All Small Six 200 carb and distributor

This relates to all small sixes
Hello,

I’m working on making my sons 65 200 6cyl better. Explorer rear end, v8 steering and disc brake conversion and we would like to do something with the carb and distributor. I have been reading quite a bit and it looks like both off of a Fairmont are good options. We have a 1981 fairmont at the local yard with a 200 motor. Ive read about 78-79 models, but not as later as an 81. Can anyone provide any insight? Thanks

All years of Ford 200 six's from 1977 to 1982 use basically the same DuraSpark II (DS II) ignition system its a very good one and easy to install and hook up on the earlier Ford 170, 200, & 250 Six's made before 1975 and all the way down to the 1965 models. If you also get the stock ignition harness and all the factory parts its almost a plug and play system with only two wires to hook up the Red and the White from the ICM two wire Plug (be sure to get that Plug and some of the wire coming out of it also for an easy hook up). The 1978 & 1979 used the Carter YFA Carb I am fairly sure its a very good Carb, the 1981 & 1982 is the Holley 1943 its a good carb also it does have more electrical hook ups to it, I have one and the DS II engine ignition harness I believe that the Carb wiring hook ups are at least partly in that same ignition harness. Best of luck Edited

Thank you for the info. I figured the dis would work as Rockauto specs the same unit for both years. They spec the Holley 1946 for the carb.

Unfortunately today was a bust. Looks like someone stabbed a fork into the engine bay shattering the distributor, breaking it off wear it mounts to the motor and shearing off the carb making both completely unusable.

We did find a very early 80’s econo van but it appeared to only come with a 300 so we didn’t take its dis or carb. Only thing we got were a set of 8m plug wires. All the dis modules were blue. I wanted to hold out for red but we’ll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Mostly all of the DuraSpark II parts are exactly the same such as the Blue Strain Relief ICMs are the same for every engine so that will work. The Ignition Harnesses are also basically all the same on the hook ups there will only be a little difference in the lengths but a 300 should work well. All the Six cylinder Distributor Caps & Rotors are exactly the same, all the Ignition Coils are the same. The Distributors are the only part that is engine specific. The Carter YFA Carb from a 1978 to 1984 300 could work on the 200 six. Those Red Strain Relief ICM's were only used in 1975 on the DuraSpark I ignistion system why would you want that, are you wanting to use a Turbo Charger on the 200 engine?

I thought I read that the red one put out more power. A CA model that strives to make a more complete combustion for emissions, or more spark.

I thought the carb on the 300 had a larger hole at mounting and a larger spread on the mounting bolts.

Yes the Red one dose and also models had an Ignition Retard for use with the Turbo engines, they likely wont be very easy to find. A Blue Strain Relief ICM will have all the spark energy you would need and then some. Or if you want even more power than you can use the MSD 6AL as the Control Box. On that 81 200 Fairmont is the Head still on it? That would be a great improvement for your 65 200 engine its a Big Log that out flows the 1963 1/2 to 1968 Small Log Heads by a huge amount that would really wake up your engine some. Even if you don't want to use that head grab it there are many of our site members that would likely want to buy it from you. On the 300 Carbs yes they do have a larger Hole but that is why they also will Flow more Air / Fu el Mix into the engine for more power potential you can make a Funnel like Aluminum Carb adapter or if you use that 81 Fairmont Head it has the bigger 1 3/4 inch carb mounting hole so basically a bolt on then just needs Some Carb Linkage rework or better yet get the Cable Throttle of the Ford 300 to use or a 1970 up Mustang, the Mavericks, or use the LoCar aftermarket one. best of luck

Back