All Small Six 200 Fuel Filter help

This relates to all small sixes

escaper

Supporter 2021
Just purchased a new fuel pump for my '65 I6 200 from CJ Pony Parts and both inlets / outlet have the same fittings. Nothing that indicates which is which that I can find. Anyone install one of these that can help me out? My gut says the one closest to the filter would be the inlet which matches the two air holes (I am assuming for the diaphragm) Any guidance would be much appreciated, otherwise I will just go with the gut and and see if there is any outlet pressure then switch them if there isn't. Note that I can blow air in the one near the filter and have it come out the other, but not vise versa. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If you push on the actutator lever , you should feel an obvious suction effect on the INPUT port.

OR - the pics of my Falcon appear to show the port closer to block - upper one as IN on the old filter can style pump.

have fun

The one next to filter should go to the carb the is from the fuel tank. Yes X2 if you push the lever as powerband said there should be suction and that would be the inlet. You could also hook up a short hose to the one next to the Diafram and try moving the lever with hose it a little can of fuel if it sucks fuel into the pump than that's the inlet for fuel coming from the tank this is what I think it should be. Good luck

Thanks! No more leak .... there! Now too much pressure at the carb, so I either picked up some gunk and it needs a cleaning or I need to regulate it. I have a carb kit on the way (car sat since 2006, so a lot of issues like this) already, and need to replace the rubber lines due to dry rot, but that'll have to be tomorrow. I ordered an inline fuel pressure gauge and regulator, so we'll see what that tells me. I've heard these Korean pumps can put out some pressure, more than the autolite likes in any case. Always looking for an excuse for another tool regardless!

Congrats looks like you have a fastback 2 + 2. Well you got on part of it fix and that's good. Since the car sat for so long did all ready clean or flush out the fuel tank?

Not yet, haven't had the time. It was a restoration project, mostly completed except for engine, which pretty much remained untouched. Original paint, but new interior, floor pans, etc. Overall in excellent shape though. Carb had some issues (suspected float issues) before I replaced the fuel pump. I have a ton of stuff on order to get her in shape. Carb was next on my list, but the kit won't be here for a couple weeks apparently. Bottom end of the engine is great. Good compression on all cylinders, leaner on the external cylinders than the front, but no surprise there. My last 2+2 i6 was 40 years ago, so I've been wanting another one for a long time. Last one was sold from under me by my ex while I was stationed in Korea.

Yes sounds like it will be a very nice car with a little time put into. Its been many years since I had one of them from the late 1970's through the 1990's had two nice street cars and also two rougher ex race cars. Also had a real nice 67 Fastback and another that I was pieceing back together out of two cars but thats been many years ago now. Keep up the good work they are great cars and in my OPIN the best looking Mustangs!

Yeah, I pulled the top of the carb off. not much in the way of overt dirt, but the float was mostly filled with gas. I poked a couple holes in it to blow out the gas then soldered it back up. I did a quick leak check and nothing overt, but I also ordered a new float off Amazon just in case. Took care of the flooding issue I was having though. I agree on the best looking, but my wife tells me I err. She told me to start looking for a Sunbeam Tiger or a coupe for her.

That's excellent you found the cause of the flooding I have also fixed lots of the brass floats just like that works great. Lol my wife hated almost ever one of my Mustang Fastback's except for one 1966 she drove it at least once in awhile it was much more mellow. She liked a 1965 Falcon fordoor we had soon after we were married it was a realy good car 200 six C4 even had Air, she still talks about it sometimes I have been looking for another nice one to fix up for her. Sounds like you will need to find her one of those two, maybe the Fastback's are little to sinister looking for women?

LOL. Doubtful. She also wanted me to look at Cobra kit cars. She wants something off-the-wall and fun to drive. She is coming around on the 2+2 though. My guess is she'll want a coupe as a project car once this one is under control. I can live with that.

Lol yes it's good to have a wife that supports your car hobby! Yes those Cobra's are nice to probally a lot easier than finding one of the Sunbeam Tigers too.

Back