern and mine was one of them so it screwed up my timing till i figured it out. Baffled me cause i thought it was the carb that needed tuning and i would tune it at a gas station to perfection with my vacuum guage (of course i keep it in the car) and then i would go to leave and it would barely drive. After i fixed that though it was smooth sailing ever since.

Lazy JW":151hdt4a said:
1967JMG":151hdt4a said:
..... approx horse power gains from the DSII were 5-10 and the DUI was 10-20, so i was wondering what the difference was......

I'm too lazy to look it up but I am "guessing" they used a stock DS2 in this test (someone please correct me If I am wrong) and the DS2 "tin can" coil is essentially the same as the stock breaker point type coil. The DUI uses the "E-type" coil (so called due to the shape of the iron core) which is definitely superior because of its higher inductance capability; if you hang an "E-type" coil on a DS2 then the game is much closer to even.
Joe

Never heard of an "E-type" coil. Who makes those?

The General Motors HEI coil is an "E"-type as is the Ford TFI, there are no doubt a number of others.

Thanks, always learning something new on this site.
I will do a search to learn more about these. Have not seen anyone talk about using E-coils until this thread.

8) the term E coil comes from the fact that modern ignition coils are coated with epoxy rather than being put in a metal can filled with oil. the biggest reason being that epoxy, or E coils, are far more vibration resistant and thus last longer.

Back